Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Default considering FV question

Hi, I'm considering getting into FV and I have a basic question: is it possible for me to both drive and maintain the car at an event by myself, without crew? I used to autocross a D13 and that was no problem to do alone but not sure about a road race weekend. I'm talking club/regional level, not national.

This is a key hurdle to understand before I continue the long range $ planning it will take to get into club racing.

Thanks very much!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Absolutely you can do it and most do exactly that.

Lots of Volkswagen specific things to learn but it is a great class and everyone is willing to help or share information. I've never been anywhere that the other V drivers didn't go out of there way to help others.

Probably the most difficult thing to do at the track by yourself is getting buckled in the car with belts and the hans device. Even at that, there always a helpful grid worker or crew person from another car parked next to you to help.

Paddock next to another V and you won't ever have a problem.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

I back up what Bill said.

If you show up with a well prepared car, have everything laid out and practiced (getting in the car by yourself) and put together a checklist of things to do and when to do them (fuel car, check tire pressures, etc.) there will be no problems. (The SCCA school is the hardest - make sure you have help for that)

I would also suggest, if there no FV's close by, to get to know the tin top racer nearby. I found that they do not bite, and since are not in the same session as you, can be very helpful for retrieving that glove that fell on the ground or that last tug on the seat belt.

Just return the favor (he or she might be in the same situation as you) when the opportunity arises. Even a "how is it going?" is often appreciated.

Remember, most regions allow you to bring in 2 or 3 crew for free - relatives, neighbors and co-workers are always welcome. You can post here for help - good chance someone will take you up in order to get into the race.

Good luck

ChrisZ

Contributing Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, very good to know!

I'll look for drivers in South Carolina that may need a hand at local races to get a better feel. If anyone is looking for help please send me a PM and I'll give you my email so we can keep in touch.

I noticed that a number of the Driverz Cup guys are here in the southeast - definitely interested to hear more about that if I can too.

Thanks again!

Liked: 301

Default However...

I would strongly suggest that you DO have a crew guy if you have to go through drivers' school.
    School schedules are extremely tight & hectic...on-track, debrief, on-track, debrief, etc., etc....with little or no time for torque, air, fuel, oil check, etc. if you're alone.
    And if, God forbid, a problem arises...

Glenn

Liked: 42

i normally operate solo, no crew, sometimes my wife comes out or a friend helps me climb in, but best solution I found is to use a bungee cord to suspend my helmet over the cockpit. I can buckle in, hook up Hans, arm restraints, etc, then reach up grab the helmet and good to go racing!

i give myself extra time in case I have to climb back out to disconnect the charging cord, fill the fuel tank or pick up a dropped glove. Other times at wave at passers by or spectators to hand me the wheel or balaclava, but you get into a routine pretty quickly.

lots of friendly racers that help out. Last race I ran I needed a replacement head due to a cracked valve seat and one of my competitors loaned me his spare head and helped me change it before the race. This is normal in my club.
    Last edited by jphoenix13; 12.20.18 at 11:40 PM.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

The D-13 is a good car for DIY drivers as there is elbow room and places to put stuff as you are getting yourself in the car. If you are replacing the belts, try to find some with adjustable lap belts with "Pull-up" adjusters . The fixed portion of each lap belt needs to be really short, but they will make it easier.

Finding a friend in another race group who is also solo can be helpful too ..... then trade off on helping each other and critical times..
    Last edited by problemchild; 12.21.18 at 8:31 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Thanks Greg, I thought that D13's had aero issues that challenge their competitiveness, is this not the case? I like the looks of the Citation cars which also seem to have a lot of room.

Again, thanks very much!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

There are Citations and then there are Speed Sports which are Citation clones.

Like any FV - you should sit in it to make sure you fit.

Of course if you are under 5'10 and 170 lbs you will probably fit in any FV...

The Citation is a great car and should have a lot of room.

The D13 is one of the best handling cars and should accommodate most drivers, although over 6' and you might need a roll hoop mod if it has not already been done.

Better than some but not the best aerodynamically, it is a great beginners car and some groups are letting it in for vintage.

ChrisZ

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 133

I can second all that has been said as I have been the unassisted driver ever since I started racing.

Develop a routine for when you get in a car and get yourself ready to go forth to grid. Practice it beforehand . Do the same routine each time you get in the car. Determine that you can do all the necessary things (hook up Hans, tighten belts, etc) by yourself. There is normally a sequence that is best but unique for you and your car.

I use the Schroth Hans harnesses with a pull up lap belt. A fixed length lap belt can be tight and difficult to fasten.

My routine is like this:

Put the helmet, gloves and steering wheel on the car body where I can reach them (varies from car to car). Put on my arm restraints, HANS, and insert ear plugs. Turn on Master Switch (since I cannot reach it while in the car). Sit in the car and fasten the lap belts and crotch straps. Insert shoulder straps. Tighten lap belts but leave shoulder straps a bit loose. Put gloves in my lap. Put helmet on and tighten chin strap. Since I wear glasses, there is the extra step of taking them off, putting on the helmet, and then inserting them into the helmet space.. Hook up the HANS to helmet. Fasten arm restraints. Tighten shoulder straps. Put on the steering wheel (done last because I need the room to pull down on the shoulder straps). Check for neutral and Fire up engine. (If you have to use an auxiliary battery you may have to start the engine first and then disconnect the aux battery before you get in the car). Put on gloves.

