Liked: 130

Default Webber air horn for 32/36 DGV.....no numbers anywhere?......

I was poking around the www looking for some kind of finite chart or somebody's numbers they got from dyno research on these horns and seems there is nothing. Nothing that I could find anyway.

Has nobody done any dyno with these on and off to show results?

A friend of mine offered a convincing argument by saying if they did do any good, everyone at the run-offs would have them on.

Any thoughts?
    Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery...

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Your friend is correct.

(That's not to say that they weren't on everyone's car many years ago!)
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 110

On the dyno and on the rollers, the horns helped as bit but with the body work on, there was less power. Turned out that the with the length of the horns, it was too close to the rear cover for these to be an effect.

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Mark,
    Was that on a vintage Ford with the body at the level of the carburetor top and the airhorn exposed, or a modern Ford where the body enclosed the carb and air is fed in through the body?

BB
    BB2

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Bradpiece View Post
    Mark,
    Was that on a vintage Ford with the body at the level of the carburetor top and the airhorn exposed, or a modern Ford where the body enclosed the carb and air is fed in through the body?

BB
    Inquiring minds want to know... My car has them... hadn't considered they may not be good...

Liked: 482

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...weber+air+horn

Sounds like the answer might be "depends" as is often the case... Installed poorly with inadequate airflow space, could be bad. BUT, the idea is good. One post in another thread indicated jetting had to be changed for the horn but then top end was improved on the dyno. I'd like to see a direct comparison but that would take some doing to get a proper comparison.
    Last edited by EricP; 03.05.19 at 12:28 PM.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Velocity stacks can serve 2 purposes.

The first is to allow an area for the reversing air and fuel mixture a place to collect and not be dissipated into the air and lost (or worse catch fire from a backfire). This reversion occurs when the flowing mass of air and fuel suddenly hits a closed intake valve and heads back out again. This is more important in non-plenum situations seen in Weber DCOE systems and less so in V-8 motors with large central plenums below the carburator- they have a place for the reversing air/fuel to go. Our situation is more towards a plenum with the DGV and Ford intake and that being so we don't need a long velocity stack to contain the air/fuel mixture. So in this instance it neither helps nor hinders.

The second use of velocity stacks is to smooth the flow of air into the carb venturi, to make it more efficient and thus flow more air and make more power. The problem with our motors is that the carb and the venturi size limits the volume of air that can enter. Making a more efficient system to flow more doesn't help. So again in this instance it neither helps nor hinders again. This may be why you don't see engine builders who NOW use dyno data reccomend velocity stacks.

As an aside, running velocity stacks open vs with a mesh filter on them may cause an actual loss of air flow. This may hinder your production of power.

Hope this helps.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...weber+air+horn

Sounds like the answer might be "depends" as is often the case... Installed poorly with inadequate airflow space, could be bad. BUT, the idea is good. One post in another thread indicated jetting had to be changed for the horn but then top end was improved on the dyno. I'd like to see a direct comparison but that would take some doing to get a proper comparison.
    As linked in that post
    https://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/52848.015.htm

I like smooth edges. I could tell you it added power but I have no evidence.
    I installed it for the same reason we make smooth bends rather than abrupt turns.

Liked: 85

Default Velocity stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan31 View Post
    I was poking around the www looking for some kind of finite chart or somebody's numbers they got from dyno research on these horns and seems there is nothing. Nothing that I could find anyway.

Has nobody done any dyno with these on and off to show results?

A friend of mine offered a convincing argument by saying if they did do any good, everyone at the run-offs would have them on.

Any thoughts?
    Most of the leading cars at the runoff had no use for these; they were fuel injected Hondas !!

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 942

I asked Jay Ivey last September at his Open House. He said it was 1HP on the dyno.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    I asked Jay Ivey last September at his Open House. He said it was 1HP on the dyno.
    Then why doesn't he put one on all of his motors?

Where was the 1 HP, peak? at 6800?

Just curious....

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default vroom

i have seen this work on a dyno .......................marginal gain

but it looks cool as hell

if you ever finish behind a car using one, you will be motivated to purchase same

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by BorkRacing View Post
    Then why doesn't he put one on all of his motors?

Where was the 1 HP, peak? at 6800?

Just curious....
    I didn't pursue the discussion further. 1HP is well within the calibration tolerance of the dyno. I decided to invest the cost in driver coaching/simulator time instead, much better payout in seconds per lap.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information