Liked: 43

Default SVRA Formula Ford Nation wide Championship for 2019

That's right, come out and have some fun, please check out the Doc below, it should be up on the website soon but I wanted you to see it first.

FF Championship FFC19.01.pdf

Don't forget, all FF's race at Indy for free this year including an all FF feature race on Sunday, as long as you take the green on Sunday, check out the Website for more details .

https://svra.com/news/svra-to-host-m...t-2019-season/

All the best!
    Rick Parent
    SVRA Technical Director
    rick@svra.com
    http://www.svra.com/

2. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 1112

Um, looks to me like there are some events the tintop crowd would like to know about...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Rick,
    Recognition of FF racing is always appreciated.

I have to ask the following questions:

Why are you excluding Canadian racers and the event at Mosport? There already exists a CANAM Series at both Mosport in June and Watkins Glen in October you did not list and are not in conflict with any SVRA dates.

I also do not understand how you chose events, they are an odd mixture of different sanctioning bodies with different rules and already existing FF Series.

If you have an interest in working with the CanAm Series feel free to reach out.
    I wish you the best in your new venture. I hope it doesn't dilute the fields to a few cars at each event.

Rob
    BOD Formula Ford CanAm Challenge

Hi Rob,

We are not excluding anyone really, I don't know anyone from Canada and would be glad to add another region to the series if you are volunteering to help. We can use the SVRA Watkins Glen event for a Canadian region race but will need 4 more dates to make it work.

The events are chosen by what is going on in a particular region and guys from each region have helped in choosing the most appropriate venues. If you notice on the Schedule there are regions that do not have any races and that is because there are no races there or those particular guy/s don't want to participate which is totally fine.

The goal that we are pursuing is to bring out more FF's to all events regardless of the sanctioning body and over the last few years the SVRA FF numbers have been growing and the COTA event has been spectacular with over 60 cars.

All the events on the schedule do not burden any non SVRA clubs, organizations or other FF series and merely require the official timing sheets get sent too me by the competitors for points purposes, pretty simple really. As far as rules go, to the best of my knowledge everyone is pretty much running the same rules already, what are you thinking is different?

If you would like to help please email me at rick@svra.com, the more the better as far as i'm concerned.

All the best!
    Rick Parent
    SVRA Technical Director
    rick@svra.com

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Parent View Post
    Hi Rob,

We are not excluding anyone really, I don't know anyone from Canada and would be glad to add another region to the series if you are volunteering to help. We can use the SVRA Watkins Glen event for a Canadian region race but will need 4 more dates to make it work.

The events are chosen by what is going on in a particular region and guys from each region have helped in choosing the most appropriate venues. If you notice on the Schedule there are regions that do not have any races and that is because there are no races there or those particular guy/s don't want to participate which is totally fine.

The goal that we are pursuing is to bring out more FF's to all events regardless of the sanctioning body and over the last few years the SVRA FF numbers have been growing and the COTA event has been spectacular with over 60 cars.

All the events on the schedule do not burden any non SVRA clubs, organizations or other FF series and merely require the official timing sheets get sent too me by the competitors for points purposes, pretty simple really. As far as rules go, to the best of my knowledge everyone is pretty much running the same rules already, what are you thinking is different?

If you would like to help please email me at rick@svra.com, the more the better as far as i'm concerned.

All the best!
    Rick,
    I think it is great what you are trying to do!

There is also the Right Coast group who allow Honda motors and any tires, The FRCCA that run on slicks, SVRA allows Toyo tires but not Dunlops, VRG/FFCS that go by car weight (925 for Historic plus 165 driver is below 1125), VSCDA allow canister shocks, Aluminum calipers are allowed in some series and not others or for only the first year of competition, some groups still require steel body shocks, etc.

Do I think we should have unified rules? YES!
    Do I think that will happen before the first race of the season...probably not.

It certainly is an exciting time for formula fords. Let's all work together to make it even better.

