Thread: Don Boughan

Liked: 444

Default Don Boughan

I was absolutely gutted to hear that we lost Don Boughan this week. Don was so helpful to me when I first started out, always would let me know when I did something stupid, or could improve somewhere. One of those guys that you always enjoyed being around... Going to miss those nights after the race having a cold one and shooting the $#!t.

GodSpeed Don

Last edited by BURKY; 02.11.19 at 11:49 AM.

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

RIP
    Condolences to family and friends.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 14

So sad to wake up to this news, was he ill? This I can say without reservation He was one of the most genuine humans I have met in this racing community. RIP Bonus

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 59

20 year good friend, wheel to wheel racer. They don't come any better or more generous than Don. Huge loss for his family and friends. We will miss him greatly.

Attached Images Attached Images

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

One of my favorite races, trading places with a driver I totally trusted. Miss Don already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgUGcpEHZNQ

Liked: 142

Only met him once but what a character that guy was! So sad to hear of his passing
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Started racing with Don and his brother Bill in 1999 when I first bought the Swift and ran as FC. Don and I fought for the SARRC Championship for four years. I believe it ended up 2/2.
    We would race close enough that in impound after we we're done high fiveing the Stewards would come over to discuss reports of on track contact. Despite crooked wings we would both swear it was only close racing with no contact.
    Never raced harder and closer with anyone. Wheel to wheel common but also the complete confidence in each other when interlocked at high speed. We also could have probably won awards for our sychronized spins. Could always expect cool down lap nerf when I did beat him.
    So much fun to be around on and off the track.
    A good friend, a loss that can only be filled with good memories.

13. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 12

Default Don Boughan

Quote Originally Posted by jim morgan View Post
    Started racing with Don and his brother Bill in 1999 when I first bought the Swift and ran as FC. Don and I fought for the SARRC Championship for four years. I believe it ended up 2/2.
    We would race close enough that in impound after we we're done high fiveing the Stewards would come over to discuss reports of on track contact. Despite crooked wings we would both swear it was only close racing with no contact.
    Never raced harder and closer with anyone. Wheel to wheel common but also the complete confidence in each other when interlocked at high speed. We also could have probably won awards for our sychronized spins. Could always expect cool down lap nerf when I did beat him.
    So much fun to be around on and off the track.
    A good friend, a loss that can only be filled with good memories.
    Well said by all always enjoyed my time on and off track with him He will be missed

15. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 271

Default Goodbye Don

The second picture of Don and Rossella racing at Daytona brought back some pretty good memories.
    Part of a good group of Sediv FC guys (and girls) a few years back
    Phil

17. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 79

So, so sad to here the news. Prayers to you Don

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...oughan-8155438.
    Last edited by Bob Coury; 02.11.19 at 9:22 PM.

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 13

Default I’ll remember Don...

As he ran from his big yellow trailer with a battery powered wheel gun in his hand, jumping over the fence between his rig and ours, in the pouring rain, to help Connie change us over to the rain set when we got caught out on the grid in a Sebring afternoon storm.

That’s who that guy was, always.
    Jon Swanson
    FF #43 CFR
    Swanson Production Partners
    407.948.0689 Cell

21. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Totally Good Dude.
    RIP, Racer

23. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 91

The Boughan’s were pretty constant figures in my childhood, seeing as I spent every weekend I could at the track. Don was a great guy; salt of the earth. I’ll remember his smile and grin hiding underneath that mustache, his sense of humor, and how he always seemed to be having a good time (during racing hours, and after). He epitomized what SCCA Club racing is about. The Club and SEDIV lost a big chunk of character with his passing.

Bonus Transportation (Don and Bill) were my first sponsor when I started racing Easykart 100 at Homestead. I got $500 for tires for the year, and a suit with their logo, and my name on it. I think I was more excited about the suit because I thought it made me look like the real deal. I had to write them a race report after each weekend, recapping what went right and wrong, and what we were going to learn from it. I learned a lot at a young age from hanging around race tracks, and a good bit of that came from Don. He will be sorely missed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

25. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 20

Well said Cole. Some of my fondest early racing memories involved racing against Don, his brother Bill, and Jim Morgan. One example comes to mind and makes me think of Don fondly. There was a regional at the Moroso, maybe 2000-01?. We are all starting to get in the cars on the grid. I think I was qualified 4th or 5th. If I remember right, Don was qualified on the front row and Jim Morgan was grid right behind him. I was all strapped in and ready to go. The whistle blows and the grid marshal yells 5 mins. Jim, not in his car, no helmet on even, walks over to Don who is strapped in, leans down to Don and says, "hey man, just so you know, Im going to pass you in turn 7 on lap 3. So you can be polite and a gentlemen and let me by or put up a fight. Your choice, have a good race!" I could hear Don laugh with that big laugh and yell back you're crazy man!!! Jim gets in his Swift and off we roll off on the pace lap. Green flag and Jim just sat on Don's gearbox, lap 1, lap 2, no change. On lap 3 we all exit out turn 6 onto the back straight at the old Moroso, heading down toward the fore mentioned turn 7. All the way down to the brake zone I'm sitting behind these two. Don is check his mirrors like a mad man, trying to anticipate Morgan's move. Jim does nothing. As we all get to the brake zone, we all go to the brakes. except Don. He goes deep, really deep, locks all 4, spins around. Needless to say Jim premonition became true. We all end up in impound at the end of the race. Now you would expect somebody who just got psyched out to be really upset. Not Don, there he was laughing harder than he had on the grid. "How did you do that, Morgan?!" That's a cool trick! A class act. He was always the guy you could trust going wheel to wheel with. A gentlemen in and out of the car. He will be sorely missed. Godspeed my friend. Until we race again.
    Last edited by DBS Motorsports; 02.13.19 at 9:43 AM.
    2005 Cooper Tires Zetec Championship #35 GTP Motorsports

27. The following 6 users liked this post:

Great story Doug! Well said Cole, Jim, Jon, Burky, and others. So many great stories. We won't forget Don.

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 605

Default Wink at the moon & wear flip flops

Just as the first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong, said as to his death...."Don't send flowers, when you go outside at night I ask you to just wink at the moon" ....so should it be ......when you wear flip flops, think of Donnie. If you don't wear flip flops on pit lane, Donnie will understand.
    Last edited by EYERACE; 02.14.19 at 1:31 PM.

31. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 273

Default Cool Dude

When I was at the 2015 Daytona Runoffs Don loaned me the use of his setup pads and scales.

Then during Q3 my header cracked. Don gave me the keys to his shop and directions to where it was. We used his TIG welder and had full run of his shop.

Don didn't know me at all but was such a super nice person and was willing to help out a racer in need. He knew I'd come clear across the country and was just eager to help.

Very sad news...RIP Don.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

33. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

I remember Don in a very fast late model VD he was running in FA. I think his was the first VD converted from Pinto to Zetec (the first one I knew/heard about). Every time I saw him at Roebling Road, he won. I assumed the big smile in impound was because he had won, but it sounds like he was always smiling.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

35. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 605

And then his Wife, Lee, passed away the other week

Thread Information