Liked: 30

Default Keeping your C Mod Formula Ford cool autoxing

Hey gang... hope to be back this year in the Van Diemen part time...

But curious question I was never able to solve back in 2015.

How are you folks keeping your Kent powered Fords cool especially with dual drivers or for Pro Solo ?

Electric water pumps? Or fans ?

Don

Liked: 310

My Reynard 85f has a fan on the left radiator.

Liked: 183

my old swift had twin radiators so I put fans on each with a variable speed fan controller driven off water temp. on really hot days I also sprayed down the radiators with water

Liked: 20

Mondiale/Kent had two 7” fans mounted directly to center mounted radiator. Powered with a separate battery they would arrest temperature rise but didn’t work well enough to lower water temp. Only ran them in grid and/or waiting in start line. Only occasionally needed to spray radiator with water.

Van Diemen/Honda with dual side radiators has ducted 7” fan on right side. When the fan runs the water temp drops quickly, pulling air through entire radiator makes a huge difference.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 80

Hey Don,

We've all ready talked about the radiator you have is to small

But I don't have any fans with the radiator I have and my car with 3 drivers at Crows on a 95+ day may get to 200 for the drive back to grid after a run, cool off change drivers and go.

I've change my car this year I hope for the better and hope to run a little cooler

Ben

Liked: 74

Hi Don,
    One thing that made a big difference in both my cars is using mostly water, with just a small amount of coolant. I tried to run a typical 50/50 mix so I didn't *have* to drain the coolant in the winter but the cars cool much better with mostly water. I didn't use a fan on either my Reynard or the VanDiemen for two drivers but I don't know about Pros. Best of luck!

Barry

Thanx guys ended up having the same radiator built that Ben had made for his RF84 and so far has been working great in 2 events I've run locally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190413_103553.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	85398  

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanx guys ended up having the same radiator built that Ben had made for his RF84 and so far has been working great in 2 events I've run locally. And yes mostly water with Motul Mocool added

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default FF Cooling

First off, my car used to be a Formula Continental, so it has more radiator than needed for an FF1600 engine.

Second, I use distilled water and a little bit of RedLine Water Wetter to add the lubricity and water adhesion needed for effective cooling. The distilled water is needed to reduce/prevent corrosion.

Third, I use a 180F thermostat in my car with 6-8 1/8" holes drilled in the side of it to allow coolant to bypass it. This allows the engine to warm up properly, but the coolant temp does not cycle a lot due to the thermostat opening and closing. The thermostat acts more like a temperature trimming device than a complete controller. This also allows air to pass thru the thermostat easily when filling and is a partial protection device for a failed thermostat.
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

Thread Information