Liked: 162

Default Mystery Caliper/Upright

I need a bit of help identifying this caliper and upright from a '70 Rostron FF that I'm restoring. I'm told that the upright may be Lotus 19 but the caliper mounting holes are 2.125" spacing, which doesn't match the type of calipers I'd expect on a Lotus 19. The caliper (top right) is similar to an LF-14 (shown below for comparison), but also has the 2.125" mounting bolt spacing, a ~1.325 diameter piston and the brake pad is a very strange shape. Otherwise it's pretty similar to the LF-14, so I think it's a Girling. At this point I'm thinking I'll convert to LD-19 but that requires a lot of whittling. Any info or suggestion is appreciated.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 158

Default Lotus 51 Upright

That is an early Lotus 51 upright (may also fit a Lotus 22 & 31). You have one correct rear Caliper (10SP I think) and one front 14LF Caliper.

Cheers, Joe

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 158

BTW, the rear caliper is a Girling 10/8H (not a 10SP) and used on a Lotus Elan.

Joe

Liked: 162

Thanks Joe, that's great information. Lee Chapman's site shows the same upright is used for Lotus 22/23, early 41's and the 51's. The Girling 10's have 34mm pistons, I'm trying to get to a brake caliper with around 1.6" pistons. LD-19's or SP12's would fit that bill but neither fits up very well with the upright and rotor without a lot of modification. Later Rostons had SP12's on Lotus 61 uprights. Maybe someone would be interested in trading their later 51 or 61 uprights for these? BTW, the Rostron has LF14's on the front.

Thread Information