Liked: 0

Default Wanted: formula 'pacific' complete car

HI all. I recently saw the new class started at willow springs called 'formula pacific'. It does have a 600cc bike motor in it, hence my post here. Where exactly can I buy one? Used, or new. There was one for sale, a few months ago, but sold pretty quickly. Seems like a pretty affordable class. And, from the videos I've seen, it should be faster than a pro mazda car? Anyone have any information on them? I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but am willing to travel to buy one. I am also hoping they are legal for scca or icscc, or sccbc open wheel classes here in B.C, so i could actually race one, versus just track days. I also have quite a few years open wheel experience, so, it shouldn't be an issue to step into one of these, I'm hoping.

Thanks!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
    HI all. I recently saw the new class started at willow springs called 'formula pacific'. It does have a 600cc bike motor in it, hence my post here. Where exactly can I buy one? Used, or new. There was one for sale, a few months ago, but sold pretty quickly. Seems like a pretty affordable class. And, from the videos I've seen, it should be faster than a pro mazda car? Anyone have any information on them? I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but am willing to travel to buy one. I am also hoping they are legal for scca or icscc, or sccbc open wheel classes here in B.C, so i could actually race one, versus just track days. I also have quite a few years open wheel experience, so, it shouldn't be an issue to step into one of these, I'm hoping.

Thanks!
    I didn't know they started a series. They started building a few cars/karts a few years ago for a rental series they were trying to get off the ground. They are R6 powered or R1 powered (2 different examples built). They are purportedly 130 and 190 HP versions in a 530# kart.

I don't know what the list of compromises made in aero or brake packages looks like, but they are rigidly sprung (like a kart) not like the F5/F6 cars of SCCA. But they must be many at that power to weight. The lap times of the R6 version there are a bit slower than a FF, and well below that of a proMazda.

If you are looking for a kart that is quicker than a Pro Mazda car look for a 250 Super Kart.

The lap of Eddie Lawson driving one of these Formula Pacific around Willow at a 1:14 is actually on the Streets of Willow (a much slower and smaller track).

No, they aren't SCCA legal. Not sure how many track day events would allow something that fast, with that level of safety equipment, to participate.

Liked: 98

Is this what you're talking about? That roll bar looks like it will bend over like a paper clip.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

And the last thing we need is another effing class.....

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I didn't know they started a series. They started building a few cars/karts a few years ago for a rental series they were trying to get off the ground. They are R6 powered or R1 powered (2 different examples built). They are purportedly 130 and 190 HP versions in a 530# kart.

I don't know what the list of compromises made in aero or brake packages looks like, but they are rigidly sprung (like a kart) not like the F5/F6 cars of SCCA. But they must be many at that power to weight. The lap times of the R6 version there are a bit slower than a FF, and well below that of a proMazda.

If you are looking for a kart that is quicker than a Pro Mazda car look for a 250 Super Kart.

The lap of Eddie Lawson driving one of these Formula Pacific around Willow at a 1:14 is actually on the Streets of Willow (a much slower and smaller track).

No, they aren't SCCA legal. Not sure how many track day events would allow something that fast, with that level of safety equipment, to participate.
    Ah OK. thanks Daryl. It seems like the class has mostly disappeared. Can't find anything recent on it. I also saw some decent Formula Mazda cars for sale. that would most likely be my next choice. Here at mission, B.C. there seems to be a LOT of new drivers, running mostly F Continental, F2000, and F1000, and FF, from what I see. I'm not really up to speed on all the classes tho. I have driven FF and Formula Mazda, but I'm looking to purchase a car, rather than rent this time. 250 superkarts are definitely something to consider, but there is no road racing classes, at least as far as I know up in B.C. But, it still seems the pacific kart would be much faster than a FF, with the weight being about half that of a formula ford, and the power being about equal. And, yes, it definitely, wouldn't be as safe, as when you hit any sort of bumps, it would greatly upset the kart, whereas the ff can be tuned to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by holmberg View Post
    Is this what you're talking about? That roll bar looks like it will bend over like a paper clip.

Haha, yes. probably. But, wouldn't there be any sort of safety standards, so that wouldn't happen?

Liked: 98

Haha, yes. probably. But, wouldn't there be any sort of safety standards, so that wouldn't happen?
    These vehicles conform to no organization's rules. It would definitely fail the SCCA safety requirements. I personally wouldn't get in one. I wouldn't get in a kart either.

You mentioned that you're not up to date on the various formula classes. Here's a spreadsheet showing power, weight, laptimes, and cost of tires, engines, gearbox, fuel, brake pads. Hope this is helpful.

Greg

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Yes, those are the karts/cars he's referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    And the last thing we need is another effing class.....
    It is my understanding that these were going to get their own run group with WERA (SCCA of the motorcycle world)

But, it still seems the pacific kart would be much faster than a FF, with the weight being about half that of a formula ford, and the power being about equal.
    Straight-line acceleration, absolutely. It's most of the other performance attributes where it is lacking.

Liked: 896

these guys contactied me about 10 yesrs ago wanting to buy some parts. Check the nose out. It is a Novakar J9 nose i assume that they built a new mold or they might have bought parts from Don Clar too.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    these guys contactied me about 10 yesrs ago wanting to buy some parts. Check the nose out. It is a Novakar J9 nose i assume that they built a new mold or they might have bought parts from Don Clar too.
    That was my immediate conclusion after looking at the photo.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 30

I believe these were originally built by Rick Goodwin. I believe he was a memeber of these forums. I have an older number for him if you want to PM me for it.

Thread Information