Rob
    ps sent you a text, we can talk later today

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Since SVRA is a Vintage organization, my presumption is that the main rules that apply are the Monoposto rules for VFF and CF. I enjoy Vintage because it's a rolling museum of cars in a dynamic display, not in a quiet museum.

Vintage isn't about including all "run-what-ya-brung" cars, it's about period correct race cars with period parts. If someone needs aluminum calipers, floating discs and multi-adjustable shocks, SCCA (and others) has a place for them!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Here are the rules for those interested.

https://svra.com/wp-content/uploads/...-rev-118-1.pdf

An to answer some of the comments above, here is what the rules say about Tires;

GENERAL RULES APPLICABLE TO ALL THREE CLASSESTires:

following is the allowable tires for all classes (Wet or Dry)

Front: Hoosier 135/545-13VFF
    Rear: Hoosier 165/580-13VFF

Front: Toyo Proxes R888, 185/60R/13
    Rear: Toyo Proxes R888, 205/60R/13

Front: Avon 5.0/22.0-13 A29 14297
    Rear: Avon 6.5/23.0-13 A29 14298

Front: Dunlap 135/545-13 CR82 9092 Formula Ford
    Rear: Dunlap 165/580-13 CR82 9092 Formula Ford

Shaving, or reducing tread depth of tire by any means other than normal on track driving is prohibited.

Brakes;

D.9. BrakesUnrestricted, except that calipers shall be cast iron, and rotors are restricted to ferrous material.Forward facing brake cooling ducts may be installed, but shall serve no other function or purpose.

Weight;

Minimum weight as qualified or raced, including driver- 1125 lbs exiting track.

Shocks;

Vintage Ford - can be steel or aluminum body with no more that 2 adjustment modes.
    Remote reservoir shocks are prohibited.
    Shock absorbers with triple or more adjustments with or without remote reservoirs are prohibited.
    The replacement of “metalastic” and plastic type bushings with spherical type is not prohibited. Sound
    engineering practices must be observed.

Club Ford - per section D12, not D8 with the following restriction. Club Ford shock selection can either
    be steel or aluminum body with or without external reservoirs and up to 2 adjustment modes. Shocks with
    triple or more adjustments with or without remote reservoirs are prohibited.

Post Club Ford - Shock absorbers: Design - unrestricted; Casing Material steel or aluminum alloy.

We have not incorporated the F1600's into a standard SVRA run group at this time, that means no Honda's and no slicks. I think it inevitable but they are not on the radar at this time.

All the best!
    Rick Parent
    SVRA Technical Director
    rick@svra.com

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Since SVRA is a Vintage organization, my presumption is that the main rules that apply are the Monoposto rules for VFF and CF. I enjoy Vintage because it's a rolling museum of cars in a dynamic display, not in a quiet museum.

Vintage isn't about including all "run-what-ya-brung" cars, it's about period correct race cars with period parts. If someone needs aluminum calipers, floating discs and multi-adjustable shocks, SCCA (and others) has a place for them!
    Well said Garey.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1112

Yes but. As you can see from Rick's reply, SVRA has taken an "inclusive" approach that really does work to everyone's advantage. They have their "Gold Medallion" sticker for those who are serious about every detail of parts that have to be fabricated because they're no longer available, but they also find a category to fit anyone running a Kent. It works. SCCA doesn't have nearly as good a place for PCF.

Give 'em a try....
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Gary,

Please read before you reply. I didn't say I was asking for this. I said there are a variety of rules all over the country. Some are are restrictive like your view of Vintage, others are more liberal with an all inclusive approach. Neither is right or wrong, they just are and the real problem is getting everyone on one page so they ALL feel comfortable and participate.

The issue in Vintage is where does one draw the line as "this is Vintage" and this is not. Do we become so strict and anal that modern safety improvements are banned? (That is the philosophy of a group that runs in the NE at Limerock) Do we say no tall man roll bars because they didn't exist "back when" and they are not esthetically pleasing. How about no modern instruments, only Jones mechanical tachs? What about brake pads? Do we say no modern materials? Do we ban scat cranks, forged pistons and rods? What about annular throw out bearings, they weren't around 50 years ago? There were no bead seats before the 90's, they do more than protect in a crash as they hold you in place while driving...ban them too? What about in-car video, AIM data systems, video track walks, youtube videos, etc? It is impossible to define the "spirit of vintage" in terms of parts.

