Liked: 101

Default Hearing loss strategy

Hi guys,

I recently had an environmental event that caused substantial permanent hearing loss.
    I have a Stilo Carbon helmet and tried the available earcups with speakers, but couldn’t understand transmission due to background noise.

Next I tried molded custom earpieces, but still couldn’t understand transmissions without my hearing aids.

Question : have any of you tried wearing hearing aids to improve voice recognition and using the custom earcups with the built in speakers ?
    The Stilo has this option, but didn’t know if anyone had tried it.

thanks,
    Bill.....partially deaf guy...

Liked: 96

Have you tried putting on a helmet while wearing your hearing aids? Do you get feedback?
    Semi-related: My friend chooses to not wear hearing aids while skiing due to the wind noise and because he wears a helmet.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrax View Post
    Have you tried putting on a helmet while wearing your hearing aids? Do you get feedback?
    Semi-related: My friend chooses to not wear hearing aids while skiing due to the wind noise and because he wears a helmet.
    Barry,
    Mmm...I won’t receive the actual aids for a week , but these have a smart phone app that allows 15 separate programs....wind cancelling is one of them.
    thanks,
    Bill

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

I wear two hearing aids and take them out during a race. Mine also have the phone app (blue tooth) but they also have noise canceling which the louder the noise the more they shut down so in loud exhaust noises they more or less turn off to save your ears. I am not sure what brand you are getting but I think most of the new ones do the same. Putting a helmet on while wearing them does cause feedback for a split second but then sort themselves out. If you wear them with a helmet be careful taking the helmet off as the padding will take the hearing aids with them. Pricey little units to lose.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    I wear two hearing aids and take them out during a race. Mine also have the phone app (blue tooth) but they also have noise canceling which the louder the noise the more they shut down so in loud exhaust noises they more or less turn off to save your ears. I am not sure what brand you are getting but I think most of the new ones do the same. Putting a helmet on while wearing them does cause feedback for a split second but then sort themselves out. If you wear them with a helmet be careful taking the helmet off as the padding will take the hearing aids with them. Pricey little units to lose.
    Hopefully the balaclava will prevent losing them. My Stilo has noise attenuating earcups with built in speakers, so I may try them with my hearing aids. Protect your hearing, boys and girls !!!

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I leave em out and use plain old ear bud speakers for my radio.

Liked: 281

Talk to Dawn at eareverything.com she is an audiologist who knows her stuff and does a lot of ear pieces for professional drivers and crew at the highest levels.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks !

Thread Information