Liked: 280

Default 50th Anniversary of Formula F and the Right Coast Formula F

Hi,

The Right Coast Formula F Series has been presented with a unique opportunity to celebrate the 50th , or Golden, Anniversary of Formula F in the United States. We had already been well along in our planning for a 50th celebration as part of the American Road Race of Champions at Road Atlanta with the Atlanta Region of the SCCA in November of 2019, when another opportunity became available to us.

The second opportunity also comes at a venue with a long history in Formula F, the always challenging Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. So, we have decided to present two celebratory weekends which we are simply going to call The Golden Part One and The Golden Part Two. I am sure that most people who read this may decide this is crazy as there are four vintage affiliated 50th celebrations that have been announced for 2019 as well as our Road Atlanta event.

A man I have great respect for, Bernard Bradpiece, has correctly observed that with so many 50th celebrations being launched that all will suffer attendance wise. I agree, but in the year since we announced the first of the 50th commemorative events, we have spoken with many, many FF and CFF drivers. One of the most common responses we received was that “November is after my season has ended” or “if you were only going to have it earlier” or “I wish it were more centrally located”. We really do listen to the drivers we race and talk with and try to accommodate them as much as possible. We do this because the sole purpose of Right Coast is to try and get large fields for great racing. So, I agree, it is a bit crazy, but Mid Ohio is already on our 2019 schedule and we can now make it just a bit more special.

I also want to remind everyone that the Right Coast affiliated 50th Golden events are the ONLY CELEBRATIONS THAT ARE OPEN TO ALL FF/CFF CARS WHETHER YOU ARE FORD OR HONDA POWERED on whatever tires you should choose to run.

The 50th Part One will take place at Mid Ohio on June 28 thru 30 with Formula Race Promotions. Right Coast Formula F will join the F1600 and F2000 pro series along with the Formula Vee Challenge Cup Series for another spectacular all formula car weekend. We are still working on the weekend schedule, but there will be at least three FF/CFF only races during the weekend.

The 50th Part Two will take place at the American Road Race of Champions at Road Atlanta with the Atlanta Region of the SCCA on November 1 thru 3 as we had previously announced. We have been approached by some people who would like to do something special for Formula F and we are working on some things that we believe will pleasantly surprise you.

This will give Formula F and Club Formula F two opportunities to celebrate the Golden anniversary of our class. If you can’t make one hopefully you can make it to the other. Better yet, make them both!

On a (hopefully) more thoughtful note; we should take this opportunity to think about our class. As one of those who have been fortunate to have seen a couple of the first FF races ever run in the US in 1969 and then been racing in FF since 1974, I have serious concerns for our class. Formula F in the US is a very fractured fraternity. There are those who think that anything other than a Cortina/Kent in an engine bay is heretical. There are those who see the Honda as a viable option that permits the class to continue as Ford parts become harder to come by.

I am extremely hopeful and grateful that there have been efforts by those of us who love small formula car racing that is still reasonably (I guess we could debate that one) affordable. In the coming years I believe we will see less and less concern with what lump is in the engine bay because the evidence continues to demonstrate that on a competitive basis that it makes no real difference.

So, the Golden Part One and Part Two is open to all FF and CFF cars regardless of engine or tires that the driver prefers to run. All are welcome, please come and join us in this very special year and these two very special events. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski

2. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 157

Default Both :)

I plan to attend both.

These are RCFFS events at epic tracks 50 years after the birth of the idea. Looking forward to more fun, friends and speed.

Probably in the Wyvern, but maybe in a Royale??

Just kidding, this needs the Wyvern!!

Steve

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Excellent. Thanks Joe!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Both

I plan on doing both Joe, After this season of no shows by me I have to step my game up next year for the 50th's

Ed

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 78

Count me in for both. Hopefully with a much better behaving car.

Derek

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Get mid-ohio to recind the 'no dogs' rule!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

I am in for both. Need someone at the back of the pack.
    Graham

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 127

Count me in for both! Sounds awesome
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Bring him along....

14. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Beaker, Joes dog, is always at Mid-Ohio.
    Graham

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Default Dogs at M-O

A couple years ago, I called the track to ask about dogs. The official story I got is that dogs are allowed (though not encouraged) for participants, but they are not allowed for spectators at big events. We haven't had any problems taking our dog.

