Liked: 259

Default floor pan rules - ???

how far laterally may (ie: compliantly) the floor pan extend beyond the lower frame rails?? where is it written in the GCR??

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Art Smith View Post
    how far laterally may (ie: compliantly) the floor pan extend beyond the lower frame rails?? where is it written in the GCR??

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

As far as you can successfully argue that it doesn't satisfy their definition of an airfoil. , Assuming the maximum width is still observed. (37.40")
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 09.13.18 at 1:01 AM.

Liked: 1397

Art,

I would argue that any extension of the belly pan beyond the edge of the lower frame rails is a "bad" construction practice. This is especially true when the belly pan is part of the frame structure. I have seen these extended edges lead to the belly pan being torn away from the bottom of the frame in off course excursions.

I rivet a .060 aluminum angle to the side of the lower frame rails and use the angle to support anything I want extending beyond the lower frame rail.

I have seen as much as a 30% degradation of the torsional strength of a frame from a belly pan loosing its bond to the frame.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Art,

I would argue that any extension of the belly pan beyond the edge of the lower frame rails is a "bad" construction practice. This is especially true when the belly pan is part of the frame structure. I have seen these extended edges lead to the belly pan being torn away from the bottom of the frame in off course excursions.
    Given many folks sit on their pan, the thought of this makes my butt hurt.

Liked: 259

thanks guys; your posts answer my question!!

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Liked: 91

I discussed this with the SCCA club racing board in 2014. It is limited by the bodywork maximum width rule, which is 95 cm (37.40 in). It has to be flat, ie not an airfoil until you reach the section at the back for diffusers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information