Liked: 108

Default Starting motor after sitting a few years

I am in the process of purchasing a P2/ Dsr car. It has sat with little to no attention for a.few years. It has a 2004 fuel injected Yamaha motor. I know I should just pull it and take it to George Dean but I'm afraid my curiosity is going to get the best of me. What steps should I take prior to pushing the start button? New battery and fluids of course. I will also by pass the fuel cell such I'm sure needs cleaned and new foam at the least.
    Very excited to own my first sports racer!!!
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on_track1.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	80392  

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

What chassis is this?
    It appears to be a "Sidewinder". Side mounted engine?
    I love to see more photos of the "particulars".

Best,

Chris

Default Sidewinder

Yes it is a side mounted motor. The car is called a TraXstar and was built in Vancouver BC. There are a dozen or so pictures of the car online. Some pics show a carburated motor with 4 air filters sticking out of the bodywork. I like that! Pretty interesting car.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	80395  

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    I am in the process of purchasing a P2/ Dsr car. It has sat with little to no attention for a.few years. It has a 2004 fuel injected Yamaha motor. I know I should just pull it and take it to George Dean but I'm afraid my curiosity is going to get the best of me. What steps should I take prior to pushing the start button? New battery and fluids of course. I will also by pass the fuel cell such I'm sure needs cleaned and new foam at the least.
    Very excited to own my first sports racer!!!
    Thanks
    Don,
    To answer your question, I'd suggest as a minimum that you pull the plugs, squirt some oil into each cylinder (maybe a tablespoon or so) and turn the engine over by hand (or push it across the floor in gear) several times. You may find that it is locked up .. and rocking it on the floor MIGHT free it up. If you can free it, I'd suggest turning 'by hand' several more times .. maybe spread out over several hours. If all of that goes reasonably well, I'd then disconnect the ignition and turn it over with the starter until you get OIL PRESSURE on the gauge. Don't run the starter continuously for more than, maybe 30 seconds max at a time. Let the starter cool between tries and you'll most likely need to have a charger active on the battery to keep it up as well. By the 2nd or 3rd try, you should be able to get oil pressure within that 30 seconds... if you don't, it's time to tear it down. If you do, turn the ignition on and hit the starter again and hope .. Oh.. since you have the plugs out to put that oil in, make sure you put them back in before that first 'over by hand', but after having a few revolutions on the motor, you might pull the plugs back out to crank for that first oil pressure. It'll be a LOT easier on the starter and you should be able to get OP pretty quickly if it's going to happen at all.
    Good Luck,
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Default Track/star

Good advice for starting. I remember seeing one of those cars in Portland years ago. It was owned by Roger Rotact (sp) of Tacoma. Very innovative design!! I remember George talking about it and the manufacturer wanting him to sign a non-disclosure agreement. It is an interesting car and should fit right into the sports racer group in ICSCC.

Last race in Seattle we had 10 cars in the sports racer class and additional 2 in Test and Tune only. We run separately from the open wheel group.

Racerex1
    Now in North Marysville

This is the Roatch car. Not sure how many races it ran as I haven't seen the log book yet. I know it did some endurance racing and has mounts for air jacks and come with some quick refueling equipment. Glad to see a place to race.
    Anything to be concerned about the fuel injection system.? If it had carbs I would think they would be all gunked up and require cleaning/ rebuilding.
    Thanks for the advice.

Default Track star

I think the fuel injection system will less problems then carbs. Injectors can be cleaned. George has the ability to do that for Suzukis, don't know if he can do Yamaha's. We have another sports race addict in Bothell, Darrell Owens, perhaps you know him?

Racerex1

I have recently relocated to the area from the east coast. Plan on going to the event at the Ridge in a few weeks to check it out. I have already been to Pacific Raceways and found George Deans shop in the short time I've been here lol.
    working now on the paperwork to get the back to the US from Victoria. Should be tinkering on it in a couple weeks.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 94

George Dean is the Man!! Super knowledgeable on all the motors and will take the time to help you out with any questions you might have, even if you're not a customer (yet!).

