Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Brabham BT 21 vs BT29

Any one have any idea about driver fit for these 2 cars? I am looking for a BT29 and there are 2 BT21 entered into an event this weekend.I was going to ask to try the driver fit assuming the BT29 would be close? Was also thinking about a Chevron B17B

Im 6'1" 185#
    Best Regards
    Paul
    1972 Hawke DL9
    1973 Chevron B23

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

21’s are very large inside compared to a 29. A BT29 has for sure one of the tightest cockpit openings of any car I’ve ever sat in. Your weight won’t be a problem, your height might put your shoulders up too high in the BT29. A 21 will fit your height easily and they are very quick as well. Also usually they sell for 15-20k less than a 29.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 21

Default BT21 or BT29

Paul,

I've restored several BT21s and BT29s with a variety of drivers. Unless you have really wide shoulders the BT29 should fit just fine.
    One of the main differences in the two cars, as far as fit is concerned, is the bodywork around your shoulders, the BT29 is much harder to put your belts on yourself, can be done, I drive a BT29 myself, but it's nice to have help. The BT21 just has a lot more room around the cockpit area, more elbow room. A compromise car would be the BT35/36 type car, which is essentially a BT29 with a wider cockpit opening around your shoulders. All great, fast and forgiving cars to drive. If you would like to discuss these types of cars anymore you are welcome to call me at Three Zero Three 6535550. David Irwin or irwin_eng(at)hotmail(dot)com
    David Irwin
    Irwin Engineering
    Bailey, CO 80421
    303-653-5550

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Default Leg room?

I came into a BT 29 in ~1974. I was 6'3" (have lost a couple " since ;-} ) with long legs. There was no way I could operate the pedals, my knees would have needed about 3" notches cut into the instrument bulkhead. Wasn't even close to making it workable for me. YMMV - you really just have to try it out first-hand.

Good luck - in their day the 29's were the magic weapon.

- Gerhard
    Last edited by gerhard_k; 12.10.18 at 4:26 PM.

Liked: 0

Default BT29 cockpit

I did hear somewhere that the FIA legislated a certain wider cockpit width after the 29 was introduced.

Thread Information