Liked: 64

Default Whats the best school to obtain a race license?

Hi All,
    I had a young attorney ask me about racing this week and what was the best school to obtain a race license? I had no idea. In the early 90's I went to Skip Barber and it was great! But they have had issues? How are they today? Bertil Roos? Porsche Driving experience? Any feedback would be great to lead this poor soul down the path of financial destruction.
    Thanks Wes

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Allen View Post
    Hi All,
    I had a young attorney ask me about racing this week and what was the best school to obtain a race license? I had no idea. In the early 90's I went to Skip Barber and it was great! But they have had issues? How are they today? Bertil Roos? Porsche Driving experience? Any feedback would be great to lead this poor soul down the path of financial destruction.
    Thanks Wes
    Based on what other people have said, including a pro coach who has been in the industry for awhile, he suggested the following as "the best" based on the instructors/curriculum:

Open Wheel - Bertil Roos, Lucas Oil
    Tin Top - Level Up

Also note: the new Skip Barber has some of the old staff, but uses Mustangs.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

Default Race School

Look into Waterford Hills Race School....SCCA accredited, in South East Michigan.......Clarkston, actually. Check Waterford Hills .com

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default that school associated with that Formula One driver

Allen Berg

https://www.allenbergracingschools.c...dom=wordstream

i started ages ago buying a used FV and going through the CASC at Harewood Acres (those were the days my friends)

more recently in this century i enjoyed the Russel School and SBRS at Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Roebling Road (fun)

friends of mine swear by Bertil Roos (he was my instructor at Pocono in 1973 LOL)...............but i would try Allen Berg next

Liked: 13

Default Bertil Roos

After a thirty year absence, I did the three day Roos school at Roebling Road last fall and had a great experience. The race cars are real tanks but I suppose they have to be and Dennis, Divina and the rest of the staff were great. Their slide car exercise at first looks kind of hokey, but after attempting it a couple times, becomes very enlightening.

Back in the 80's I did the Skip Barber school at Mid-Ohio, Mike Rand was the chief instructor at the time. That was also very good but if I had to pick I'd go with Roos. As I recall, the Skippy school spent a lot of time working on trail and threshold braking, whereas the Roos approach barely mentioned it. Instead, they emphasize visual techniques and track analysis, which I thought was more useful.

Planning to do the two day Roos advanced school this year which, according to their literature, gets you directly to a full SCCA license.

Don't know anything about the Berg school but it is at Laguna Seca, which has to count for something.
    Last edited by RA1713; 02.07.19 at 6:29 PM.

Liked: 605

The answer is 2 part..... do some commercial school....you'll learn about putting a car on it's edge....maybe the newbie can't do it but you'll learn cars.....but you might not learn what's going on when you race...so later do an SCCA school too....experienced drivers do not like drivers showing up who do not have a clue as to how to conduct themselves on track when drivers are all over them and flags fly too

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 947

I have done the Allen Berg School lapping days, which are extensions of their school. Allen is a no nonsense, focused instructor.

They were very good with their coaching, using video and data acquisition. The coaches are also data engineers and show where one could improve and link the difficult sections of a track together to improve further. They are a bit expensive, but Laguna is an expensive track to operate thanks to Monterey County. If you have your SO or family along, there are lots of things to do in the area while you're at the track.

The bottom line for me was going two seconds a lap faster at Thunderhill and Laguna.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    The bottom line for me was going two seconds a lap faster at Thunderhill and Laguna.
    Hopefully you'll share that info if my March gets accepted to the Reunion!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 947

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Hopefully you'll share that info if my March gets accepted to the Reunion!
    "Use the pedal on the right!!" My personal copy includes that comment.

My instructor was Chris Brown, author of "Making use of Squiggly Lines".

https://www.allenbergracingschools.c...m/chris-brown/
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information