Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default 97 VD CFC Version 2?

Shopping around for a Continental and one fellow says he has a Version 2 model. What's the diff?. I'm 5"11 and 190#. Will I fit OK?

Someone told me a 96 was a monoshck and a bear to get right, is he correct?. I'm 68 yo and going to do Vintage mainly and maybe a guest appearance in the GLC.

Advice appreciated.......

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

97 might not be vintage in some clubs eyes....

This certainly qualifies and is a great well sorted car.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...F2000-for-sale

Liked: 121

Dunno what a ''version 2' is but the 97 fc car had the smallest cockpit area of most all the Van diemens. You might be a bit more snug than you would prefer to actually be comfortable in the car. Also as noted, may not be vintage eligible. The 93 car linked to would be a better choice for both of those issues and appears to be a very nice car. For what it is worth, I have a 91 Van diemen fc that I will be selling soon and am perhaps a bit more motivated to sell!

Liked: 482

Like you I got into FC to primarily run vintage and regional CFC. So I researched some. 1995 is generally your cutoff and although clubs like SVRA haven’t really said it, yet, Pinto is the “vintage” engine. So if you stay inside those bounds, you should be okay. As for what VD, I have no idea. There was a really nice Reynard for sale in MI recently...

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

96s are very capable and not that hard to "Get Right."

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    97 might not be vintage in some clubs eyes....

This certainly qualifies and is a great well sorted car.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...F2000-for-sale
    In the largest and IMO , the best nationwide vintage organization, SVRA, the 97 is eligible, as long as Pinto. I am taking delivery of a 98 soon, and can take it and my CF, and run two groups in the same weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    Shopping around for a Continental and one fellow says he has a Version 2 model. What's the diff?. I'm 5"11 and 190#. Will I fit OK?

Someone told me a 96 was a monoshck and a bear to get right, is he correct?. I'm 68 yo and going to do Vintage mainly and maybe a guest appearance in the GLC.

Post deleted, duplicate.

Liked: 482

Default Cfc

Marshall is right but if you want to run CFC, needs to be ‘95 or older in GLCS.

If you are in Michigan reach out to Keith Averill. He runs the GLC, knows every car in the area and can probably help you find one that you are comfortable in and enjoy driving.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

If you’re interested in GLC, I’d say take the plunge! We have a great group.

As for fitment, I’ve also not heard of a series 2, the chassis tag does read RF97-2 on mine. Perhaps he took that as a series number?

if you’re interested in sitting in a car to see if you fit, I’d be happy to let you try ours on.

We also have a 94, 96, and 98 for comparison.

Cheers,

Cade
    Wrenchaholics.com
    916-612-7692 c
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
    If you’re interested in GLC, I’d say take the plunge! We have a great group.

As for fitment, I’ve also not heard of a series 2, the chassis tag does read RF97-2 on mine. Perhaps he took that as a series number?

if you’re interested in sitting in a car to see if you fit, I’d be happy to let you try ours on.

We also have a 94, 96, and 98 for comparison.

Cheers,

Cade
    Wrenchaholics.com
    916-612-7692 c
    I hate you Cade, lol.
    Jealous hate! 4 FCs? I am in awe.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

I think it means the chassis was originally a 2 liter.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 254

There are a few FC/CFCs in the metro Detroit area for sale listed publicly and privately so options are out there. Come join us in the GLC!

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 126

To my recollection, the RF97-2 was a somewhat larger cockpit area than RF97-1.

How big is FC in Michigan? I started a new job in Sterling Heights two weeks ago and am now looking for new home (and maybe another FC shortly thereafter).

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 254

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post

How big is FC in Michigan? I started a new job in Sterling Heights two weeks ago and am now looking for new home (and maybe another FC shortly thereafter).
    Welcome to town! Locally FC/CFC is arguably the strongest open wheel class. If you're working in Sterling Heights there's a good indoor kart track close by; Kart2Kart.

My notes - I think they can be found elsewhere on Apex say:

Same 1994 chassis with 100” wheelbase and some bodywork changes that followed along the basis style of the 1995 side pod car. The car used the same nose box as the 1996 car. The front mono-shock was changed back to twin-shock design. Forty-eight (48) cars of this model sold.
    Complete chassis, suspension, and bodywork redesign with the inclusion of bottom motor mounts on the chassis (none of the previous versions had this). This was the first year of the more modern looking Van Dieman that is sold today. Some upright components (mainly on the rear of the car) from 1997 were carried over to the 1998 car but basically this is an all new car design. All cars from this point on through 2005 used the same basic chassis and bodywork template with some year-to-year variations. Forty-nine (49) cars of this model sold in 1998.
    The car uses the same basic chassis as the 1998 car with the exception that the chassis cockpit was widened by 2” as the 1998 car proved to be a tight fit for many drivers. The bodywork was redesigned and significantly developed for improved aerodynamics. The new aerodynamics being design by Steve Nichols who had also been involved in car design for race teams such as McLaren, Jaguar, and Ferrari. Forty-one (41) of these 1999 version cars sold.
    So my conclusion is the 97 was as wide as 96 and prior. 98 was the narrow one. So if the progression is correct a late 97 might be narrow like a 98.

