Liked: 103

Default Suggestion to help recover stolen trailers....number on roof

These are the days of sheriff and police departments having drones for areal observation.

I suggest everyone put a unique series of large numbers and or letters on the roof of your trailer to help in it's recovery.

I had some left over 14 in tall black vinyl 7's and 0's from my last race car build. So I put the number 7700 on the roof. The trailer was white.

If you want to make if even more visible at night, use IR reflective vinyl.

I lived in the LA area and if my trailer ever got stolen, I figured a white trailer with 7700 in tall black letters on the roof would stand out like a sore thumb from the air by either a traffic copter or a UAV in LA traffic.

Of course the stupid thieves will not even know the number is up there.

Just a thought.....
    Last edited by Bill Manofsky; 09.16.18 at 6:52 PM.
    1980 Lola T540E Club Ford
    1975 Lola T342 Club Ford

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 211

I had put my phone number on the roof of my last trailer for exactly this reason
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LenFC11 View Post
    I had put my phone number on the roof of my last trailer for exactly this reason
    I am going to put "Stolen from Bill...Big Reward".......
    1975 Lola T342 Club Ford

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I put my car number on the roof but I like hte phone number idea better.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Hmmmm. On the one hand it works for live sightings. On the other, if using any google imagery (and I don't know what access law enforcement has to google overhead collections) then their software blurs numbers. I tried to figure out if my RV would fit under the portico at Wilmington Airport, went to street view, and you guessed it - they blurred the max ht number!

On the other hand, anything like large color blocks, etc just breaks up the outline and makes it harder to discern as the object you are looking for.

I'm not sure the police will even bother to look for stolen property anymore unless they figure out it's some large enterprise. That's why I mention google earth - you might need to look for it yourself.

i also think it helps to take the tongue jack and raise the front of the trailer up as high as possible, and if it's possible to lock the jack in that position, even better. Just another thing to complicate their decision process and go after a softer target.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Hmmmm. On the one hand it works for live sightings. On the other, if using any google imagery (and I don't know what access law enforcement has to google overhead collections) then their software blurs numbers. I tried to figure out if my RV would fit under the portico at Wilmington Airport, went to street view, and you guessed it - they blurred the max ht number!

On the other hand, anything like large color blocks, etc just breaks up the outline and makes it harder to discern as the object you are looking for.

I'm not sure the police will even bother to look for stolen property anymore unless they figure out it's some large enterprise. That's why I mention google earth - you might need to look for it yourself.

i also think it helps to take the tongue jack and raise the front of the trailer up as high as possible, and if it's possible to lock the jack in that position, even better. Just another thing to complicate their decision process and go after a softer target.

Google Earth only takes their pictures every one to two years. I don't know how that would be of help to the police.

Locking the wheels, raisingt the tongue, etc are all goo deterrents. I figured a unique number on the roof is the same as engraving your phone number on all your valuables. It helps the cops tell yours from all the others. They will want all the serial and license numbers anyway, but the roof is the last place the thieves will look.
    1975 Lola T342 Club Ford

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1871

Raise the tongue until the tail sits on some concrete blocks.

Raise some more to put more weight on the tongue, then lower onto some more concrete blocks ( or a tall, custom jackstand that has a hitch ball on it).

Remove the tongue jack.

It isn't going to go any where!

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Raise the tongue until the tail sits on some concrete blocks.

Raise some more to put more weight on the tongue, then lower onto some more concrete blocks ( or a tall, custom jackstand that has a hitch ball on it).

Remove the tongue jack.

It isn't going to go any where!
    Many are being stole out of hotel and race track parking lots. Would have to tote around a lot of concrete blocks.

Best solution is a tracking device and wheel and tongue locks.
    1975 Lola T342 Club Ford

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Manofsky View Post
    Yes. GeoSky Alert (no connection other than a satisfied customer). Very easy to install and use. Reasonable cost as well.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

near-daily global coverage will be here in less than a decade. it's about once every 60 days now, but sun angles and weather really reduce the utility.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 115

Default Donnie Isley sells trailer alarms

Long time FV racer Donnie Isley and Laura Hayes have a business selling trailer alarms. Same idea - alarm and tracker combined. Donnie should be reachable via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Yes. GeoSky Alert (no connection other than a satisfied customer). Very easy to install and use. Reasonable cost as well.

Regards,
    Dan

Liked: 18

I wrote an article about doing this that was initially published in 2008 in RPM Magazine, and then share it with other magazines. Here is a link on my website. (I am not a writer, nor do I claim to be one, and this is what came out)
    https://www.trailer-alarms.com/Article_ep_44-1.html

These are the days of sheriff and police departments having drones for areal observation.

I suggest everyone put a unique series of large numbers and or letters on the roof of your trailer to help in it's recovery.

