Contributing Member Don Denomme's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Default 50th FF Celebration at Lime Rock

As a long time participant at the Lime Rock Historic races on Labor Day, I recently got an email from Murray Smith indicating that they would like to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Formula Ford at the 2019 historic weekend. I know that this is just one of many planned celebrations. Yet, many of us can't make Road Atlanta or Road America for any number of reasons. Perhaps this could be a more viable alternative. For more details contact: historics@limerock.com

Liked: 1112

SVRA is also going to Lime Rock for the first time next year.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Default FF 50th

Will be a busy couple of weeks:

Lime Rock August 30 to Sept 2nd
    FFCS 50th Anniversary Tour -- Pittrace September 5th to 9th
    50th Road America September 11th to 15th

Sadly this addition will mean dilution for all the organizers.

We never learn.

Best
    BB
    BB2

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Just a bit more info. The schedule is run over Friday, Saturday and Monday of Labor Day. No racing at Lime Rock on Sundays. There is a great concours on Sunday featuring some of the greatest vintage cars in the world. There's also a Friday night dinner for drivers plus-one that is included in your entry fee. Usual schedule is Friday practice, qualifying and race 1. Saturday is race 2 and 3, with race 4 and possibly race 5 on Monday.

While I realize that this event will cut into the participation at other events, there are any number of drivers in the northeast that don't have the time or funds to participate in these other events. As for myself, I'm trying to make the Road America event. Did the 40th there and love the track.

Liked: 211

The 40th was by far the best event I have been to.. I'm sure those that where there will agree.

When only one celebration those interested will make the effort to be there.. with multiple celebrations none have to potential to be the epic event that was the 40th..

When one speaks of the 40th everyone knows the event being referenced.. the 50th.. which one?? Kinda sad to me the 50th won't be bigger and better...
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Len,
    Steve Beeler is working hard to make the 50th just as memorable if not more so. There are contingents coming from North and South California, Southern US and the Eastern seaboard. Don't write it off just yet!!

Best
    BB
    BB2

10. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 211

I totally understand.

It's just my opinion that with so many options the likely hood of an event to equal or surpass what we witnessed at the 40th is unlikely.

With only one event for the 40th no one wanted to miss it and that's what made it the epic event it was with people coming from likely every state

Ric and I will be at more than one.. as will many others.. see you all then
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default All Formula Fs

As far as I know. The 50th at Road Atlanta is the only event that will welcome all Formula Fords, any motor, any tire. The other events are vintage and historic events. Please correct me if I am mistaken

I will be at running at Lime Rock but not in my Formula Ford as it is not Historic or Vintage

Ed

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 130

Default Great year for Formula Fords.......

I've been going to Lime Rock since I was 9. Now I'm 62. Somewhere I have pics of my first day there, it shows people standing on grass berms at turn 2 watching the race. no tire barriers, no fence, nothing. Ah, the good'ol days before "Litigation"....

I continued to attend races there and elsewhere all through high school and collage, eventually getting my competition license with Skip Barber at Lime Rock in 1986. I had a Crossle 16F, raced it there and all else for over ten years with a short hiatus at the 30 FF Anniversary. loved it.

Myself and Holgar Ahl at LRP in late 80's...

I left racing to go fly gliders. Just as scientifically challenging and rewarding as racing cars but much quieter. Now I'm back racing with a Lola T202...

Sadly, so many organizations are getting their own 50th races organized, it may tend to thin out the fields a bit. As much as I would love to do all the races scheduled for the Anniversary, I will not be able to. Some of them line up with 3-4 weekends in a row.

However....

Lime Rock has a special place in me. It's my "home-track". I will be attending because it is so special and forfeit some of the other races. I hope to Hell someone has lined up a Caldwell D9 for Skip to drive that weekend.......You all do remember, he is our first Formula Ford champion in the USA.

Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery...

