Thread: CMod ProSolo

Liked: 20

Default CMod ProSolo

Why don’t you run Pros?

Would you if cars were index classed by power/wt rather than “Prepared & Modified”? (Think CM, FM, DP, EP and DM, EM, XP, FP)

Would you run if CM had its own class? (Like KM, and almost definitely a pipe dream)

Liked: 65

My reason: I don't know enough about how Mk9s handle repeated hard drag launches. Are they reliable? Is the lifespan essentially infinite or should I plan to carry spare ring/pinion, fixed first gear shafts, diffs, driveshafts? More frank information is needed before I'd consider it.

I quite liked the two Lincoln ProSolos I did in my STR S2000, though I did break a ring gear. I didn't do well, but it was lots of fun!

Liked: 35

In my case time and budget. Been doing one of the NW Region Pro events for the last few years and really enjoy them even though I have very little chance of making the challenge. Time wise, spending a second weekend at Crows or Nationals is just not possible. I also have concerns about tire heat cycling, but have little data as to the real effect of the Pro format on the R25b. Sorta feels like I'm absolutely destroying the left rear everytime I launch. (yes, ham footed driver)

Phil

Liked: 80

Pro's are fun but I just don't want to beat on my car like that.

Eric, part of the problem for me not to run a Pro also is what you all talk about every single Pro, "the Index sucks" not very motivating to spend $630 for a Pro weekend ( not including tires ) not have any chance of potentially winning tires to off set the cost?.

Very cool when Jonathan winning the Pro last year? you know when the door opens, the seas part and so on.... Eric if you would like to get the index changed or we can run our own class I will run the Pro with you next year at Crows

Ben

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Pants, we ran a Mondiale with Mk9 for a few years, it didn’t break. If you have lightened or aluminum diff I don’t know. Current LD200 and stock Fit clutch has many hundreds of 5000rpm-limiter launches, no problem.
    I have seen axles/cv joints break - fortunately not mine, but I do carry a spare.

Phil, your car must have more power than mine. Hard launched result in wheelspin but not for long. Data says it’s faster to let them spin than to pedal it.

Ben, most of the index sucks is based on course dependancy. When Jon won the Finale the course had a short straight and zero tight turns. With huge discrepancies in power to weight the course walk can tell you which cars are going to do well. The index is never going to be perfect but if cars were classed by performance potential it would greatly mitigate the course dependency.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 65

Interesting... I'll have to consider the Lincoln Spring Pro/Nats next year.

Excuse my ignorance: Is there no PAX with the “Prepared & Modified” group? I.e. straight heads-up racing? Or is the PAX from Solo a challenge for CM cars when the launch is added?

Corey

Liked: 231

Quote Originally Posted by ewcmr2 View Post
    Phil, your car must have more power than mine. Hard launched result in wheelspin but not for long. Data says it’s faster to let them spin than to pedal it.
    I don't think there is any reason to go down a road of suggesting his car has more power, the information I have seen suggests the Fits are closer in range between the "best" and "worst" than the Kents ever were.

Phil and I have a bad habit of just dumping the clutch though - I will be the first to admit that I don't have a good technique on how to "properly" launch a car, I have no drag racing experience and have never done a Prosolo. I think you'll find if you just dump the clutch at 4500rpm like we typically do, it's not hard to induce one tire fire!

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Quote Originally Posted by captain_pants View Post
    Excuse my ignorance: Is there no PAX with the “Prepared & Modified” group? I.e. straight heads-up racing? Or is the PAX from Solo a challenge for CM cars when the launch is added?
    ProSolo has its own index. CM Pro index is .881 Whilst our Solo index is .890.
    The index gets results close but when you have cars with 10lbs/hp mixed with cars at <4lbs/hp the course very much determines the out come. Short straight and big sweepers and CM can do well. Long straight, tight corners with accel zones and power cars crush.

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    I don't think there is any reason to go down a road of suggesting his car has more power,
    Ohh, looks like someone is getting defensive

Phil and I have a bad habit of just dumping the clutch though. I think you'll find if you just dump the clutch at 4500rpm like we typically do, it's not hard to induce one tire fire!
    Cars with actual power can’t definitely benefit from clutch slippage but FF’s do fine with sidestepping the pedal. Not that you need advice to go faster but if you’re smoking the left without help from the right I’d be looking at Groots bearings, brakes, corner weights...

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by ewcmr2 View Post
    Ohh, looks like someone is getting defensive

Cars with actual power can’t definitely benefit from clutch slippage but FF’s do fine with sidestepping the pedal. Not that you need advice to go faster but if you’re smoking the left without help from the right I’d be looking at Groots bearings, brakes, corner weights...
    so is that a setup issue then? (the single wheel spin)

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 35

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    so is that a setup issue then? (the single wheel spin)
    If it is, I have no idea how to define the correct setup to deal with it. There seems to be so much variance in off the line drive that occurs just from the rear tires evolving in traction from heating/cleaning/pressure changes. When the tires "turn on" the drive off the line is actually very good. The 55+ mph 1st gear and good torque do like to spin the rear up very fast. This last weekend I tried some very low rear pressures (mostly by accident dealing with a leak in the right rear) and found the rear "hooking up" better then usual for the cool/dusty conditions. Car has always been very sensitive to getting the tires working. One of the reasons I'm considering alternatives on the tire side.

Phil

Liked: 99

in 2014 at spring nats I did the Pro and on the 4th launch the diff blew.

In 2015 I got over my fear of the diff and did the Toledo pro. On sat in 5.3" of rain I was leading by mile. On Sunday in the dry Clemens destroyed me. A lot was in the launch. Later that year we found the motor mount cracked and 3 chassis cracks.

I think launches at the pro are worse on the car because of the severity of the rubber laid down. I also don't run a stock clutch. The earlier cars were never designed to run on a tire this wide nor as sticky. I think Gary blew his diff recently also.

I'm not a fan of the best time over 2 days and sometimes 3 different conditions. I respect the ProSolo a lot but it just hasn't clicked for me in CM. I'll try it again in the future in something. I do get really excited to see the Dulon and Clements cars do so well
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Phil, if it always the left I’d think you have a setup issue, it it’s variable, that’s normal.

Brandon, we’re the broken diffs stock Hewland parts or lightened/aluminum?

Liked: 99

stock hewland steel, and it was the spider gears that let go. Unknown age and history. Can't remember what Gary's failure was but I know it involved a ring and pinion replacement
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Liked: 9

Phil... also, you are launching in Packwood. That's not the grippiest surface on earth.

Thread Information