I sit on a Board for a new race series. We have wrestled with these issues. Personally, I would rather allow a car that just ran as a club ford under 2015 GCR rules (as the 50th is being run) be allowed to run with the other so called vintage club fords and have another happy racer join the fraternity. To me that is the "spirit of vintage" racing. Recognizing and respecting there are various levels and periods of vintage correct cars whether they have steel mono shocks, double adjustable konis or penske canisters is to me the kinder, gentler and obviously more inclusive approach.

This is the spirit I think we should all reach for. But there are those who thought the Beatles ruined rock and roll and only listen to Elvis. Some believe Elvis ruined music completely, maybe you are one of them?

Finally, I am not going to get into a piss fight over whose rules and views are right. My best friend of 61 yo died yesterday only 4 days into retirement. Life is too short to worry whether the car next to you is prepared to a different era. I don't think Roger Penske or Chip Ganassi is at your race wondering how much to offer you to run next years Indy Season. Isn't it about no trophies, no money, no awards just the satisfaction of being faster than last time?

My advice to you Gary is just get in, drive to your best ability and enjoy the fact you are able to put a race car on the track.

Rob Bork

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Well, the Beatles didn't ruin Rock and Roll but they sure tried ;-)
    Rick Parent
    SVRA Technical Director
    rick@svra.com

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Parent View Post
    Well, the Beatles didn't ruin Rock and Roll but they sure tried ;-)
    Bye, bye Miss American Pie
    Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
    And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
    Singin' this'll be the day that I die
    This'll be the day that I die

Now, for ten years we've been on our own
    And moss grows fat on a rolling stone
    But, that's not how it used to be
    When the jester sang for the king and queen
    In a coat he borrowed from James Dean
    And a voice that came from you and me

Oh and while the king was looking down
    The jester stole his thorny crown
    The courtroom was adjourned
    No verdict was returned

And while Lennon read a book on Marx
    The quartet practiced in the park
    And we sang dirges in the dark
    The day the music died

touche'...lol

Liked: 115

Default Geez

"Can't we all just get along?" (Rodney King)

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 11

Actually, why not adopt the 2015 GCR rules for all vintage classes? Why stop at Formula Ford? Bring on the 2015 Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Porsche 911 GT3's, Ferrari 458's, McLaren 650's, Mercedes AMG GT's, Hyundai Genesis Coupes, Nissan 370Z's, Jaguar F-Types, Lotus Evoras, Lamborghini Hurancans, hell, maybe a couple LaFerrari's and Porsche 918's. And let's not disappoint all the Lexus fans. And the 2015 Indy Cars, F1 cars and IMSA Prototype cars can take over the Wings & Slicks group – who needs a 1972 Ferrai 312P when you can watch a few 2015 Mustang Sampling Cadillac DPR's? And especially when all these 2015 cars would (if I understand this correctly) still be competing with actual period-correct 1960's/70's cars at the same time? Makes total sense. This whole "vintage" thing has just become so fussy, what with the outright on ban on bead seats and nitrous oxide. Why should any (so-called) vintage race club be so myopic that they only allow...vintage cars? And especially vintage cars that only compete against similarly prepared vintage cars? The most important thing for any club is the amount of entries, right? The logic is just bulletproof. And, think about it, this whole "2-door" rule seems a bit dated too, after all, what is a "sports cars" these days? A 2015 Panamera could pull a faster lap time than a 1972 911S, and a 2015 Porsche Cayenne (Turbo?) would out-lap a 1972 Formula Ford. Hell, a 2015 Tahoe would smoke a Shelby GT350. We could get the entries really up there. Because that is indeed the "vintage spirit." Good thing there aren't clubs around like the SCCA and NASA – who needs 'em?

Thread Information