I had some left over 14 in tall black vinyl 7's and 0's from my last race car build. So I put the number 7700 on the roof. The trailer was white.

If you want to make if even more visible at night, use IR reflective vinyl.

I lived in the LA area and if my trailer ever got stolen, I figured a white trailer with 7700 in tall black letters on the roof would stand out like a sore thumb from the air by either a traffic copter or a UAV in LA traffic.

Of course the stupid thieves will not even know the number is up there.

Just a thought.....
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    2x PRI Global Media Award Winner
    PRI Booth 7100

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 102

Many are being stole out of hotel and race track parking lots.

Tongue locks don't work. Determined thieves simply use the chains on the tongue to attach the tongue to the receiver and drive away with the tongue swinging on the chains.
    I remove a driver's side tire and put it in the trailer. Put the axle on a jack stand, the trailer isn't going anywhere on 3 tires.

Most insurance companies offering or using an ODB plug in for insurance discounts have tracking built in those devices. No need to buy additional equipment to track your tow vehicle. Ask for one, they are free and the insurance companies usually give you a discount for using one.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Most law enforcement agencies who have the budget for an air support division are going to have much more pressing issues for their airship, than to play a game of hide n' seek looking to recover stolen vehicles.

They aren't going to be flying around with a list of stolen vehicles taped to their windscreen, unless it belonged to their Chief or Captain.

If you called 911 as your trailer was being towed away or you were carjacked, numbers on the roof of the trailer would certainly help locate the vehicle from the air. Especially if you don't have a description of the tow vehicle.

I've been on a few "fly-alongs" with a municipality that provided mutual aid to surrounding cities without their own airship. Once they take flight they are airborne for a couple hours at a time. It's not a quick process to get one, sitting on the ground, up in the air. If/when they are flying around with not much action, they will look for vehicles pinging a LoJack signal. Otherwise, they just leave that to the ground units.

They are much more interested in catching somebody in the act, than simply in possession.

LoJack. That way it pings law enforcement. They do send units out to recover stolen vehicles with LoJack.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C in Az View Post
    the trailer isn't going anywhere on 3 tires.
    Obviously, you've never had to chain an axle up, and drive 100+ miles on I-40 to get another tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C
    Most insurance companies offering or using an ODB plug in for insurance discounts have tracking built in those devices. No need to buy additional equipment to track your tow vehicle. Ask for one, they are free and the insurance companies usually give you a discount for using one.
    If they steal your trailer while attached to your vehicle that could work, provided the thief isn't a professional. The pro's get rid of the SD cards/chips for your NAV/GPS, OnStar right away. Noticing something stuck in your OBD port is likely to get their attention as well.

Provided LoJack has coverage in the area where your trailer is stolen.

https://www.lojack.com/products/lojack-coverage-areas/

As far as the info on the roof, why would you not do it? Takes maybe 10 minutes, and anything to help find my trailer, I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post

LoJack. That way it pings law enforcement. They do send units out to recover stolen vehicles with LoJack.
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

I have had "Purple Frog Racing" painted in 36" tall letters on the top of my trailer for 14 years. Figured it doesn't hurt.

Having a sensor for the insurance company in my ODB port would cost me a lot of money in premiums when they received records of my driving style. Just saying. "Sir, we notice you NEVER drive the speed limit."

Parking the rig at any hotel (except the Ritz Carlton for the concours) scares the hell out of me. One more reason to buy a used motorhome instead of a dually.

When I park at a motel, I pull the electronics out from under the hood and take them to bed with me. Easy fix.

25. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by logager View Post

True, but if you have cell service you likely have LoJack. How are any of the myriad of other devices going to alert you if you don't have cell service?

Quote Originally Posted by logager
    As far as the info on the roof, why would you not do it? Takes maybe 10 minutes, and anything to help find my trailer, I would do.
    Good point. Just pointing out it's not likely that somebody is going to be looking from the air for your stolen trailer, or even when they do see it, have the slightest idea that it's stolen.

Many departments utilize automatic license plate readers. . . the officers don't have to run a plate to see if the vehicle comes back stolen, or the registered owner has outstanding felony warrants. They are patrolling their beat while the computer is scanning, the officer gets an alert with the computer gets a hit. There are several cities around here that have plate readers posted in intersections, alerting a dispatcher if their is a BOLO suspect entering their city.

Up until this year and the latest version, Lojack used basically a glorified RFID type of detection. Only their equipment that was supplied to many area police departments could detect it.

As far as the number on the roof and police looking for my stuff, I'm not counting on them. I will find a friend or a friend of a friend with a pilots license and a plane and do my own searching. I am not going to sit and wait and hope someone might be able to help. I will actively do my own searching.

