Liked: 6

Default FC/F2000 in NASA and SVRA

Hello all,
    Recently purchased a 89 Reynard Pinto and I’m just trying to find out some information on where i can race. COTA is the closest track to me and i would like to run an upcoming event May 3rd-5th with NASA. I’ve reached out to them with no response at all. Do they have a class or group i can participate in? I believe SVRA will let the car run in group 9? They have an event later this year at COTA. I know the obvious answer is SCCA but NASA seems to be thriving more than that sanctioning body in TX. As far as i know, I can get a NASA license and be recognized by most of the major race sanctions. Any suggestions i haven’t mentioned here to check out?

Contributing Member Ken Lawrence's Avatar
    Liked: 52

Default Try COMMA at Hallett

Hallet MRC near Tulsa, has several groups racing there. They have theirout COMMA series. Fun to run, alot of track time for the money. Super people to deal with.

Kenneth
    VD2000 FC

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lawrence View Post
    Hallet MRC near Tulsa, has several groups racing there. They have theirout COMMA series. Fun to run, alot of track time for the money. Super people to deal with.

Kenneth
    VD2000 FC
    I used to live in Tulsa and know about Hallett. Unfortunately its 8.5 hours from where i live now and not a feasible option to run. Looking to race in TX. Primarily COTA, MSR, and Texas motor speedway if NASA will let me run with them.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

NASA has no provision for any open wheeled car. From talking to officials with NASA in the past, it's not something they want to even consider.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default CVAR group 6

Had this note recently...

Gentlemen,

We wanted to update you on cut off date changes for four of our classes. The changes are now reflected on the CVAR web site.

FA/F2 cut off date has been changed from 1980 to 1986.

FF3 cut off date has been changed from 1986 to 1994.

FF2000 cut off date has been changed from 1986 to 1994.

S2000 cut off date has been changed from 1986 to 1994.

No other changes.

Assuming a FC? Sort of think your car might fit into their FF2000 bunch... check with CVAR. They run Eagle's Canyon and other places in Tx, as well as Hallett.....lost College Station a while back. Might be some other Motorsports Parks that have lapping days in Tx...

Often told: "Everything is bigger in Texas..." (tows included). Might need to move back to Tulsa, or just keep car there and buy/hire/build a plane?

(Just think how your image/legend will be enhanced when Fri. you casually mention: "flying up to Ok for a quick motor race...let's get back on this soon.......say, Monday, next?" Keep 'em off balance...........)

Bob L.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbetty View Post
    Unfortunately its 8.5 hours from where i live.
    Pack up your stuff and move to Seattle or Portland you'll have 7 tracks within a 4 to 5 hour ez drive and a veru good FC series. With seperate championships for Pinto's and Zetec's.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 17

Default FC in Rexas

Hello all,
    Recently purchased a 89 Reynard Pinto and I’m just trying to find out some information on where i can race. COTA is the closest track to me and i would like to run an upcoming event May 3rd-5th with NASA. I’ve reached out to them with no response at all. Do they have a class or group i can participate in? I believe SVRA will let the car run in group 9? They have an event later this year at COTA. I know the obvious answer is SCCA but NASA seems to be thriving more than that sanctioning body in TX. As far as i know, I can get a NASA license and be recognized by most of the major race sanctions. Any suggestions i haven’t mentioned here to check out?
    We plan to have two Pinto-powered FCs at each of the next Texas SCCA races, MSR-Houston Memorial Day weekend and COTA last weekend in June. Details on www.MotorsportsReg.com or www.sowdivscca.com
    I’m not aware of any open-wheel classes in NASA but I’m also not familiar with their classes.
    PM me if I can help with any info on SCCA Texas racing opportunities.

