Liked: 7

Default PreMix oil coming out air filter

Hi All,
    I think I know the answer to this but I want to make sure something isn't wrong.
    I recently started using Redline 2-stroke racing oil adding 7.5 oz to 6 gallons of gas per Drummond recs.
    I believe that some of the pre mix oil is separating and ending up in the air filter to the point where it is collecting on top of the motor mainly on the intake side.
    Is this normal?
    Is my air filter going to have a short life under these conditions?

TIA

Liked: 11

I see the same thing, I think it's normal.

clean and oil the K&N from time to time.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Terrenzio View Post
    I see the same thing, I think it's normal.

clean and oil the K&N from time to time.
    Thanks. I emailed Drummond who said this is somewhat normal as well.
    Looking at the oil that is on top of my motor, it is fairly clear, so it makes sense that it is separating from the oil/gas mix and not from the sump.
    '95 FM Red the "Formula Meowzda"

Liked: 12

I Had that on my car as well. Its not that its separating, the gas is evaporating away leaving the oil. This is a big carb and the idle is super rich, so there tends to be a little gas/oil that comes out the side draft carb, rather than just dripping into the engine to be burned like a typical down draft.

Sorry, that was long for "its normal, just clean at the end of the day"

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

The carburetor spits quite a bit when you blip the throttle (such as downshifting), what you're seeing is a mix of 2-cycle oil, gasoline, & the air filter oil.

I have found that the K&N's clog up & have to get replaced once in a while, but the 2-cycle oil has nothing to do with it.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thread Information