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 25

Default 50th at Road America

Hi Ed,

Not to take away from the other events, but
    I will correct you, the Road America event will allow ALL Formula Fords, ALL Ford engines, and ANY tires
    further to Bernard's comments, Steve Beeler and team are in fact working very hard to make the event a must attend event

While in conjunction with VSCDA, the anniversary will have two run groups for FF's only! And a Saturday evening concours at the Osthoff! for those who have never been, it's a spectacular setting!! we plan to have 20-25 FF's on display as the feature

We hope you can make it, we are very close to the maximum entry list of 200 cars!
    Last edited by Jeff Jagusch; 01.18.19 at 3:59 PM.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Jeff,
    Mike Rand here, Beelers partner n the 40th.
    Ed is correct mostly.
    While the Rd Am 50th looks to be well supported Steve his made it clear only Kent or Cortina powered FF's will be allowed.
    No Honda Fit powered cars, whether newer cars or converted CF chassis.
    His rules, his playing field, all up front and understood and accepted.
    Fair enough.
    Right Coast however will accept any FF motor running any tire at all Right Coast races including our two Golden 50th FF events at Mid Ohio late June and Road Atlanta early November
    We have numerous converted CF chassis, like my own Crossle 30F, and us with Fit motors accept that we are not welcome at vintage/historic races regardless of tire choice.
    I live 5 miles from Lime Rock and won't be able to participate in their Labor Day FF 50th. My choice of motor, understood.
    In fact in conversation with Skip Barber I said you, LRP, don't want to allow Hondas or slicks.
    Not about the "purity" of the class, rather to generate as big a field as they can from within the vintage/historic FF community.

I will say, I am regularly beaten like a dog by numerous well driven Kent CF cars !
    Some day some forward thinking vintage/historic organizers will allow Fit powered CF cars on appropriate tires in and then we'll see if they dominate. They won't. They'll be competitive, but not dominant.
    I will be happy to be the test entrant, anyone take me up on that ?
    VRG ? SVRA ? Anyone ?
    Last edited by Michael Rand; 01.23.19 at 5:02 PM.

20. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Jeff,
    Mike Rand here, Beelers partner n the 40th.
    Ed is correct mostly.
    While the Rd Am 50th looks to be well supported Steve his made it clear only Kent or Cortina powered FF's will be allowed.
    No Honda Fit powered cars, whether newer cars or converted CF chassis.
    His rules, his playing field, all up front and understood and accepted.
    Fair enough.
    Right Coast however will accept any FF motor running any tire at all Right Coast races including our two Golden 50th FF events at Mid Ohio late June and Road Atlanta early November
    We have numerous converted CF chassis, like my own Crossle 30F, and us with Fit motors accept that we are not welcome at vintage/historic races regardless of tire choice.
    I live 5 miles from Lime Rock and won't be able to participate in their Labor Day FF 50th. My choice of motor, understood.
    In fact in conversation with Skip Barber I said you, LRP, don't want to allow Hondas or slicks.
    Not about the "purity" of the class, rather to generate as big a field as they can from within the vintage/historic FF community.

I will say, I am regularly beaten like a dog by numerous well driven Kent CF cars !
    Some day some forward thinking vintage/historic organizers will allow Fit powered CF cars on appropriate tires in and then we'll see if they dominate. They won't. They'll be competitive, but no dominant.
    I will be happy to be the test entrant, anyone take me up on that ?
    VRG ? SVRA ? Anyone ?
    Mike you always make me smile with your comments and ideas. All of which are good, plus you make me look tame in comparison when I ask the powers to be...why not?.....lol. See you and the crew this summer. Pizza at Joe's in Ellwood after PittRace?

Rob Bork

Liked: 3787

Rand,
    Did you ever think the reason all these groups are blocking Fit entries is just to make sure
    YOU and Jim Morgan don't show up?
    Just saying.

23. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by LenFC11 View Post
    The 40th was by far the best event I have been to.. I'm sure those that where there will agree.

When only one celebration those interested will make the effort to be there.. with multiple celebrations none have to potential to be the epic event that was the 40th..

When one speaks of the 40th everyone knows the event being referenced.. the 50th.. which one?? Kinda sad to me the 50th won't be bigger and better...
    I agree totally. That event was a perfect storm of opportunity for everyone. That event, with the introduction of the FIT package, changed my racing life, as I decided to return to the class that had financially and emotionally all but bankrupt me almost 2 decades before. I promised myself I would be racing in the class for the 50th.

Very disappointed that the multiple events and segregated segments of the class have left us with a series of events, most of which my cars are not welcome at. Opportunity missed! But I sincerely hope that everyone enjoys the events they choose to support and those that missed the 40th can cherish their 50th BP memories.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Default Glass half empty or half full?

We currently have a wonderful resurgence in the formula ford ranks. We should be celebrating that after 50 years the class is growing again, not bemoaning there are too many 50th celebrations.

I can think of at least 5 events on the East Coast alone that are doing something special for the anniversery this year. Would you rather have it that we couldn't even fill one grid all season?

