Liked: 5

Default Repairing a Swift FF2000 Bellhousing

Hello All..

We've developed a crack in the whopping great magnesium cast bellhousing on the little Swift SE3. It's not the first time it's been welded and probably won't be the last..
    We're over in New Zealand and have tame welders, however does anyone have a clue as to the composition of the material swift used?
    or can you shed any light as to the tig rods / process that works?

Many thanks, all the best.. Tim

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Not the specifics you seek, but might be good background when talking with others...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...gnesium-alloys

Sure there are other resources.... (have a Dow mag. welding/fabrication tech. guide out in my old engineering files, haven't seen/needed in years...)

I'd imagine preheating casting, contamination, and cooling are most likely issues that prevent success...rather than the alloy used by Swift... locally we only have "pure" mag. TIG rods readily available...check AWS for more specs/options/procedures..

(castings are often very porous....tough to get clean, + oxidation in pores...)

Bob L.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 110

I would be asking John Crawford at Motorsportsolutions in Christchurch, NZ (03 349 3600). John has probably welded more of these than anyone and he has the jig to hold it all square (ask me how I know...). I have no shares in his business.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by mark elder View Post
    I would be asking John Crawford at Motorsportsolutions in Christchurch, NZ (03 349 3600). John has probably welded more of these than anyone and he has the jig to hold it all square (ask me how I know...). I have no shares in his business.
    This is not a task to scimp on cost, or have some one learn on. Find somebody who has done it before, and pay them what they ask.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Victor Herfeldter in Riverside Ca might be a good source for information on the materials. He worked at Swift as a fabricator when the cars were built.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 37

I’d also appreciate some leads on who in the US is competent to do these repairs. Some time ago I spoke with Doug Learned about this and got his take on the process involved. Definitely takes skill and proper equipment to do the job right.

Liked: 211

I had a bell housing repaired by Keith Averill before. He is a regular poster on the forums
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 183

I hope your bell housing can be repaired economically. if not, reach out, I have one available of a 91 swift which had a LD200 mounted

Liked: 5

Just to close this thread out. Sam Henderson (Rotorweld) in New Zealand successfully repaired the Swift Bellhousing. Also purchased Chris52's, which may eventually find it's way across the water in these COVID restrained shipping times

Thanks all..

Thread Information