Liked: 77

Default Radical SR3 - Ebay

I have been looking for a Radical 1300 for a bit. This seems like a nice car. It would really need the paddle shifter upgrade...

Any other upgrades needed? Would an engine sitting for 8+ years need to be opened up prior to starting?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264032191935?ul_noapp=true

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Jtovo View Post
    I have been looking for a Radical 1300 for a bit. This seems like a nice car. It would really need the paddle shifter upgrade...

Any other upgrades needed? Would an engine sitting for 8+ years need to be opened up prior to starting?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264032191935?ul_noapp=true
    Check out the “Radicals For Sale” page at www.RadicalSportscarRegistry.com. Also if you get me your contact information I can tell you where some other good Radicals are.

Adding paddle shifting to a Radical is not trivial. A Radical dealer told me it cost $7k to 10K to make the conversion. Cars built after June 2009 (chassis number 464 and later) that were ordered from the Factory with paddle shifting had Life Racing paddle shifting that was integrated into the ECU which prevented the car from being shifted in situations where it would cause damage to the engine. If you add the paddle shifting after the fact it is a stand alone system without those safety features. It is better to find a car that came with paddle shifting from the factory if possible.

Regarding the engine, I would recommend contacting the engine shop at Spring Mountain or Team Stradale to find out. From my training in aviation, an engine sitting that long would not be alright. When the oil film dries up over time there can be internal corrosion in the engine. Often pitting happens between the rings and the cylinder walls.... which doesn’t get better by running the engine. But these are not aircraft engines, so I would ask Radical.

Charley

Liked: 8

how about competitiveness of a stick car vs a paddle?

Thread Information