I don't think VD used any version numbers on any other years and this is the first I've heard of a V2. But it was a time of change so who knows.

But I've seen a lot of models IDs with a -2 meaning originally a 2L.

I ran a RF96 for a few years, and that cockpit was definitely wider than my RF93. It's also wider than all the RF-97's I got in.

Thanks for all the welcomes to SE Michigan.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    I hate you Cade, lol.
    Jealous hate! 4 FCs? I am in awe.
    Well - yeah, sometimes I step back and go "holy cow, how did this happen?"... but it's my little (and growing!) business. I figure the regional racers and the middle class are somewhat left out when it comes to support for arrive and drive. We're trying to help grow FC back up, and starting to do some prep shop work as well.

Also hoping to reach out and get more of the young racers coming over from HPDE to think about open wheel as the best option.
    www.wrenchaholics.com

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

If there is a smaller cockpit out there than my 97, I'd be amazed! The 97 is a really pretty car, especially cool from rear view. It's almost impossibly narrow. Kinda surreal to watch it drive away to the grid. Stiletto-like.

FC is definitely our largest open wheel class, especially regionally. GLC events are bringing an average of 15 cars out now - and we've been missing about 5 of our regulars from previous seasons this year.

Welcome to MI! I'm a relatively recent transplant, too - and so far I love my new home.
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    My notes - I think they can be found elsewhere on Apex say:

So my conclusion is the 97 was as wide as 96 and prior. 98 was the narrow one. So if the progression is correct a late 97 might be narrow like a 98.

I don't think VD used any version numbers on any other years and this is the first I've heard of a V2. But it was a time of change so who knows.

But I've seen a lot of models IDs with a -2 meaning originally a 2L.
    I think you're probably right about the -2 meaning 2L. Van Diemen was making lots of FF chassis as well.

My take on the sizing - 93-96 are all large enough to fit drivers of my size (and even some larger drivers). I'm 6'2 and 215, carried pretty evenly - no pot belly yet. I can 'squeeze' into the 97 but cannot operate the controls effectively to attempt racing it. I also cannot get my helmet below the broomstick test. The 98 goes to a more modern chassis layout, but it is a touch narrower than the later 99-20xx cars. Mostly this is in the shoulders. I had a very tough time getting the seat right to drive the 98, and I still get bad bruises on the tops of my shoulders when I drive it. It's a more laid back seating position.

My 94 and 96 are much more comfortable for me to drive. I'll be returning to my 96 next year, with the Quicksilver long rod updates to the engine, and will see if that puts the pinto competitive with the zetecs again. I'm optimistic - but my 98 is FAST, and we proved at Pitt that we can run with and challenge nationally competitive drivers - we (Bill Wise driving) were less than a tenth off the track record set the previous day, and more than a second faster than the track record set the year prior. So the 96 has some development time needed to get there.
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Well - yeah, sometimes I step back and go "holy cow, how did this happen?"... but it's my little (and growing!) business. I figure the regional racers and the middle class are somewhat left out when it comes to support for arrive and drive. We're trying to help grow FC back up, and starting to do some prep shop work as well.

Also hoping to reach out and get more of the young racers coming over from HPDE to think about open wheel as the best option.
    Doing the same out here in AZ. Big Pinto resurgance (sp) . Growing interest, I think because a lot of us have been in CF on treads for so long, we want to go faster, but not have to spend pro level money. It does cost a percentage more on tires and bent wings, but no better way to enjoy more speed for the money. Engine costs, entry fees, fuel, etc about the same.

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 73

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post

5'10" 195 lbs and I fit perfect in 1991 VD FC. FYI
    (Have not ever driven any VD newer than '91, but I REALLY like my '91)

Aaron

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Consider a Citation pre 95 if you want to go CFC in GLD and Vintage. You should have a ton of room 96' 215" and thumb sucking tight fit in a 900. Plus you will not find a safer better supported car and it is made in Indy.

For "wide shouldered" guys, some of the older cars have been modified over the years as well. My '93 VD has had the diagonal support bars at the shoulders widened by a previous owner, sure makes getting the belts on by yourself a whole lot easier
    TroyT - SFR SCCA, VARA, CSRG, SVRA
    www.ThingsThatGoVroom.net
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

Liked: 89

I test-sat a 97VD before I bought my 95VD and found it significantly harder to get out of. I would also consider a 95 or older car so you can race in CFC. CFC in the GLC is growing pretty rapidly right now, mostly all VD and Reynards. Lots of well prepared race cars and solid drivers.

36. The following 2 users liked this post:

So time to find another RF93!

TroyT - SFR SCCA, VARA, CSRG, SVRA
    www.ThingsThatGoVroom.net
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

39. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information