Liked: 10

Default Zink? Identification

Can anyone ID this chassis? The owner says it's a 1969 Zink. It's for sale but missing it's bodywork. I have no idea what it is or what it's worth, or how hard it would be to find bodywork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48366982_10216606264365385_197168380757671936_n.jpg 
Views:	847 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	84130  

Liked: 23

Zink C-4 with original Z-bar ..... cool.
    A pretty popular car. Bodywork should be available

Liked: 1403

The car would make a good project for a Vintage FV. The frame has some missing bits. The roll bar is not something that is going to be acceptable at any track. Body work should not be a problem. I do have molds for the cowl and nose that would have been original on this car. The engine cover and a Daytona tail might be a challenge to find molds but would really add to the vintage appeal..

The side panels are easily made from aluminum. The original side panels were galvanized steel the were part of the belly pan which formed a stressed skin construction. That might be legal as a vintage car but was not allowed sometime around 1970.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by WNYVeeRacer View Post
    Zink C-4 with original Z-bar ..... cool.
    A pretty popular car. Bodywork should be available
    OK good to know.

I read that C-4s were built in '64, C-5s in '65 etc. Guess that was not too accurate.

Liked: 1403

My knowledge of the Zink FV numbers is not very good prior to my first Zink FV in 1969.

What I remember is that there were maybe 3 distinct versions of the original FV. The original had a stressed skin frame. The next version was with fiberglass sides and the frame was redesigned to make up for that change. The last was a revised front bulkhead that made the car a little more aerodynamic. This change was at the front of the car and included a new nose and cowl. The cowl now included the bump up for the instrument panel and sides along the cockpit. Tjis version was produced in the early 1970's and preceded the Z12 FV.

There are certainly others who know this evolution better than I do. I was involved in FV production starting with the Z12. I did make a lot of zero roll rear suspension kits for the original Zink Vees.

Liked: 301

C4's were manufactured up to '73 or '74.
    I believe all vintage style body work is still available (new) from Dave Kazmierczak in South Bend, Indiana.
    I don't have current contact info for Kaz, but I do know he is a member out here on ApexSpeed.
    Glenn

Liked: 58

Default Bodywork

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 43

That's not the original Z-Bar. This version became available right around '74. Superior in my opinion. They also introduced the "super scoop" ram induction piece that year.

Liked: 43

The revised cowl was 1971. The first to use it was actually Harry Ingle at 1970 runoffs. It replaced the classic windshield look. It made the car look even sleeker.

Liked: 115

Yep, that's the Z-bar mine had in '74 - used by RB Haynes in '73. From the size of those tires, it looks like someone had at least begun to convert it to FST. My estimate of worth as is would be about $1500. Good basis for a restoration to vintage specs.

Quote Originally Posted by tppj View Post
    That's not the original Z-Bar. This version became available right around '74. Superior in my opinion. They also introduced the "super scoop" ram induction piece that year.

Thread Information