Liked: 8

Default lola f3000 b99 advice

Hi all.
    I'm considering the purchase of a lola b99 (rolling chasis) in Europe. I believe is in good price.
    This would be a big step for me as im coming from a biked engine single seater similar to f1000

I would like to get some advice from those that knows these cars.

One of my major concerns is the engine, it was running with zytek V8, however this engine is really powerful and expensive.
    I would be happy with something above 300hp.
    I know that other engines can be used renault V6, nissan AER V6, but how to fit it in no clue, also I could not find any on market.

The best solution would be to find a suitable V6 engine from street car, that fits with chassis and gearbox, moreover i can have a service manual and do service by myself.

My idea is to be independent at the time of maintain the car. i cant spend 6K to rebuild engine in a workshop.

Does anybody here have experience on these cars ??
    Last edited by rodorico83; 11.07.21 at 7:17 PM.

Liked: 530

two years ago I had almost the same questions.. was looking at a roller and wondering if I could put an LS engine in it. That started long conversations over two years with a fine gentleman who hot rodded a '91 Lola T91/50. He put a Buick Indy Lights V6 in it. Makes between 400-450hp. I'm stepping up from Pro Formula Mazda.

What I have learned over the last two years is that it is not trivial but not impossible. Helps if you have some engineering know-how and obviously good mechanical skills. Like you, I plan to maintain the car mostly by myself with some outside help when I am not equipped to deal with it. I have an automotive engineering background.

You made comment that you aren't prepared or able to do $6K engine rebuilds. Your best bet is probably going to be Formula Holden then which used the production Buick 3.8L - you know the one that GM made 2,000,000 of for passenger cars. Still a lot of wrenching to do but probably no more than F1000.

Formula Holden, if you aren't familiar, sent F3000 cars out of Europe to Australia where they converted from the exotic 3.0L v8's to the "affordable" Buick v6 3.8L at around 400hp.

You also seemed to indicate 300hp would be acceptable. Strongly suggest PFM then. It's close to that, more modern chassis, can still buy parts online and the pro series just switched to a new chassis so the 2004 spec cars are nearly a dime a dozen at the moment. By far the most value currently for the performance and technology. And nearly bulletproof, running the Renesis Rx8 rotary and Hewland FTR.

Liked: 1403

You might see if there are any similarities between the Lola chassis you are looking at and the Lola chassis that were used for Indy Lights. If so, you might be able to use the GM V6 (Buick in particular) and the parts that were made for that engine.

There were 2 Lola models that were used. The T97 was the last model and a earlier model Lola.

Liked: 141

I don't know what gearbox is in the Lola but the engine would seem simple to finding a one off ring and pinion for a custom box. $$$

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    two years ago I had almost the same questions.. was looking at a roller and wondering if I could put an LS engine in it. That started long conversations over two years with a fine gentleman who hot rodded a '91 Lola T91/50. He put a Buick Indy Lights V6 in it. Makes between 400-450hp. I'm stepping up from Pro Formula Mazda.

What I have learned over the last two years is that it is not trivial but not impossible. Helps if you have some engineering know-how and obviously good mechanical skills. Like you, I plan to maintain the car mostly by myself with some outside help when I am not equipped to deal with it. I have an automotive engineering background.

You made comment that you aren't prepared or able to do $6K engine rebuilds. Your best bet is probably going to be Formula Holden then which used the production Buick 3.8L - you know the one that GM made 2,000,000 of for passenger cars. Still a lot of wrenching to do but probably no more than F1000.

Formula Holden, if you aren't familiar, sent F3000 cars out of Europe to Australia where they converted from the exotic 3.0L v8's to the "affordable" Buick v6 3.8L at around 400hp.