Thank you! Very interested in the COTA event in June. how have the turnouts been around this area for FC?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmart View Post
    We plan to have two Pinto-powered FCs at each of the next Texas SCCA races, MSR-Houston Memorial Day weekend and COTA last weekend in June. Details on www.MotorsportsReg.com or www.sowdivscca.com
    I’m not aware of any open-wheel classes in NASA but I’m also not familiar with their classes.
    PM me if I can help with any info on SCCA Texas racing opportunities.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

In SVRA you will be in Group 9 with everything faster than a vintage FB: FC, FSV, FA, F2, Lites, Indy, F3000, F1.

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    In SVRA you will be in Group 9 with everything faster than a vintage FB: FC, FSV, FA, F2, Lites, Indy, F3000, F1.
    This is really an unfortunate grouping. I guess it makes sense but it’ll suck to run with relatively modern F1 cars. (I’m doing SVRA in June at MidOhio because it is a great event... I guess we’ll see how it goes...).

Yikes, that sounds dangerous. It will be similar to riding a lawn mower against shifter karts.

Yikes, that sounds dangerous. It will be similar to riding a lawn mower against shifter karts.
    Well, fortunately there are usually only about 10 cars in the run group. The FC, FSV, older FA cars seem to kinda run together and the others have a track day.

Default Last year.,,

List from last year...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

At the first SVRA event at Roebling last month, they combined Groups 2 and 9. I was in the slowest car, a VFF but there was no issue with the one Group 9 car as Jacek Mucha is an experienced and good driver. Most folks in the higher powered cars are not only quite able to handle their cars, they should be fairly experienced passing slower cars.

I started Formula car racing during a lull in popularity, at least in SoCal. The grouping was either with SRF or all the "wings & thing" and I don't recall an issue between anyone.

Awareness is key, whether you are passing or being passed!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

..and what a glorious sound when an F1 or F5000 car goes by...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Your's truly being passed by a Benneton at Indy in 2015. Note I'm more or less in focus, the B is a blur. Denise was panning to get me when the B popped into the frame. I figured he was going at least 70mph faster than me.

Liked: 597

Central Fla. Region SCCA here.....94/95 VanDiemen FC. I spoke to NASA in Fla. and their response was > you go get a grid organized then call us back and we'll make a place for you in our schedule. So I was tasked with getting ....what? 10 or so cars?

I decided to not carry their ball

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

Hello all,
    Check out CVAR. I am running an "88 Reynard FC that I have just brought back to life. An '86 Reynard FC and Swift SE3 FC is joining us in May at MSR-Houston. All are Pinto motors. At this time, you will make four.

Contact me if you wish to talk - John Taphorn 713.553.5475.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

kea

John,
    thanks for the invite! I’m still sorting the car out as well as a license. I’ve raced mostly dirt (karts, mini sprints, sprint cars) as well as shifter karts in the past and need to jump through a few hoops to get a license or get creative. I’m hoping I can make Cota. I really don’t want to throw $1700 at a school unless absolutely necessary. It looks like my only options are msr school late April or wait until November. Kind of frustrating to see very little licensing options for SCCA in this region. The only CRÊ events that I could run to bypass a school are in Florida. I’ve messaged a few SCCA admins to no response.

Also im currently working on figuring out a new starter for the Reynard as it is just clicking upon hitting the button, I’m guessing the solenoid is shot. Received the car last week so still some work to do.

Liked: 830

John,
    thanks for the invite! I’m still sorting the car out as well as a license. I’ve raced mostly dirt (karts, mini sprints, sprint cars) as well as shifter karts in the past and need to jump through a few hoops to get a license or get creative. I’m hoping I can make Cota. I really don’t want to throw $1700 at a school unless absolutely necessary. It looks like my only options are msr school late April or wait until November. Kind of frustrating to see very little licensing options for SCCA in this region. The only CRÊ events that I could run to bypass a school are in Florida. I’ve messaged a few SCCA admins to no response.

