Liked: 482

Default Side radiator mount options ('89 Citation FC/FF)?

The radiators on each side of my car are simply set on the side pod floors and then loosely held in place by "fencing" that is part of the side pods. The car appears to have been run this way plenty so I don't have reason to believe it is a problem but it also doesn't seem as secure as it could (should?) be to me.

Is this a typical and reasonable approach or do folks recommend more solid mounts? As far as I know the car didn't run hot so I don't think more ducting is needed. Pic (this is an older pic so a few things are different but it gives the general idea):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Covered

For reference (doesn't really show much)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Make a channel out of thin ally, lay some rubber type of lining in the bottom of the channel, and attach the channel to the floor with 10/32 flathead screws from underneath.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Make a channel out of thin alloy, lay some rubber type of lining in the bottom of the channel, and attach the channel to the floor with 10/32 flathead screws from underneath.
    I prefer to mount them as loosely as possible as long as they remain sealed and bypass airflow is eliminated.

In my experience, in the case of a side impact, having them only minimally located can save them from being destroyed.
    Dave Weitzenhof

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I prefer to mount them as loosely as possible as long as they remain sealed and bypass airflow is eliminated.

In my experience, in the case of a side impact, having them only minimally located can save them from being destroyed.
    Thanks. This gives me some confidence it is okay as-is. I might reinforce some of the supports in the side pod material and/or add some cushioning to reduce vibration...

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Thanks. This gives me some confidence it is okay as-is. I might reinforce some of the supports in the side pod material and/or add some cushioning to reduce vibration...
    That would be the way to go, IMO.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I did put a thin piece of aluminum from the top of the rads to the sheet metal paneling over the top of the frame to steady them a bit. A pop rivet carefully placed in the edge of the rad housing and a 10-32 nutsert in the sheet metal. Still very loose

Thread Information