Liked: 226

Default FF50th @ Road America: Odds & Ends

Here are a few FF50th odds and ends ahead of early registration that will open in in late October:

Transponders. Approved transponders are the AMB / MyLaps TranX260 (original design) and the MyLaps X2 (new design).

Minimum Weights. Minimum weights will be 1110 lbs (Kent) and 1060 lbs (Cortina) with driver per the 2015 SCCA GCR.

Shock Absorbers. Shocks will be unrestricted for entry but will be a determining factor in group placement and sub-class definition and assignment. Shock info (type, location, external cannisters, etc) will be collected in the entry process.

For more information, here is the link to all previous FF50th @ Road America news releases:
    https://stevebeeler.com/ff50th/

Steve Beeler – de facto FF50th Chairman
    Lola T-540 HU44
    steve@stevebeeler.com
    https://www.stevebeeler.com/
    (734)560-6031

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Question regarding Monoposto Rules. Believe I saw that those of us running Vintage (pre '73) cars, VSCDA uses Monoposto Rules. In those Rules, Steel Wheels are required. Are we gong to held to that? Several of the drivers I know that are planning to attend only have aluminum wheels, Period correct such as Revolutions or Panasports. I have a set of steel, but don't really want to have to have tires mounted on them for a single event.

Thanks for putting this together!

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Liked: 186

I'm not in charge (thank goodness!) but Ally wheels are not "period correct" for pre '73 FFs. The solution that a lot of clubs have for this is to classify a pre '73 car with aluminum wheels as Club Fords.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Thanks. By "period correct", I meant they are older style wheels, not something like Panasport Mega lites, OZ, etc. Some of the guys I know who were involved with FF's early on, said they went away from steel wheels due to cracking. Not sure what year that was though.

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by racingflyboy View Post
    Question regarding Monoposto Rules. Believe I saw that those of us running Vintage (pre '73) cars, VSCDA uses Monoposto Rules. In those Rules, Steel Wheels are required. Are we gong to held to that? Several of the drivers I know that are planning to attend only have aluminum wheels, Period correct such as Revolutions or Panasports. I have a set of steel, but don't really want to have to have tires mounted on them for a single event.

Thanks for putting this together!

Steve
    I hear what you are saying, but it isn't just any one event. 40 bucks for a mount is an issue to keep period correct and be classified appropriately? That's like like 35 miles of towing fuel.....

Liked: 226

I just now noticed the question about wheels. Here's my thinking:

One of the challenges in organizing a truly national event is Formula Ford's incredible diversity. A lot has happened over the last 50 years! Not only have the cars changed, but there is no longer just one rule book. Wheels, tires, and shocks are slightly different across the country.

So what to do? Race your car at the FF50th with the wheels, tires, and shocks that your home club recognizes. The registration process will include a questionnaire that will collect data to classify your car and place it in one of the two race groups. The initial five classifications are likely to change based on the composition of the early entries.

Engines are a different matter. One set of rules will apply to everyone. The VSCDA Technical Requirements for Race Cars follows Monoposto Racing rules which in turn reference the SCCA 2015 GCR. Equipment and expertise will be on-site at the FF50th to inspect engines if required.

When you are in a 100 car draft though Kettle Bottoms, you will be way too busy to worry about whether the cars around you are on steel or aluminum wheels. Enjoy the experience.

Steve Beeler – de facto FF50th Chairman
    Lola T-540 HU44
    steve@stevebeeler.com
    https://www.stevebeeler.com/
    (734)560-6031
    Last edited by steve_beeler; 10.04.18 at 1:38 PM. Reason: typo

9. The following 7 users liked this post:

Thread Information