Liked: 1

Default Looking to convert my Formula Jedi to FB (F1000)

Hello, I'm new here. I've raced with NASA for years and always wanted to run F1000. I recently purchased a Formula Jedi that was converted into a P2 car. Now I'm looking at converting it back to F1000 UK trim. I'm aware that the car wont be competitive but i'm still interested. I've searched a bit for the formula 1000 rules and regulations and I cant seem to find them. If anyone can shoot me a link i'd appreciate that.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Here is the car in P2 trim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg 
Views:	2204 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	80460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187 2.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	80458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9977 2.JPG 
Views:	1830 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	80459  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	80457  

Liked: 77

The rules for all classes are in the SCCA GCR: https://www.scca.com/downloads/42167-gcr-september-2018

The F1000 rules start on page 274.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    The rules for all classes are in the SCCA GCR: https://www.scca.com/downloads/42167-gcr-september-2018

The F1000 rules start on page 274.

Dave

Thanks!

Liked: 757

I raced a Formula Jedi in the UK - these are cool little cars but I wonder if you'll struggle to make it legal with the pedals in front of the front axle center line? Back home this chassis has a dispensation to be exempt from that rule for some reason. They're also very light (375 kilos with driver when I was racing one) so you might struggle to make it heavy enough too.

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    I raced a Formula Jedi in the UK - these are cool little cars but I wonder if you'll struggle to make it legal with the pedals in front of the front axle center line? Back home this chassis has a dispensation to be exempt from that rule for some reason. They're also very light (375 kilos with driver when I was racing one) so you might struggle to make it heavy enough too.

Thanks, I just read that the drivers feet cant be past the front of the wheel rims. I think I should be good there. Any other things you may see let me know!

Liked: 1403

FB/F1000 is a very advanced formula car class. The performance of the cars is pushing the limit of what can be done with the limitations of the rules. Performance is within 2 seconds of a FA. The platform of the Formula Jedi is on the small size for what you are thinking about.

Look closely at the rules. Most of the successful F1000s are right at the limit of the width allowed in the rules. Narrower and shorter will reduce the cornering potential of the package.

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    FB/F1000 is a very advanced formula car class. The performance of the cars is pushing the limit of what can be done with the limitations of the rules. Performance is within 2 seconds of a FA. The platform of the Formula Jedi is on the small size for what you are thinking about.

Look closely at the rules. Most of the successful F1000s are right at the limit of the width allowed in the rules. Narrower and shorter will reduce the cornering potential of the package.
    Thank you for the response. I guess it’s not worth changing the cars current configuration. Looks like I’ll need to save for a JDR if I want to have something competitive:-)

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by Kgermanton View Post
    Thank you for the response. I guess it’s not worth changing the cars current configuration. Looks like I’ll need to save for a JDR if I want to have something competitive:-)
    Short of buying something new or used, converting a FC is a very good option to think about. And Jay Novac has done that the best of anyone that I can think of.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Short of buying something new or used, converting a FC is a very good option to think about. And Jay Novac has done that the best of anyone that I can think of.
    This would be an excellent candidate

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...w-Dp08-updates

Liked: 1432

My 2 cents...Sell your P2 car and buy a ready to rock FB. For what good, used FB Van Diemen conversions go for you will be much father ahead in terms of time, and money. Used FB conversions can be had for under $25k all day long. Some under $20k. They are still competitive cars.

I doubt you cold convert your car to a legal FB car and do that for less than if you sold it and put that into buying an FB.

12. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 52

I think the car looks great in P2 trim and that’s the best way to maintain its value. There are good FB cars out there for sale and additional cars always seem to pop up at the end of the season. We have several competitors based in the northeast and a great selection of tracks. We are expecting growth in the NAF1000 series next year and the Runoffs are on the east coast. Save your money and enjoy the P2 until the right opportunity comes along.

By the way, I love my new JDR.
    Tim Pierce - #81
    2018 JDR F-1000
    www.area81racing.com

Liked: 159

Default competitive cars available

If you can't swing a new car, there are two very good converted FC cars available at very good prices.

1. Jeremy Hills Photon......his own conversion of a Van Dieman FC. It.has been on the front row of the runoffs....and won many races. Price in the low thirties depending on extras.

2. Dan Robinsons converted FC.....a novak conversion of a Van Dieman FC. A very good car with lots of extras for under 30.

Both have been posted on apexspeed..... several pages back. Robinson post under the name "northwind"..

Leave your current car as is. It would probably make a good autocross car.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars
    636-399-7060

Thread Information