Liked: 10

Default Need to buy a helmet

been several years, and mine is out of date. Tons available, So any thoughts as to brand, considerations, (obviously fit matters), good, bad experiences? value? thanks in advance for your input. Also where to go to try fit?? I am in Phoenix area.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

Depending on what kind of car you have and your seating arrangement, don't be surprised to find things a bit tighter. My 05 was bigger than my 00, and my 10 bigger than the 05. Each one got a tad closer to the HANS and to the bars around my head and the headrest.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Get what you think is the best fit and protection for what you can afford.

Liked: 1115

Phoenix area:

<https://www.thehelmetcenter.com/>

They're motorcycle oriented but have given good service with Snell SA race helmets, too.

<http://professionalautosports.com/forms/pdf/driver_equipment.pdf>

Vicki Pond sells Simpson and Pyrotect. Superb service.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

I just bought a BELL GTX. I have always had a Bell shaped head. It fits nicely, reviews were good, and seems properly “tight” (snug cheek pads). It is actually a skosh smaller than my SA2010 but that was a cheaper Bell that only came in letter sizes (S M L etc).

Liked: 947

The above advice is what you need to hear.

My first helmet was a Bieffe F1 GP about 12 years ago. It was the best fitting helmet I ever owned. It fit my head perfect until I got in my car. I could not see the gauges because of the layback seat with the small eyeport and the helmet sat on the HANS device. Sold at a loss.

The second helmet I bought I loaded my car on the trailer and took it to the shop where I planned to buy a helmet. They let me try on as many helmets as I needed to try. The best candidates went out to the car with me and I tried each one on while belted in the car. If you have an upright seating position in your car, you probably don't need to bring your car to the shop, but make sure you can return it for an exchange if you need to. There are lots of great helmets available, so get informed and be selective for the features you want. Look at all of the mfgrs web sites and research them. Call and ask questions.

The two most important things are the fit to your head and the visibility out for you. It could be a great helmet, but if it doesn't properly fit your head, it can be a hazard to you.

• The helmet must fit very snug around your head and cheekbones for it to save your melon. It should not give you a headache after wearing it for a while.
    • You should not be able to roll the helmet off your head with the chin strap fastened.
    • Try helmets on with your head sock if you wear one.
    • Make sure your glasses or sunglasses fit too.
    • It should not interfere with your HANS device with you fully belted in your car and everything cinched down tight.
    • It helps if you can see out, see your mirrors and gauges.

On Brands: Look at everything you can in your price range. Price out the cost of a replacement face shield and tear offs too. A spare shield could save your weekend.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

8. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I just bought a BELL GTX. I have always had a Bell shaped head. It fits nicely, reviews were good, and seems properly “tight” (snug cheek pads).
    I've been happy with my last two Bell GTX.3 helmets, too.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 757

I had two Bell helmets then went with a Simpson. It was so uncomfortable and not as well made. Just bought a new Bell and it’s perfect. I won’t make that mistake again, but as has been suggested I would try on as many as you can.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Up until about 1996-1997 Simpson Helmets were made by DJ Manufacturing in Indiana. Simpson then built a facility in Texas and brought much of the manufacturing in-house. Not sure now how many and what models are made in Texas, Mexico and China, but I wouldn't expect the Simpson helmet of today to match the quality of a Simpson helmet of yesteryear.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 12.10.18 at 3:41 PM.

Liked: 77

Pay attention to what Dan Wise said.

Like others here, I was a Bell guy for years and years. A couple of years ago, Black Armor had a display at the Mid-Ohio Runoffs and I tried one on and liked it a lot. I bought one of the Aero Pro models. I've used it the last couple of seasons and still like it. I don't know if anyone in your area has them, but, if not, you could ask them if they will allow you to return it if it doesn't fit.

https://blackarmorhelmets.com/

Dave

Liked: 107

Default Arai

I had re-up this year, got an Arai (forget the model, but the "$900" one) coming from various Bell's before - wow, its is 'that much' nicer. that said, it fits me better too, more "long" and narrow" fit, where the bell felt more round and always pressed on my forehead and was loose in the ears and cheeks a bit more. for my fit, i don't even need to wear ear plugs like i had to in the Bell. (FF). anyways - i like it a lot! if they fit you - a top choice IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
    I had re-up this year, got an Arai (forget the model, but the "$900" one) coming from various Bell's before - wow, its is 'that much' nicer. that said, it fits me better too, more "long" and narrow" fit, where the bell felt more round and always pressed on my forehead and was loose in the ears and cheeks a bit more. for my fit, i don't even need to wear ear plugs like i had to in the Bell. (FF). anyways - i like it a lot! if they fit you - a top choice IMO.

Never mind, I realized Shoei no longer offers a SA rated helmet. It's a coke/pepsi, bud/coors, ford/chevy type thing. Arai is an excellent helmet (IMO) but I like my Shoei a bit better.

Default Helmet stuff

Thanks everyone, good stuff. My last one was also a Bieffe, and it was a great fit, driving a Fran am car. Too bad has to be replaced. I will probably go to the Winding Road store in SoCAL, to try many for fit. The local folks really don't have much to try. Everything i hear about fit makes me think that I will end up with Arai, but anxious to try others. Appreciate all the responses.

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Try a ROUX

Be sure and give the ROUX a trial. I like that it has a built in release system and a bunch of well thought out features; including an integrated water drink tube, quick disconnects on the water, complete radio gear with a noise cancelling microphone and speaker pods, HANS anchors, and if you want extra - how about a skull cooler? Forced air and aero designed -- no need to add a rear "spoiler". Contact Apex Performance here if you're interested. Not associated -- just a satisfied customer.

Cheers - Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Default ROUX helmet

Thanks! I just spent some time researching these and they sound really good! will definitely trial fit and take from there. Anyone else had any experience with these??

Thread Information