You also seemed to indicate 300hp would be acceptable. Strongly suggest PFM then. It's close to that, more modern chassis, can still buy parts online and the pro series just switched to a new chassis so the 2004 spec cars are nearly a dime a dozen at the moment. By far the most value currently for the performance and technology. And nearly bulletproof, running the Renesis Rx8 rotary and Hewland FTR.
    Thanks for your reply Mikey.
    The point is that i'm considering buying this car, cos is a great price. But I'm not really looking for it. The problem with the cars you mention is that are difficult to find in Europe, same for the engines.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Contact Derek Harling at derek@lola7.com. He put a Pontiac (IIRC) into a Lola F3000 chassis quite successfully, doing all of his own machine work. Still actively races it. He's in Ontario, Canada.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    You might see if there are any similarities between the Lola chassis you are looking at and the Lola chassis that were used for Indy Lights. If so, you might be able to use the GM V6 (Buick in particular) and the parts that were made for that engine.

There were 2 Lola models that were used. The T97 was the last model and a earlier model Lola.
    looking on it ... but i can even find one for sale.
    the original is the 3800 and modified to 4.2 for this car, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Contact Derek Harling at derek@lola7.com. He put a Pontiac (IIRC) into a Lola F3000 chassis quite successfully, doing all of his own machine work. Still actively races it. He's in Ontario, Canada.
    Thank Charles. I will do.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

I'll PM his phone.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by rodorico83 View Post
    looking on it ... but i can even find one for sale.
    the original is the 3800 and modified to 4.2 for this car, right ?
    The T97 had the 4.2 90 deg. V6 engine. It was a common GM engine at the time. As I understood it, the engine was the same as a small block V* with 2 cylinders removed.

Liked: 23

Default 4.3 litre engine

GM had a 4.3 litre engine which was used in many small S/T trucks and 1/2 ton Chevy and GMC trucks. The early ones did not have a balance shaft and the later ones did. They were a same as a V8 small block 350 CI with two cylinders removed so con rods, pistons and valve mechanism were the same as V8, as well as some ancillary items, front cover, timing chain, etc.

Liked: 141

What you need is not the 3/4 of a V8 - ie. production version of the GM Buick V6
    - so don't even consider the Holden version even though the Aussies did a fine job
    of racifying it.

What you need is the so-called Stage II version
    - still 90 degree V6 cast iron
    - 4100/4300 cc
    - on center (crank-rods-cylinders)
    - even fire (different crank angles).

These were mainly drag race engines (with turbo) but hundreds were used in NASCAR
    (NA 4bbl) and dozens in Indy Lights and IMSA (NA individual stacks FI). The latter two used
    Cosworth type belt driven oil and water pumps (same as DFVs). Also gear (not chain)
    timing gears. Oiling system significantly different both in delivery and drainage, dry sump of
    course, mechanical roller lifters wit poitive oil feed, positive exterior feed to rocker shafts etc
    etc. Ohio George (Montgomery) still has a floor full of new engines (ex Indy Lights).

Cast iron block is of course much heavier than any F3000 engine but (1) TA Performance in
    Scottsdale now makes new aluminum blocks and (2) the weight was never a problem in my own car.

BHP output is similar to an F3000 DFV but much more torque = happy driver.

I had a 1991 Lola T9150 and installed a Brayton version of the above ILights/IMSA engine. No
    problem - just needed to buy a lathe and a mill and make a 'surface table'. I even added an electric
    starter motor - not normally possible in these conversions.
    Meter reader walked past my open garage door -
    "Oh - a Kit Car"
    "No - Kit Cars come with instructions"

All (almost all?) modern cars use similar engine-to-tub installations but there is zero parts commonality
    on any Lola F3000 or Indy Lights. Overall Lola F3000s and Indy Lights cars are not really similar at all
    - basic layouts are comparable of course but Indy Lights are limousines by comparison.

Derek
    Last edited by dereklola; 08.27.18 at 10:15 PM.

Hello guys.
    Engine found.
    Nissan v6 based on vq35 prepared by Solution F and used in the Renault world series.
    dry sumped, ~ 430 hp, 8.5 k revs, 145kg
    Shares same front cover as the Nissan EAR p25 which i know that has been fited in at least lola t96
    Anybody knows if pedals can be moved forward easily on this car ?

Thread Information