Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Default Vintage FB Fuel cell Size

Hi. Can someone tell me what size fuel cell they run in a vintage FB. Mine is a wedge shape under/behind the seat. It runs a Lotus twin cam. Is 5 gallons big enough for the FB events run? Thanks in advance.
    Graham

Liked: 37

Default By comparison

Experienced runners out here consider that the realistic min. size for a vintage FF.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Default for the LeGrand?

Graham - I presume you're asking for the Mk.6 LeGrand that you're restoring. Back in the day (1967-69) we ran 30-minute Nationals with the behind-seat aluminum tank and never had a problem - are you sure it's not a bit larger than 5 gallons?

But if you want more capacity, don't do what we did for the "pro" series - built a long thin aluminum tank to fit into the left-side curve of the body side and hung it with two long hose clamps from the frame tubes. I was really glad I had taken that tank out before the LA Times GP supporting races in October '69 where I crashed into the Turn One pit wall...

Hope all is going well with the LeGrand -

- Gerhard

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Yes Gerhard it is for the LeGrand. As I have to use a fuel cell now I am just trying to see what others are running. I have a 4 gallon in my FF and have never run out and have done a 40 minute race but we did have about 5 yellow laps. I know this will use a bunch more gas than the FF motor though. It is coming along and looking better all the time.
    Graham

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

If it was me, I'd err on the side of larger. You can always put less fuel in a bigger tank but can't put more fuel in a smaller tank.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Default Looking Good -

Graham - that chrome plating on the suspension really looks sharp. As I told you on the phone, "Red" always liked the way chrome looked, and as long as we got the platers to bake out afterwards, we never had a hydrogen embrittlement problem.

I also see that you have an engine cover. I have to say that we were never really happy with the "styling" of that stubby cover in its several versions, but it does add a more finished look to the car than just total mechanical emptiness behind the roll bar.

Keep up the nice work!

- Gerhard

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Default 30 minute race for vintage FB is a lot of fuel

A few years back I was in a 30 minute race. At the end, there were FB cars strewn around the track - we all ran out of gas at the 28 minute mark. A FF won the race. Since then, we redesigned my fuel cell to hold about 1/2 gallon more. I can send you the drawings if you want (send me a PM). I've only run 20 minute races since then. BTW - SVRA promised no more 30 minute FB races, but I'm not sure if they will stick to that. You are doing the right thing by planning for a 30 minute race.

BTW, the car looks fantastic. Great job on the restoration.

Darrell

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks Darrell. I have send you a PM.
    Graham

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

I would recommend at least 6 gallons. And I’d recommend a hydramat as well to help get it all out. If you run at a place like Elkhart, the Glen, Daytona, COTA, etc where you will spend more time at WOT, a B car will need every bit of that 6+ gallons.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Might be a good idea to fab a sheet metal bracket to go under the sway bar mount and make that A-arm attachment double shear.

Thread Information