I remember those cars when they were new. Good to see them come back out of the woodwork!

Default It's alive!

Quick update on the Traxstar. Got iit across the border with no trouble. Had to get an exemption letter from the EPA which was easy.
    Log book shows 6 races 2 being endurance races. There are bracket for air jacks welded in the chassis but I did not get the jacks.Perhaps put some in one day. Did get some quick fueling equipment.
    Spent the last couple days getting the car ready to fire up. After a few failed attempts the car came back to life. Everything motor wise looks good.no reason to believe the Traxstar won't make it back on track next season!

Name:	on_track2.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	82298  

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Trackstar running

Glad to hear you got it running! If you go to the ICSCC website and look under events we have our tentative schedule posted which will be finalized in January. We always have a Test and Tune prior to each IRDC race (usually $180} and as you will see we have a driver training in April our first event.

We had 10 sports racers at our last Seattle event in the test and tune( with different engine sizes and classes). Radical, Caterhams, AMS, Cheata,Decker and Stohr. Hope you can make it out next year with us.

Default 2019

That's a great schedule. Thanks for the info.
    heres a couple pictures of the engine bay. The engine hangs entirely off the rear mount. Seems like some attachment at the front would be a good idea. The car uses quite a bit of motorcycle components including AP racing calipers and "works" shocks. Has TDC uprights which I believe is used on The Cheetah and others. Also has a Pingel electric shifter system.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	236 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	82356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	209 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	82357  

Liked: 133

I ran the Pingel on an AMAC with a GSXR for a few years. It was quite sensitive to properly setting up the throw. Then part way thru a race when it was got hot, it would start missing upshifts. It would take 2-4 hits to get it to upshift from 4-5 and 5-6. Just something to be on the watch for.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 94

[QUOTE=djones;573105]That's a great schedule. Thanks for the info.
    Has TDC uprights which I believe is used on The Cheetah and others. /QUOTE]

I don't remember that detail!!! Those uprights are also used on Amac cars also.

Those are still available from fast forward. I assume those uprights have the larger VW rabbit stub shaft and cv bearing, and not the smaller fiat based parts?

Default AV gas

Putting the finishing touches on the Traxstar and plan to get the car on track next weekend.
    have seen varied opinions on the use of AV gas. Like the cost, consistency, available to me at small airport 2 miles from my shop.
    any opinions? Stock injected 04 R1
    thanks

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

does it have an O2 sensor? If so it will not like the lead.

Default O2

Not sure about that. Will find out. Was told that the lack of a catalytic converter has some barring on it as well.
    will look around for some alcohol free pump gas
    thanks

Default No o2

So no O2 sensor. That a leaves me with a choice . There is a local marina that sells
    Non alcohol 91 octane fuel or I could use avgas. Both same price as well as convenient.
    aleo have a CFf I plan on running on avgas so probably just go with that.
    any opinion on the 91 octane fuel?

Default Traxstar test day

Got the traxstar out for a test day a couple weeks ago at Nelson ledges. Had a few issues
    but all and all a good shake down. Didn’t try the Pingel shifter and was a bit surprised
    at the amount of effort required the shift manually. Linkage appears to be in good condition but will go over it .
    was having some trouble with down shifts. I may have been letting the revs drop to low and simply be driver error
    hope to get the Pingel working next time out.
    fun car to drive! Looking forward to more seat time in it.

Default Nelson ledges

Pic from nelson. Great to be back at the track as it is where it all started for me.
    last time I turned a lap there was a WERA motorcycle race in 1994!

Name:	CC65CE94-6BD5-484E-9CE2-6AE199C516EA.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	86261  

Liked: 85

Default Sports racer.

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    Pic from nelson. Great to be back at the track as it is where it all started for me.
    last time I turned a lap there was a WERA motorcycle race in 1994!
    Now you should 'bring it home' to Mission Raceway Park (Canada) for a race!

Thread Information