Liked: 4

Default Howard Engineering Costa Mesa CA

Hi Guys, I am rebuilding a car with a VW GOLF 1600 8 valve it is fitted with a crank triger inigition with the name Howard Engineering Costa Mesa on the crontrol box .
    Can you help with a contact or information on this as I have been on Mr Google with no luck , Thank You Lloyd.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver racecar engineering View Post
    Hi Guys, I am rebuilding a car with a VW GOLF 1600 8 valve it is fitted with a crank triger inigition with the name Howard Engineering Costa Mesa on the crontrol box .
    Can you help with a contact or information on this as I have been on Mr Google with no luck , Thank You Lloyd.
    Maybe try VWVortex.com and TheSamba.com

SoCal was a hotbed of VW performance companies back in the day. If Howard Engineering Costa Mesa is no longer around, perhaps somebody on one of those sites will be familiar with the box.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 09.30.18 at 11:50 AM. Reason: I'm a dumbass and confused site with sight

Liked: 246

Homer Howard ignitions were definitely the best of the best in the 80-90’s but don’t think homer closed down years ago. Ethan Shippert who posts here on occasion may have more info, or contact veloce motors West. Todd

Default Howard Engineering

Thank You for the replys will check out the info.
    As you said VW GOLF engined cars were hot in 80s-90s in the SO-CAL area that somebody from that area may be able to help.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I found this on Mr. Google

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3866590

Not sure if you are looking for technical information or replacement parts, maybe this will either answer your questions or just create more

Hi, Daryl Thank You for the information, guess I will have to find a electronics guy to read it for me.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 415

Homer passed away several years ago. His son tried to take over the business unsuccessfully. Homer was a whiz and made the absolute best ignitions, although he was close to the chest about how they worked.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

The main problem I have got is setting inigition timing never having worked with crank angle inigtion . There are 2 wires from the black box to the coil ,the oringal distributor is used to send spark to the cylinders .
    Question is the timing automatically adjusted by the black box or is it adjusted by moving the distributor , Thank You Lloyd.

Homer made 2 types of boxes. Single and dual. Single worked off crank trigger. Dual had a circuit for crank (run mode) and distributor (start mode). A switch was installed to change to crank mode after start. I imagine it had a retard function similar to Cosworth DFVs where the ignition is regarded when the starter is actuated. You could run on the distributor mode at low revs and only to get back to the pits.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Hi Charles, You said his son tried to take over after his father passed away, do you have a contact or know who may as he may be able to help if nobody comes back on the forum , Thahk You Lloyd

Hi Charles, You said his son tried to take over after his father passed away, do you have a contact or know who may as he may be able to help if nobody comes back on the forum , Thank You Lloyd

This was well over a decade ago IIRC. Sorry, no contact info. Phone number was on a sticker on the ignition box.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Liked: 268

Default Howard ignitions

I have several old Howard units, some work , some don't. A friend of mine who was reasonably familiar with the electronics looked at the board and easily duplicated it and said anyone familiar with transistors, resistors, etc would have no problem doing the same. The pick up was a simple Hall effect unit that was available from Radio Shack ( now gone) but any electronic parts house will do. I think they were sold for about $5.00 for four or five of them. They die instantly if they touch the magnet device but are easily changed out. You have to be careful soldering as the wires are very fine but other than that it is easy.
    You can easily remote the Pertronix units so they work similar to a crank fire Howard unit and are mostly dead reliable. All you have to do is machine a disc to insert the magnets in and mount the Pertronix cube. The magnets are pole sensitive and since I can't remember which pole is to the outside you can contact them for this. I have used this setup on my BMW V12 for the last 8 years, works great and cheap.

Liked: 101

Default the man

call lance nist he is the brain behind elec systems 949 250 1797
    Dee
    RT41, Penske Rt5

Thread Information