The info about police scanning license plates, not all states require them on trailers. Not sure of the specifics, but have heard that TN, SC and maybe NC they are not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    True, but if you have cell service you likely have LoJack. How are any of the myriad of other devices going to alert you if you don't have cell service?

Good point. Just pointing out it's not likely that somebody is going to be looking from the air for your stolen trailer, or even when they do see it, have the slightest idea that it's stolen.

Many departments utilize automatic license plate readers. . . the officers don't have to run a plate to see if the vehicle comes back stolen, or the registered owner has outstanding felony warrants. They are patrolling their beat while the computer is scanning, the officer gets an alert with the computer gets a hit. There are several cities around here that have plate readers posted in intersections, alerting a dispatcher if their is a BOLO suspect entering their city.
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Liked: 830

The info about police scanning license plates, not all states require them on trailers. Not sure of the specifics, but have heard that TN, SC and maybe NC they are not required.
    I believe this 'scanning effort' is basically aimed at toll roads .. or occasionally stop light running. They snap photos of license plates for ticketing purposes, but doubt that they run them through any 'stolen' databases although that might turn up during the ticketing process for violators.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    I believe this 'scanning effort' is basically aimed at toll roads .. or occasionally stop light running. They snap photos of license plates for ticketing purposes, but doubt that they run them through any 'stolen' databases although that might turn up during the ticketing process for violators.
    Two different technologies.

The toll roads/red light cameras are cameras that are triggered and then a photo taken. Outside agencies place these, monitor these, and generally act in an attempt to collect revenue for various jurisdictions.

The license plate scanners/readers are actually ALPR's, they are mounted in some intersections (usually busier ones at city limits) and on patrol cars (depending on the budget of the jurisdiction). They are typically on at all times and scanning all plates in view at all times. Info ran through the computer without any action by the officer. Only when the software comes back with a hit is the officer alerted. Different agencies can choose from a myriad of software systems, and can tailor the system to act how they feel they can best be utilized.

I agree the info on the roof is useful, it depends on aircraft and limited police resources. Stolen property is a long way down the priority list here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

I think logager's advice is best, a GPS tracking device that informs you the door has been opened or the trailer has left it's storage space.
    The new Lojack looks really good.

I bought a Geosky Alert about two years ago, it works great. The owner of the company is a racer like us. I know within 1 minute via text and email if the door opens or the trailer is moved more than 400 ft. The iphone app can give you status at any time, including tracking so you can tell the police where it is on the road and its direction. At the time, Geosky was the only one that had all the features I wanted. It can also be connected to an audible alarm or strobe or both. I have a tongue lock and I have the trailer tongue nosed into the space so a thief can't just hitch up and go.

The only other way I can think of to prevent theft is to make it so difficult for the thieves to take it. Put the trailer on stands, pull all the wheels off. Get yourself a mean old goose who wont let you or anyone near it without honking and hissing.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

I think logager's advice is best, a GPS tracking device that informs you the door has been opened or the trailer has left it's storage space. The new Lojack looks really good.

I bought a Geosky Alert about two years ago, it works great. The owner of the company is a racer like us. I know within 1 minute via text and email if the door opens or the trailer is moved more than 400 ft.

Curious, wouldn't you need to be an area with service to receive the text message?

GeoSky Alert: lets you know almost immediately it's been broken into/stolen. Let's you tell the police where the tracking device is currently located.

LoJack: helps the police find the tracking device once you alert them.

Both of the above don't do much/anything to prevent the theft, only hope to expedite recovery. Which could make a big difference as to whether you get back an empty trailer or pretty much everything and maybe the scumbags get caught too.

Attach it to a motorhome and avoid hotels all together. Park the trailer in your garage/backyard. Not a shop/storage yard.

Make the other guys' stuff a much softer target.

I think logager's advice is best, a GPS tracking device that informs you the door has been opened or the trailer has left it's storage space.

The only other way I can think of to prevent theft is to make it so difficult for the thieves to take it. Put the trailer on stands, pull all the wheels off. Get yourself a mean old goose who wont let you or anyone near it without honking and hissing.
    Our new PTS-2G will alert you if someone breaches the trailer. You can also arm/disarm the alarm system through our web based app.
    Also, if the trailer is breached or someone tries to drive off, the alarm will flash the running lights, sound a ~120db siren, and also LOCKS the electric brakes. Sorry, no goose will do that.
    I, as well, have raced and been around racing my entire life, and will be displaying again at PRI in Indy. Booth 7100 is near the front door almost under the hanging car.

Lyle
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    PRI Booth 7100

Sorry, no goose will do that.

Lyle
    True, but I have seen people run in terror from a hissing, honking goose. They might expect a dog, but not a goose.

Lawrence, I know you are a racer as well and you support this site. The Lojack is a great product.

Bottom line is, make it hard for someone to steal your stuff, any way you can.

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information