Liked: 26

Default SCCA FM2 Run group - letter submission 26228

All ā€“

If you are taking the time to read this thread, either currently OR at one point in time you had involvement with the Pro Formula Mazda (not to be confused with the PM18). Now that this particular car (either the Elan or Crawford tubbed cars) has been retired from MRTI and has arrived in the club racing scene with the SCCA, I petitioned the SCCA to start a joint class that includes the PFM that would be re-titled as FM2.

I am aware that currently the PFM is classed with FA, however I would like to separate this out in a manner consistent with how Formula Enterprise has evolved (FE and now FE2). In line with this thinking, I have proposed a class where FM (the original Formula Mazda) and FM2 (the Pro Formula Mazda) would be raced at the same time but as separate classes from regionals up to runoffs.

Iā€™m aware that letter 26228 was discussed at the SCCA national meeting in Vegas in January and guidance that I was given was to spread the word and garner support IN WRITING to the SCCA for them to consider taking such an action.

REQUEST: If you reached this point in the thread, PLEASE take the time to write a letter of support to the SCCA requesting such a class. I believe that this will be a starting line to get the ball rolling and the next quest will be to get cars to the track.

Thank you in advance for entertaining this concept (please see below response that I received from the SCCA for the letter submission 26228) and should you write a letter of support for this request ā€“ THANKS!!

Best,
    Ben Ditson
    724-766-2178

Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 10:01 AM
    To: Ben Ditson <bditson@zoominternet.net>
    Subject: SCCA Letter #26228 Update

Your letter has been reviewed by the Formula/Sports Racing Committee and sent to the Club Racing Board.
    Here are your letter details:
    Letter: #26228
    Category: Formula/Sports Racing
    Class: FM
    Title: Request to introduce the PRO FM as FM2 class (similar to FE & FE2
    Author's Request: This email should serve as a formal request to introduce an adjunct class to the current Formula Mazda which would be called the Formula Mazda 2 (FM2) class. The FM2 class would simply consist of those cars formerly run in the Mazda Road To Indy known as the Pro Formula Mazda (not the current PM18).These cars can come in 3 forms, Generation 1, Generation 2, & Generation 3 with the differences ranging from manufacturer of the tub to aerodynamics package through very minor (negligible) changes certain suspension components. The recommendation is that the class and car will continue to run the Mazda Renesis rotary motor with either the 4 port OR 6 port injector manifold. Engines will remain sealed units and this club series should allow for no less than 3 certified engine builders (Drummond, Mandeville, etc.). The gearbox will remain the Hewland FTR sequential gearbox with lever "stick" shift (no steering wheel mounted shift paddles). Fuel is and should remain 100 octane fuel with a need for 2oz/gallon of 2 cycle oil for lubrication per manufacturer recommendation. Tires should remain open with available compounds that can be provided by Cooper, Hoosier, Goodyear, Etc.Final consideration should be given to the ECM which is a Motec M400. For purposes of regulating the class, the latest map for the ECM for both 4 and 6 port manifolds should required. Engine output for these cars ends up being capped at ~270bhp.To restate, this is a formal request to open a new class called FM2 that will run with the FM class in SCCA club formula racing. With dwindling numbers in FM ranks and the arrival of the FM2 (previously the Pro Formula Mazda) into club racing. With approximately 140 cars in existence and 64 that are active, It should be reasonable to expect that fields of 10 (or more) cars are attainable on race weekends as well as at The Runoff's.Please feel free to call or email with any questions for which I can be of assistance.Best,Ben Ditson724-766-2178

SCCA Automated Email
    Please do not reply. This email account is unmonitored.
    www.scca.com
    800-770-2055

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 447

Just to bring awareness for your comparison. It's my understanding that the FE and FE2 categories are temporary to phase in the new package for FE2. The original FE class will be eliminated.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 6

Yes, FE is scheduled to be eliminated in favor of FE2 at the end of 2019, just like SRF was eliminated in favor of SRF3 at the end of 2017.

While the CRB can recommend creating a Majors class for BoD approval, 9.1.13.C, the participation numbers would have to be there for that to happen. If the data on the SCCA's website is correct, there were 37 Pro Formula Mazda entries in FA over 36 Majors events in 2017 and 54 entries in FA over 35 Majors events in 2018, or a total of 91 entries over 71 events. That's an average of only 1.28 cars per event over the past two seasons. A Majors class which has participation levels that low is either incorporated into an existing class or becomes a regional only class. Organizing a PFM series within the FA class would seem more likely to succeed and might allow participation numbers to grow to a level that would be considered. YMMV.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 126

The West Coast is getting more PFMs to come out to play through the FCC series. They run the series through Cal Club SCCA, SFR SCCA, NASA, etc. Haven't seen enough consistent numbers at SCCA events to warrant a separate Class within the FA Group, but you gotta start somewhere and the CRB request is a good start.
    We tried this route for the Gen 1 FCs (Pinto powered) the past couple years, but couldn't get enough participation for the CRB to honor our request.
    TroyT - SFR SCCA, VARA, CSRG, SVRA
    www.ThingsThatGoVroom.net
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

Banned
    Liked: 6

Looks like the CRB just turned down a request for a separate Pro Formula Mazda class last month. See the response to letter 25654 on page 58 of the January 2019 Fastrack.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 904

Some of this is redundant with what I posted in the earlier PFM thread.

Given the PFM numbers, the following statements are unavoidable:

1. It is impossible that the CRB will ever make PFM a GCR/Majors/Runoffs class.
    2. There is zero chance that PFM will get its own run group at Majors, and virtually zero chance at Regionals.

It is simply a numbers question.

PFM owners do have some options. One is to create an Optional Regional Class using the PFM ruleset and run as a separate class at Regionals.

Another is simply to run as FA at any event - Regionals, Majors, Runoffs - and have a private championship for PFMs.

No matter what letters are on the side of the car, PFM will always run with FA.
    Last edited by John Nesbitt; 02.05.19 at 10:57 AM.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Thread Information