Develop a routine and list of things you need to do before each session and after each session. Some things are generic to everyone - torque wheels, tire pressures, oil levels, fuel levels, charge battery, lengthen the harnesses, clean helmet visor, check bodywork/wings, etc. Other things may be unique to your car that have to be checked or done each session (bleed brakes, tighten bolts, etc).

I have always found that anybody paddocked near you is willing to assist you if you ask them. But you will still want to make your routine self-sufficient.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_G_SC View Post
    Thanks Greg, I thought that D13's had aero issues that challenge their competitiveness, is this not the case? I like the looks of the Citation cars which also seem to have a lot of room.

Again, thanks very much!
    Rich, we have D13's in the competitive North East Regionals that are front runners and race winners. John

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

Rich.

I did not read your first post carefully and just assumed you were using your D-13 as you started Club racing. My apologies. FV is very much about driving, general preparation, and engine (too much ). A well-driven, well-prepared D-13 with a decent engine is certainly capable of running in the pack at any FV race.Perhaps one could say, that if not well-driven, well-prepared, or with a decent engine (one or all), the actual potential of the car becomes less important. If you still have your D-13, then using it to make a transition into Club racing makes a whole lot of sense, if only because it is "the devil you know". As mentioned previously, the D-13 would be a good choice in terms of belting in yourself.

As with running an older car that you hope to upgrade from one day, invest your resources into components that can be moved forward (engine, shocks, wheels, safety equip, etc) and not into the car itself.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 830

I noticed that a number of the Driverz Cup guys are here in the southeast - definitely interested to hear more about that if I can too.

Thanks again!
    Rich,
    At least for the moment, pretty much ALL of the DriverzCup cars are here in SEDIV. If you aren't aware, there is a DriverzCup.com website that is pretty current. Not much going on right at the moment, but the most recent event was at Road Atlanta on Veterans Day weekend in November with VDCA. There is also a schedule for the next planned event on that website.

If you have other questions, you can contact info@DriverzCup,com or post here and I'll try to answer if Greg doesn't. You don't have your city in your profile but Greg, the founder of DriverzCup, lives in Moore, SC. a suburb of Greenville so he shouldn't be TOO far away. If you just want to talk 'vee', I'll be glad to chat with you. You can reach me via email - Steve at WedgeRacing dot com and we can swap phone numbers.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Contributing Member

Thanks Steve! I am in Columbia, dead center of the state. I really like the Driverz Cup approach and will be looking into that as I get closer to making a move. I appreciate the offer to share info!

Greg R- no worries, just a misunderstanding. I autocrossed a D13 for the better part of the 2000's. My uncle passed about 10 years ago leaving me a 68 GT 350. I decided I couldn't keep 2 car hobbies, my initial plan was to sell the shelby to finance club racing. After thinking about it for a while though I decided that I needed to focus my time on my 3 kids and wife so I went the other way and sold the D13 (to a guy in Belgium of all places). Next year 2 of my 3 will be in college so timing is looking pretty good to go back to plan "a" if I can get my wife on board. I still have an emotional attachment to the shelby but I think I'd rather be driving than cleaning & polishing for car shows.

Merry Christmas all!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Thanks Steve! I am in Columbia, dead center of the state. I really like the Driverz Cup approach and will be looking into that as I get closer to making a move. I appreciate the offer to share info!

Greg R- no worries, just a misunderstanding. I autocrossed a D13 for the better part of the 2000's. My uncle passed about 10 years ago leaving me a 68 GT 350. I decided I couldn't keep 2 car hobbies, my initial plan was to sell the shelby to finance club racing. After thinking about it for a while though I decided that I needed to focus my time on my 3 kids and wife so I went the other way and sold the D13 (to a guy in Belgium of all places). Next year 2 of my 3 will be in college so timing is looking pretty good to go back to plan "a" if I can get my wife on board. I still have an emotional attachment to the shelby but I think I'd rather be driving than cleaning & polishing for car shows.

Merry Christmas all!

Keep the Shelby and cash flow the racing as you can. 10 years from now you will be happy you did. You've heard plenty of stories like I once had a 63' Corvette I traded for a brand new 1976 Ford LTD because I had a family and needed a bigger car.

Merry Christmas!

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Keep the Shelby and cash flow the racing as you can.
    Thanks Daryl, I would if I could! Unfortunately, 3 college educations dictate this is an either/or situation. Not an easy decision though I agree.

Liked: 303

The Shelby is a neat car to own. However, I would not take anything non human over my experience of driving a Vee in the 70's. Or 40 years later.

Thread Information