Thread: dry sump kit

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Wanted To Buy dry sump kit

I am thinking of installing a dry sump kit on my 2007-2008 gsxr 1000
    what kind of systems are available and what seems to work the best?
    thanks
    dave
    doleary@rohrich.com

Liked: 80

call Jesse Brittsan

Liked: 49

BRD is best. See Kevin Mitz's post on the other forum. He's selling some new near ones he's trying to offload.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Question...

David, I am curious as to why you are contemplating the switch from wet sump to dry sump? My understanding is that several of the modern-design wet sump oil pans for your '07-08 gixxer do an outstanding job of keeping the oil near the oil pickup during high-g loading. Some of the early pan designs were not so good, and allowed the oil pump to suck air momentarily, which would eventually be followed by a big bang.

Although I am a fan of dry sump systems on formula cars with automobile engines and oil reservoirs integrated into the bell housing, I much prefer the simplicity of a wet sump system on my gixxer-powered sports racer. If ultra-high-g guys like Loshak can't slosh the oil away from the oil pickup, it's going to work great for the rest of us mere mortals. No oil pump belt to break or fly off, no scavange hose to collapse.

Having said all that, of course the greatest advantages of a dry sump is that it provides a few extra horsepower and cooler oil temperature, due to reduced oil churning by the crankshaft. Also, lower mounting of the engine is possible (ie, lower center of gravity). Hmmm, maybe I need to rethink this......

Default dry sump

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jeffords View Post
    David, I am curious as to why you are contemplating the switch from wet sump to dry sump? My understanding is that several of the modern-design wet sump oil pans for your '07-08 gixxer do an outstanding job of keeping the oil near the oil pickup during high-g loading. Some of the early pan designs were not so good, and allowed the oil pump to suck air momentarily, which would eventually be followed by a big bang.

Although I am a fan of dry sump systems on formula cars with automobile engines and oil reservoirs integrated into the bell housing, I much prefer the simplicity of a wet sump system on my gixxer-powered sports racer. If ultra-high-g guys like Loshak can't slosh the oil away from the oil pickup, it's going to work great for the rest of us mere mortals. No oil pump belt to break or fly off, no scavange hose to collapse.

Having said all that, of course the greatest advantages of a dry sump is that it provides a few extra horsepower and cooler oil temperature, due to reduced oil churning by the crankshaft. Also, lower mounting of the engine is possible (ie, lower center of gravity). Hmmm, maybe I need to rethink this......
    Hi Jon
    I have 2 engines with Moon oil pans on them but I have lost 2 motors at summit point in the same place coming out of the S and up
    to the bridge, both motors where good strong motors and both lost oil pressure in the same place, the rest of the tracks we run we do not have a problem, so my choice is change something or don't go to summit anymore!!!!

Liked: 896

Jesse Britsan
    Brd
    Britsan racing development.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

For Trade dry sump

Hello
    Anyone have a email or phone number to try to get a BRD dry sump?
    or know where i can buy one.
    I have tried to het ahold of Jesse but the email address is not good
    thank you

Thread Information