Liked: 447

Default NASA developed NP01 Spec Racer

Pretty cool to see another option that has the same idea as the FE with keeping costs down if you want to run with NASA.

2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

How have the fields been developing for this car? It’s been out for at least a few years I believe & everything from an outsider looking in seems to be like this car should do very well.
    Steve Bamford

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bamford View Post
    How have the fields been developing for this car? It’s been out for at least a few years I believe & everything from an outsider looking in seems to be like this car should do very well.
    I dunno about car counts, but they are not cheap WWR out of Austin sells them assembled for 82,500. That is a lot of money for FF speed.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    I dunno about car counts, but they are not cheap WWR out of Austin sells them assembled for 82,500. That is a lot of money for FF speed.
    But that’s realistically what a new FF would cost if built, or the FF could cost even more. Reality is there are incredible deals on used FF cars on the market. I think you need compare new to new so then I don’t see the issue.
    Steve Bamford

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 98

They look well-engineered by Elan, very safe, the engines are reliable (Mazda MZR 2000, 185 HP, 145 ft-lb), and the Toyo RR tires are competitive for 20 heat cycles. Operating cost are pretty low.

Unfortunately, they are expensive--$86,000 new. I've seen a used one for sale for $73,000.

Also, their lap times are somewhere between SRF3 and FF. This is because they are heavy--1725 lbs with driver.

They have their own class in NASA, and NASA also lets them race in another class with improved engines and downforce. Elan sells an upgrade kit for that.

I think they attract the sedan crowd because they are enclosed with a cage in front of your head. Most of the sedan racers I've talked to are afraid of formula and sport-racer cars because your head is not protected from the front.

They have been moderately successful sales-wise. A typical race will have 3-6 cars, I think. Although that's a small sampling from memory--I don't have actual data on that.

Greg

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bamford View Post
    But that’s realistically what a new FF would cost if built, or the FF could cost even more. Reality is there are incredible deals on used FF cars on the market. I think you need compare new to new so then I don’t see the issue.
    I understand, and have no issue. You are right on all accounts, Steve. I was looking at FF times vs. this and what a well prepared FF goes for used with extra wheels and spares. At 86k, we are near 100k with a proper spares package.....they look great and I have considered one. At COTA recently, the NASA website showed one in race 3 of the weekend, with best time of 2:33. That is mid to back pack of a Club Ford there

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    I understand, and have no issue. You are right on all accounts, Steve. I was looking at FF times vs. this and what a well prepared FF goes for used with extra wheels and spares. At 86k, we are near 100k with a proper spares package.....they look great and I have considered one. At COTA recently, the NASA website showed one in race 3 of the weekend, with best time of 2:33. That is mid to back pack of a Club Ford there
    Much more popular platform for endurance racing with multiple drivers.

Checking the 2018 schedule this coming weekend the West & East Coast series both compete together at COTA so hopefully that will give a good idea of car counts.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 323

Rough idea of car counts can be seen on the NASA page. There is an interactive map that shows where the cars are located.

https://nasaprototype.com/overview/

Liked: 296

It's funny that this was posted. I did a double take when I got an advertisement for the NP-01 on my instagram yesterday. It took me a few seconds to confirm that it was the same car that's been around for a few years.

Pretty neat car, and definitely cool to have a closed top. I have seen one in person at least twice and it looks like a lot of fun. NASA seems to have pretty decent leadership, though I've never competed with them to confirm.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 757

I tested the NP01 for Elan the first time they ran the car with the upgraded motor and aero kit. I haven't driven the NASA spec version but the quicker car was great fun to drive. Good visibility, great brakes and very predictable to drive.

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    I tested the NP01 for Elan the first time they ran the car with the upgraded motor and aero kit. I haven't driven the NASA spec version but the quicker car was great fun to drive. Good visibility, great brakes and very predictable to drive.
    It seems like it could be uncomfortably hot inside. Your thoughts?

Liked: 757

I did test the car in November at Roebling. It was a warm day but certainly not Georgia summer heat so it wasn't bad at all. There is plenty of space inside for the optional cool suit kit which I believe most people opt for. Having never driven a closed cockpit car before I did wonder what it would be like but I never gave it a second thought once on track. The closed wheels and slightly offset driving position didn't register either.

To me it’s a great looking car & many people have serious concerns about open wheel racing.

I really hope hope this car does well & is a success. It looks like the manufacture has tried to make an offering with realistic budgets in mind.
    Steve Bamford

Thread Information