Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

Default Reverse Engineering Electronics

The discussion about the Howard ignition boxes, and I'm sure there are other designs from the mid-80s through the mid-90s leads me to believe there is a small, but perhaps not insignificant market for reverse engineering services. A friend of mine has been keeping an ancient DOS laptop alive because the cost of developing a modern environment to run the re-programming software for his Bosch EFI exceeds the cost of a new EFI set-up.

I have access to a small number of people who have done this for a living and are now retired. One for example, reverse engineered the ignition module on his vintage Yamaha dirt bike because they frequently blew out and Yamaha charged an arm and a leg for them. he improved it and sold them out of his garage for a number of years.

If you have something that needs to be fixed and there are no alternatives I can reach out and see if any of the old guys are interested in a side job.

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    A friend of mine has been keeping an ancient DOS laptop alive because the cost of developing a modern environment to run the re-programming software for his Bosch EFI exceeds the cost of a new EFI set-up.
    I'm no expert, but DOSBox under Linux or Win10 doesn't do the job? I gather VirtualBox has not fully implemented DOS guests.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Tim - he tried some stuff in the past, if I see him this weekend i'll pass this along

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I'm no expert, but DOSBox under Linux or Win10 doesn't do the job? I gather VirtualBox has not fully implemented DOS guests.
    Some of the problems I have run into many of the programs want a com 1 or 2 port and they want to use the hardware directly. They do not play well with a usb port on com11 or 9pin to usb converters. Very few computer these days come with 9 pin com ports.

I figured the issue had more to do with the hardware interface than the software. Not insurmountable, but would require an external converter and perhaps some code changes to deal with longer than expected times for the protocols to execute. Or one could probably execute it in a custom desktop with the appropriate interface boards.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    Some of the problems I have run into many of the programs want a com 1 or 2 port and they want to use the hardware directly. They do not play well with a usb port on com11 or 9pin to usb converters. Very few computer these days come with 9 pin com ports.
    This is something I come across regularly in the 'day job' (laboratory equipment) as we service/repair a number of instruments that use serial comms. We have an old laptop for just this purpose as they don't like USB converters despite what the converter manfacturers say!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Rick,

Tell me more about these "vintage Yamaha dirtbike" ignition modules. PM or email is fine.

I have a "Vintage" Yamaha YZ250 that I am racing with a vintage MX group out here. Of course, there are many eras of Vintage MX bikes. . .the various classes tend to correlate with years most manufactures' made large leaps in technology. I have the newest era of Vintage eligible dirt bike permitted, so the ignition modules you are speaking may not apply. However, I am currently restoring another 2-stroke that has 42 year old Italian engine and ignition.
    \

Thread Information