Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cheating

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

When people take their 5th amendment rights, most other people assume guilt.
    When an accused does not testify in his own defense, most other people assume guilt.
    When a politician refuses to release his financial records, most other people assume guilt.
    There are many situations in life where people are assumed guilty by their actions or inactions, although never actually proven.

There are some situations in racing that are similar, such as:
    Refusing to allow a teardown.
    Making illegal parts that have the same part number as legal parts.
    Both will be considered admissions of wrong doing by 98% of the community.
    The other 2% are probably friends and family who will believe in the integrity of those challenged.

Pleading innocence in these situations, only serves to put a name and face on the people involved, and probably convinces more people of guilt than of innocence. The way for this to "go away" is to accept public perception, and stop digging the hole. It may take years or decades to fill in, but that will happen naturally over time. Putting down the shovel is the starting point.

BTW ..... I am not opening up PMs on this topic, just as I don't when SCCA politicians PM me with private explanations.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 103

[QUOTE=problemchild;583677]When people take their 5th amendment rights, most other people assume guilt.
    When an accused does not testify in his own defense, most other people assume guilt.
    When a politician refuses to release his financial records, most other people assume guilt.
    There are many situations in life where people are assumed guilty by their actions or inactions, although never actually proven.

There are some situations in racing that are similar, such as:
    Refusing to allow a teardown.
    Making illegal parts that have the same part number as legal parts.
    Both will be considered admissions of wrong doing by 98% of the community.
    The other 2% are probably friends and family who will believe in the integrity of those challenged.

Pleading innocence in these situations, only serves to put a name and face on the people involved, and probably convinces more people of guilt than of innocence. The way for this to "go away" is to accept public perception, and stop digging the hole. It may take years or decades to fill in, but that will happen naturally over time. Putting down the shovel is the starting point.

You took the words right out of my mouth.....

If someone comes in and immediately gets faster in a car that it is really not supposed to happen, no matter how legal it is, expect to have some people say they are cheating....THIS IS THE NATURE OF THE BEAST It will never change. Deal with it. It has been this way since people started camel racing 2000 years ago........I suggest that you, in advance, find a way to show/inform what makes you faster, at least privately to Tech inspection. ........

And if you feel you had a legitimate reason to refuse a teardown.....that is fine.....but MAKE SURE that teardown somehow does happen to exonerate everyone. FIND A WAY. MAKE IT WORK. If you don't like who was going to tow your car to the offsite teardown location, THEN FIND SOMEONE YOU LIKE...If you wanted the teardown to be performed at the track and it does not happen, FIND A PLACE WHERE IT CAN BE DONE to the satisfaction OF ALL PARTIES.......It's called NEGOTIATION.

This is just Formula Ford. It is not Indy or F1. All we race for are plastic trophies and cheap champagne.

If you walk away in a huff without clearing your name...well guess what Sherlock......people are going to be MORE INCLINED to say you are a cheater. And don't cry crocodile tears when they do.
    Last edited by Bill Manofsky; 05.28.19 at 11:44 AM.
    1980 Lola T540E Club Ford
    1975 Lola T342 Club Ford

4. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

From the outside looking in...

If anyone eluded to my being a cheater or a liar, I'd defend myself.

If anyone thought that defense was appearing as "guilty," regardless of associated details, I don't know how I'd handle it.

I find taking people at their word to be profoundly more powerful, and a much better way to live.

But that's just me.

Liked: 44

The lady doth protest too much, methinks", Act III, Scene II, Hamlet, by William Shakespeare.

Liked: 1108

Pictured Shakespeare as more of a Bugeye guy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information