Liked: 182

Default Gasket sealer?

What are your favorites for:
    -cork, pan, valve cover
    -head, composition
    -head , copper

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Cork RTV On pan, depending can dispense with gasket, use the end seals and a thin layer of RTV in place of the cork. Especially if the pan is stressed as in Swift and Citation and I ma sure others. On valve cover put sealer against cover so it does not wind uo glued to the block.
    Head Nothing If head and block are both true and flat and head is properly torqued never ever have had to use anything

Liked: 22

Default Pan Seal

On the pan we use the black permatex....make sure you follow the directions on how long it sits before application, how long before torqueing, how long before in use and works like champ. In a hurry......you get a hurry up job you need to redo...but oil is cheap!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Cork RTV On pan, depending can dispense with gasket, use the end seals and a thin layer of RTV in place of the cork. Especially if the pan is stressed as in Swift and Citation and I ma sure others. On valve cover put sealer against cover so it does not wind uo glued to the block.
    Head Nothing If head and block are both true and flat and head is properly torqued never ever have had to use anything
    Sure hate cleaning RTV off when it's done properly.
    Yamabond has become a favorite on non critical areas.
    surprised at my engine tear down to find copper coat on the head gasket.

Liked: 18

Do you know who built the engine?

Liked: 490

Default FF

Ivey has copper coated head gaskets, especially on aluminium heads, to prevent water seepage for quite some time.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 22

Default Copper on head gasket

Curious - the one time i tried it I made a big smeared mess as the head gasket was not EXACTLY in place and moved after the head went on top. How do you avoid it. My engine always comes back from the builder using copper and it looks pristine when I remove the head!! Does it dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    Ivey has copper coated head gaskets, especially on aluminium heads, to prevent water seepage for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    I've done the same and the old aluminum paint deal a long long time ago. I'm under the impression a lot of head gasket manufacturers suggest dry . Seems a belt and suspenders deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Curious - the one time i tried it I made a big smeared mess as the head gasket was not EXACTLY in place and moved after the head went on top. How do you avoid it. My engine always comes back from the builder using copper and it looks pristine when I remove the head!! Does it dry?
    Possibly a few old head bolts with the tops cut off, lightly screwed into the block to position the gasket and guide the head to place.
    slot the tops to use a screw driver to remove.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 490

Default FF

When you build as many Ford engines each year as Jay does, usually you get some insights into what to do, and why.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Thread Information