Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Default Nissan or Hitachi starter?

I have the Toyota Corolla starter on my Swift and Zink but it doesn't fit in my March VFF due to the chassis brace under starter.

The starter that was in the car had "240Z" written on the custom nose piece. I've read in old threads that it needs to be the Nissan starter with two-piece nose housing but the Rockauto starter I got didn't have that and had a different solenoid than my current. The solenoid is the problem on my car.

Can anyone confirm the starter Part number or vehicle application for the right starter?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 1397

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

from what I can see of the solenoid on that unit you have a hitachi starter.
    my experience is that the motor and gears are ok, but hitachi solenoids are junk at best

Denso much better

Marc Bushman is the guy to get a very good denso unit from
    630-279-8834
    Last edited by Charlie Schmidt; 03.18.19 at 2:46 PM.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Schmidt View Post
    from what I can see of the solenoid on that unit you have a hitachi starter.
    my experience is that the motor and gears are ok, but hitachi solenoids are junk at best

Denso much better

Marc Bushman is the guy to get a very good denso unit from
    630-279-8834

OR, contact Pete @ totalprecisionengines.com---he was selling a unit with an internal solenoid
    Yes, it's Hitachi, as stated in the title. But as mentioned, the ND (Toyota type) won't fit. Both my cars with the NDs have room for the big ND solenoid to the bottom of the car. My March doesn't so I need to stay with the Hitachi.

Further research based on the numbers in the nose casting show that the 16584 (Lester #?) is the one I need. I'm not interested in a high dollar starter for a stock-compression engine. I need to be frugal for some of the other high-dollar stuff needed!
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 29

Yes, it's Hitachi, as stated in the title. But as mentioned, the ND (Toyota type) won't fit. Both my cars with the NDs have room for the big ND solenoid to the bottom of the car. My March doesn't so I need to stay with the Hitachi.
    Further research based on the numbers in the nose casting show that the 16584 (Lester #?) is the one I need. I'm not interested in a high dollar starter for a stock-compression engine. I need to be frugal for some of the other high-dollar stuff needed!

Garey:

Buy a Bosch reman part number SR140X starter. You are right to ask for a Lester number of 16584 (industury number) . It was OE back in the day and used on 240X thru 280X Datsuns. Bosh does more than just wash off their re-manufactured parts ...you get a new solenoid and other new parts....not a cheapo "rebuilt" motor. In Lester there are two types of intermediate adapters...it does not matter because you have the parts that you have now. If you need a second starter you might look for the EARLY intermediate adapter and you can still can get front adapters from Tilton 54-4xxxx Series staters (now discontinued).

Remove your flat adapter and also the intermediate adapter on your starter as shown above on your picture.....and use the NEW motor and solenoid and the lever. I suggest you use and drill and tap the 1/4" NC on the long thru case bolts and drill the heads for safety wire. It helps support the starterand the bolts will not un-screw.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 143

Try looking at a Speedwell Starter. Great customer service too!

Liked: 34

Default wrench?

Is the 11/16 wrench just there because or is it a permanent installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave SanF 50 View Post
    Is the 11/16 wrench just there because or is it a permanent installation?
    That is welded to the motor mount nut so that the nut can't spin off.
    Or it's an observation test....
    Or, I'm terrible at staying on task and am usually trying to do multiple things
    Last edited by Garey Guzman; 03.22.19 at 4:34 PM.
    Garey Guzman

Thread Information