Liked: 71

Any thoughts on garage floor paint? MonsterGloss seems kind of pricey, I was wondering if anybody had good results from something else that may cost a little less that will stand up to the usual brake clean, dropped tools, spilled beer etc. Any input would be helpful as I need to do it now or forget about it. Thanks

Liked: 0

I looked at a lot of the different floor paints and emded up getting U Coat It because it was the only one that was water based. I found that even though I have a chemistry background, the conditions for application; mixing, coat timing, temperatures, etc., were tricky. With UCoatIt, you ligtlyly wet the floor with water, then put down a diluted first coat, then the finish color coat plus any "sprinkles", friction additive and/or gloss. Worked well, held up even though I use a floor jack. Has a good guarantee.

Cliff,
    Check out this post.
    garage floor coatings

PS- If Doug could resurrect the floor jpeg it is …. SWEET!!!
    Ingredients: Nothing but Barley, Hops, Water & Yeast.

Liked: 23

Speedway Illustrated magazine had a series of articles this winter on setting up a garage workshop and discussed floor paint. Don't recall their reccomendation off hand, but would suggest going to a library to find the articles. They were pretty informative.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Lowe's sells Valspar 2 part Epoxy floor paint, $34 a gallon. Works great has held up very well. Make sure the concrete is thoroughly washed/scrubbed with TSP pressure washed off and then acid etched so the paint will adhere. I used 6 gallons on my 24 x26 garage.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Sherwin Williams has a nice two part epoxy that has held up well on our floor for three years. Brake fluid does not affect it, except for a slight color change. We used the light grey. It went down easily, although you do need a good respirator. I would recomend this paint to anyone.

Cliff, I have a friend that has used Griot's Garage paint in three garages. It seems to have held up very well. I have dropped big hammers and splattered brake fluid on it many times. The gloss is about medium and it is gray in color. I have not used this product but their other products that I have used are outstanding.

Thread Information