Thread: Aim Smartycam

Liked: 29

Default Aim Smartycam

I'm in the market for a new AIM Smartycam GP and I see they offer both a 67 and 84 degree lens. In a open car which produces the best results. I've been using a Smartycam HD rev 2.1 in my closed car for a couple of years, but I really don't know what angle I have.
    Any input appreciated.
    Mike M.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Jorma View Post
    I'm in the market for a new AIM Smartycam GP and I see they offer both a 67 and 84 degree lens. In a open car which produces the best results. I've been using a Smartycam HD rev 2.1 in my closed car for a couple of years, but I really don't know what angle I have.
    Any input appreciated.
    Mike M.
    I like the 67 FOV, but lots of people like the 84. The 84 would give you a really wide view in an open car when mounted on the roll bar. The wide would also let you see the wheel position on track a little bit better. Do make sure you get the latest release of the SCHD GP 2.2 with the coax cable for the bullet cam, not the Rev 2.1 with the LVDS cable for the bullet cam.

Liked: 29

Thanks for the info, after looking at AIM's web site they suggest the 84 degree lens for open cars. I do have the 67 degree unit in my GT-1 car, but it's like driving a tank with very narrow slit clear viewing angle out the windshield. It's one of the reasons I'm going to an open cockpit car, it's a guessing game to locate apex's on right turns since the rules require an antiquated carb instead of fuel injection which would allow a lower hood line. Even NASCAR has gone to FI!.
    Good tip about the 2.2 version, apparently the newer cable is less prone to EMI.
    Mike M.

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    I like the 67 FOV, but lots of people like the 84. The 84 would give you a really wide view in an open car when mounted on the roll bar. The wide would also let you see the wheel position on track a little bit better. Do make sure you get the latest release of the SCHD GP 2.2 with the coax cable for the bullet cam, not the Rev 2.1 with the LVDS cable for the bullet cam.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Jorma View Post
    Thanks for the info, after looking at AIM's web site they suggest the 84 degree lens for open cars. I do have the 67 degree unit in my GT-1 car, but it's like driving a tank with very narrow slit clear viewing angle out the windshield. It's one of the reasons I'm going to an open cockpit car, it's a guessing game to locate apex's on right turns since the rules require an antiquated carb instead of fuel injection which would allow a lower hood line. Even NASCAR has gone to FI!.
    Good tip about the 2.2 version, apparently the newer cable is less prone to EMI.
    Mike M.
    I've put lots of cameras in Trans Am and Trans Am 2 cars. I don't get the carbs either....

Yes, the new cable is better with EMI (that's why they did it). It's a really nice camera unit. For open wheel, the GP is the way to go. When their is a roof, I like the all in one much better.

Thread Information