Also im currently working on figuring out a new starter for the Reynard as it is just clicking upon hitting the button, I’m guessing the solenoid is shot. Received the car last week so still some work to do.
    Austin,
    Are you already a member of SCCA? If not SIGN UP.. and then contact your local SCCA Division Licensing Administrator. Give them your resume and I'm betting they will waive you to a 'provisional' Full Competition License. That means a FULL SCCA LICENSE that is only subject to you "Performing admirably" in at least ONE SCCA event .. of any kind. With your background it won't hurt a THING to ask. The GCR specifications have kinda gone out the window in the last few years. Entries are dwindling in most classes and another entry is a blessing at most events .. as long as you have decent RACING experience of most any kind and can keep your nose (and the rest of your car .. and everyone else's) CLEAN.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Austin,
    Are you already a member of SCCA? If not SIGN UP.. and then contact your local SCCA Division Licensing Administrator. Give them your resume and I'm betting they will waive you to a 'provisional' Full Competition License. That means a FULL SCCA LICENSE that is only subject to you "Performing admirably" in at least ONE SCCA event .. of any kind. With your background it won't hurt a THING to ask. The GCR specifications have kinda gone out the window in the last few years. Entries are dwindling in most classes and another entry is a blessing at most events .. as long as you have decent RACING experience of most any kind and can keep your nose (and the rest of your car .. and everyone else's) CLEAN.
    I just joined last week, i reached out to my divisional admin but haven’t received a single response back. i messaged the Registar for the June COTA event and she forwarded that email to someone else with the reply that MSR has a course in April for $1700 i could attend. I refuse to pay that amount of money for a 3 day school. I’m competent behind the wheel and wouldn’t even mind starting dead last for a couple of events to prove i can be on a track in a safe manner. I will send a follow up email later today in hopes of some good news. i’d hate not being able to join in on a few races with the car because of a $1700 school. I’m fully prepared to run both events in June at COTA if they will let me. Hoping for the best on this one. Will follow up with their decision.

Liked: 133

Contact your Division's Board of Directors for assistance. If you are in SouthWest contact
    Daniel R Helman dhelman@scca.com (281)324-6664
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

John,

Coincidently, rebuilt my starter and spare the other weekend. Both required a cleaning only. Very simple project and improved performance demonstrably. Removal is simple even with engine in place. Minor project - don't let that slow you down.

Quote Originally Posted by jtaphorn View Post
    Coincidently, rebuilt my starter and spare the other weekend. Both required a cleaning only. Very simple project and improved performance demonstrably. Removal is simple even with engine in place. Minor project - don't let that slow you down.
    Definitely not, minor setback. The carb throttle linkage is going to take some engineering. It is a mirror image of everything else I’ve seen. But again, pretty basic stuff. I have seat foam arriving this week. Need to bleed brakes, figure carb situation out (still needs race prepped) and it should be good for a shakedown. I’ve seen another email to the southwest licensing admin and still have awaiting for a response. I’ll comtact the director soon if I don’t receive anything back.

Liked: 29

Default Run Group

About three years ago I lobbied to move FC to the Group that consists of FF, FB etc, for the Redman vintage event at Road America, and this has worked out well. SVRA might be open to this change as well. It's safer, and better for everyone. More and more FC's are showing up in Vintage racing. Last Sept at Road America we had 10 in our race group.

Jim Gustafson

Jim - I was primed to offer assistance to SVRA in a more commen-sense approach to classing and grouping FCs. We had a good group at the 2017 OWWC, but they had some strange concept of classing SCCA vs non-SCCA cars, and the F2000 pro series took a couple of 1995-era entries as well. We had a decent group of FCs of all generations except the 1100cc Cossie time frame, including air-cooled cars, flat-bottom water-cooled cars and 1600cc ground-effect ralts along with the Pintos and a few Zetecs. Everybody had a great time and with a little tweeking it would be even better.

Then cue up the regular vintage event the following weekend and back with group 9......

Was hoping to see an OWWC this year but no dice. I expect to be in G9 if I make the Cal Speedway event in a few weeks.

Thread Information