Why can't we all go to Mid-Ohio or Atlanta or Road America or PittRace or LimeRock and enjoy great racing, great events, great parties and great commraderie all race season? Best of all, your car (contrary to Greg's dismay) will certainly fit somewhere or maybe everywhere. Also why not have more than one event. I don't remember there being a poll to see if everyone thought Road America should be the Official Event. Heck it's a long ass haul of over 12 hours for me, I can go to LimeRock, Pitt and Mid-Ohio for the same amount of time and gas.

I don't see the multiple events hurting the RA event. Sure 200 cars is cool but I have concerns about running in a group of 100+ with cars and drivers who have not been on track since the 40th. Maybe they can shake the rust off at an earlier and smaller 50th event?

Besides, there are races all season every year. To me each one is a celebration that I have the personal and financial ability to attend them. Does that detract from any of the events, not one bit. (Well besides my piss ass driving, right Greg?...lol)

Let's start looking at the opportunity this year from a glass half full perspective and enjoy what many have worked hard at creating. I know I will be at as many of the 50th celebrations as time and money allow, lifting a glass to toast everyone else there...make that a full glass for me!

Rob Bork

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Rand,
    Did you ever think the reason all these groups are blocking Fit entries is just to make sure
    YOU and Jim Morgan don't show up?
    Just saying.
    Probably correct. In both races at the 40th, only one person passed me. Rand on those crappy Dunlop’s, in the rain on the last lap. I’ve been waiting 9 1/2 years for payback. See you in November Rand.

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Ric,
    I hate to burst your fragile bubble but when I passed you in the rain on Sunday at Elkhart at the 40th, I was on slicks like we all were as the rain came up unexpectedly.
    That was a lesson in getting off the line in the wet early away from the oil and finding what little grip there was around the outside.
    Ask Jon Swanson and a bunch of others...I think I made up 20 plus positions in those few wet laps !
    I had been wanking around way back but finished up around mid teens at the checkers …..
    See you soon

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Ric,
    Looks like you were WAY faster in the dry, based on best lap:

17 37 Michael Rand FF 34:23.2 02:42.0 11 02:36.5 5 93.144 Miles/h
    18 91 Ric Baribeault FF 34:25.3 02:44.1 11 02:30.6 5 96.744 Miles/h
    Last edited by Garey Guzman; 01.25.19 at 12:59 AM.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 3787

I remember Rand doing a beautiful spin at T5. But, I think the Chinese judge only gave him a 8.7.
    Or... was that the Runoffs? It all blures together.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Ric,
    I hate to burst your fragile bubble but when I passed you in the rain on Sunday at Elkhart at the 40th, I was on slicks like we all were as the rain came up unexpectedly.
    That was a lesson in getting off the line in the wet early away from the oil and finding what little grip there was around the outside.
    Ask Jon Swanson and a bunch of others...I think I made up 20 plus positions in those few wet laps !
    I had been wanking around way back but finished up around mid teens at the checkers …..
    See you soon
    Now that’s just fuel to the fire lol.

Garey,
    Absolutely correct, I was, as said, wanking around in he mid 30's till the rain came.
    Between a huge number of spinners and folks staying on the slippery dry line, I thought I was a hero ! Passed numerous cars each ap. Love to see a la chart of those last 5-6lap !
    Up till them I was the very definition of a mid-pack spear carrier making up the numbers….

The lap chart is MYLAPS Speedhive if you want to see it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

"Mid pack spear carrier"

What the hell is that Rand?
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

37. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    "Mid pack spear carrier"

Probably a reference to his younger days as a hunter/gatherer....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Garey Guzman; 01.25.19 at 1:20 PM.
    Garey Guzman

39. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    "Mid pack spear carrier"

I believe it’s a new invention made by feral clown bog farts...his former sponsor.

Agnif,
    MPSC was me driving like I was out for a Sunday drive.
    The exhaustion of getting to the Sunday of the 40th after Steve Beelers and my 2 years of organization [ never my strong point as you well know, luckily it is Beelers strong point !] and effort just kind of came to a conclusion and I spent much of the race in a daze until the rain kinda woke me up.
    Bogfarts Feral Clown prolly must have entered in somewhere…..

Liked: 11

I'm looking forward to attending several of the 50th events. My car will probably be done, but I'll still be coming back from surgery. So I'll be eagerly following your adventures as a spectator.

Mike, I would love to see the logo for your "Bogfarts" sponsor.

Thread Information