Thread: Tilton starter

Liked: 1

Default Tilton starter

I need to replace the starter on my RP31. I read one review that the Tilton XLT starter doesn't stand up to the vibrations of the Kent engine. Anyone have an opinion on the XLT vs original Superstarter (which is supposed to be sturdier).? Thanks

Liked: 492

Default starter

Neither starter has proved reliable in my experience. Several years ago I got an XLT and it started the engine 3 times before it failed. I called the supplier I bought it from and he told me to send it back. 15 minutes later he called back and said that Tilton stated it was a racing part and there was no warranty. Maybe their quality has improved and /or their policies have changed. Obviously I have not bought a Tilton starter since that time. Mark Bushman 630-279-8834 has made top quality starters that I have used whenever I could fit one. I have also used Tom Colby 818-898-9151.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    Neither starter has proved reliable in my experience. Several years ago I got an XLT and it started the engine 3 times before it failed. I called the supplier I bought it from and he told me to send it back. 15 minutes later he called back and said that Tilton stated it was a racing part and there was no warranty. Maybe their quality has improved and /or their policies have changed. Obviously I have not bought a Tilton starter since that time. Mark Bushman 630-279-8834 has made top quality starters that I have used whenever I could fit one. I have also used Tom Colby 818-898-9151.
    Thanks Roland, its Jeff Rothman here. Maybe I already have one of theirs. Mine kind of looks like a Tilton but it has what appears to be a custom made face plate. My solenoid fails to engage the engine when hot and I thought I could just change it out, but not knowing what brand of starter I have, I didn't know which solenoid to get. when I look on the Tilton site, my solenoid has the exact same actuating arm and spring as a Tilton but the starter is aluminum colored, not gold like a Tilton. I have never had any problems with the starter, just the Solenoid. Any suggestions? Are you bring some cars to Portland in September? Take care

Liked: 947

+1 for Mark Bushman's starters. They live a long time with the Kent vibrator.

I have not had much reliability from a Tilton starter. Went through several pinions and a solenoid. Bolted the Bushman starter in, starts every time.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 313

If you're looking for a Mark Bushman starter, I have one I'd sell. Used a couple seasons but works fine. If I recall, it was expensive but bullet proof.
    $200 shipping included to 48 states.
    Private message me here at Apex if you're interested.

Default starter

Didn't know that was you Jeff. Post or send me a pix of your installed starter. If you have the room for a Bushman starter, get one. They have been the most trouble free starters I have ever used. And Mark is a stand up guy who stands behind his product!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Didn't know that was you Jeff. Post or send me a pix of your installed starter. If you have the room for a Bushman starter, get one. They have been the most trouble free starters I have ever used. And Mark is a stand up guy who stands behind his product!
    Thanks Roland. I have the starter in my car right now and will send a picture. Maybe you can tell me what it is. Otherwise I'll get the Bushman.

Jeff, what you have appears to be a knock off Tilton copy. The starters were commonly used in Datsuns/Nissans You can have it rebuilt at any good auto electric shop. I am not sure if there are any really good solenoids out there anymore. A lot were made in China, etc and they were not reliable in a FF. The Bushman starter is a bit bulkier and may or may not fit. How close are the chassis/shifter tubes to the starter location?
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

I'll check when I get home and send you a picture. Spent today playing "scopem"!

Liked: 313

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I got three replies concerning my Bushman.

I think the right thing to do is sell to iscopem if it fits his car, then pru as he was next to reply by private message.

I'll post pictures here. I have a RP-21 and the Bushman does NOT fit. I don't know how similar a RP-31 is. If I sell it, I don't want to get in the business of reselling and shipping if it doesn't fit your car, so please check as best you can.

If I remember correctly, Bushman starters are based on a NipponDenso design. The only starter that fits my car is the Lucas and the Tilton XLT which is based on a Hitachi 9100 series.

Does mark Bushman also do a Hitachi 9100?

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 947

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post
    Does mark Bushman also do a Hitachi 9100?
    I believe he does. He pots the solenoid wires, gets mechanical issues resolved and makes them work well. Well worth the money.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Default Bushman starter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post
    If you're looking for a Mark Bushman starter, I have one I'd sell. Used a couple seasons but works fine. If I recall, it was expensive but bullet proof.
    $200 shipping included to 48 states.
    Private message me here at Apex if you're interested.
    thanks Dave - I am having trouble sending you a PM...maybe I haven't posted enough. I am interested in the starter. Please email me at iscopem@gmail.com
    Jeff

Thread Information