Default Dogs at Mid Ohio

Hi,

Beaker definitely approves of Mid Ohio, although she wishes that they would allow more squirrels (the grey furry type; not the type who put on helmets) into the track.

As Graham and Phil have pointed out, Beaker has attended the last several DUFFUS/Right Coast events at Mid Ohio with no difficulty. Barnaby has attended with the Kingham clan as have several other dogs and their humans.

Dogs need to be on a leash and their humans are required to pickup after them, if you know what I mean.

Joe M.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Dogs

Thank god, I thought when he said no dogs allowed he was referring to the Bowman

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Marcinski View Post
    Hi,

Beaker definitely approves of Mid Ohio, although she wishes that they would allow more squirrels (the grey furry type; not the type who put on helmets) into the track.

As Graham and Phil have pointed out, Beaker has attended the last several DUFFUS/Right Coast events at Mid Ohio with no difficulty. Barnaby has attended with the Kingham clan as have several other dogs and their humans.

Dogs need to be on a leash and their humans are required to pickup after them, if you know what I mean.

Joe M.

Great! I have always wanted to run there, but was told they banned vicious animals.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Great! I have always wanted to run there, but was told they banned vicious animals.
    Based on some of the drivers, I'd say they've never banned viscous animals....
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 12

I attended the 2017 RCFFS event at Mid-Ohio with my "racedog" and there was absolutely no problem. I believe they discourage spectators at pro events from bringing dogs. No problems for competitors.
    Craig Walker
    Crossle 25F CF #71
    "Paying alimony is like buying hay for a dead horse". Groucho Marx.

Liked: 44

This might be a dumb question but the mid-Ohio event... will it have a class for cars with treaded tires? If so I'm in.

Default 50th Anniversary of Formula F and Right Coast Formula F

Hi jayeff,

The Golden Part 1 at Mid Ohio with Formula Race Promotions will indeed have a place for those who prefer to race on treaded tires. All legal Formula F cars; slicks or treads, Ford or Honda; are welcome.

We will be posting the Right Coast 2019 schedule in the next few minutes and you will see that we will have a pre-registration site for that event open shortly. The purpose of that site will be to get a car count and to see how many cars of each tire "denomination" are planning to attend. It will help us determine the schedule for the weekend.

So, please stay tuned and when we open that site, please let us know that you are coming.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Joe Marcinski

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 85

Am I the only one that thinks the '50th Anniversary' of Formula F will be around 2059?

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Robinson View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the '50th Anniversary' of Formula F will be around 2059?
    You have lots of sites and races to go to in the next year to be with other people with your elitist attitude who want to segregate different groups within the class. There is no need to mock people who are attempting to be inclusive of all. Joe is very passionate and dedicated to providing great racing for our community. Based on my experiences with RCFFS, these events will be memorable, and I will bring every car that I can find transport for!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 44

I'd love to come to the Mid Ohio event but I wanted to clarify something that I think has been misunderstood. If there is not a separate run group for treaded tire cars, I will not be showing up and will instead do the SVRA event at the same track a week later. Just my two cents though.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by Jayeff View Post
    If there is not a separate run group for treaded tire cars,.
    If I understand your question, while the Right Coast group does get their own run group, no the treaded guys don't get their own group vs the slick guys. Joe may jump in and confirm/refute.
    Cheers

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

If we get sufficient treaded tire entrants, I would say at least as a bare minimum 25, they would indeed have their own run group.
    It is all about the numbers and entrants that commit and follow up and show up.
    Mid Ohio on two consecutive weekends, that would be something to write home about !

Hi,

As Mike has just written, it depends upon the numbers. Formula Race Promotions (who will be our hosts for this event) allocates Right Coast a certain amount of track time each weekend. We have some flexibility in how we used it. It is our normal routine to be on track twice each day of a three day weekend.

Given the significance of the Golden Anniversary of Formula F, we would like to have a longer than usual anniversary race. We are already working with FRP on the daily schedules, but we need to know who is going to come. As Mike has written, if we get enough treaded tire entrants; then we will arrange for a separate run group.

Please stay tuned as we will be announcing a pre-registration site (no payment of entry fee required until we get closer to the event) for the express purpose of getting a car count so that we can "construct" the weekend format.

Best regards,

Joe Marcinski

35. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information