Liked: 0

Default Reynard F 2000 chassis, now what do I do with it?

Hi, first post here. I'm pretty sure it's a Reynard R/T 2000, Chrysler 2.0, Ricardo 5 spd. sequential, one of the leftovers from Barber. I was looking for any kind of fairly recent formula chassis to play with. I have designed several options that could utilize such a chassis. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

1. I imagine as a track car it would only be good for an open class, autox, hill climb, track days, etc.? If parts are available I imagine it would still be easier to acquire a more complete used starter car? I have no idea how available parts cars/parts are.

2. I'm not familiar with Georgia's laws (no title, chassis, etc.) for a street car but would like to look into whether I could develop it as a street legal/track days car. I have about five design options, most with a windshield and roof and quite different from each other. If I can't legalize it I'm prepared to just use it for chassis practice or just keep it around the garage. I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks, Barry

edit; cursory inspection suggests the chassis to be straight, all welds appear original.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hasbro; 07.24.18 at 2:32 PM.

Liked: 211

Proper race cars do not make for good road cars. Ride hieght too low to clear even minor bumps, manhole covers, driveway aprons etc. And you will sit too low for other cars to see you. Very dangerous. I would not even consider this as an option.

Not sure about spares for your car. Generally speaking school cars share very little with their race car brothers built for competition

Enjoy the car as a track day toy. You can't go faster for less money. It does not fit into any existing classes but can always be run as FS if you want to go racing
    Last edited by LenFC11; 07.24.18 at 7:17 PM.
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Do you have the engine/gearbox/suspension?

If NO it looks like a good simulator project.

Liked: 757

I think these cars were built by Crossle originally rather than Reynard.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LenFC11 View Post
    Proper race cars do not make for good road cars. Ride hieght too low to clear even minor bumps, manhole covers, driveway aprons etc. And you will sit too low for other cars to see you. Very dangerous. I would not even consider this as an option.

Not sure about spares for your car. Generally speaking school cars share very little with their race car brothers built for competition

Enjoy the car as a track day toy. You can't go faster for less money. It does not fit into any existing classes but can always be run as FS if you want to go racing
    Thanks, a track day car would be my first choice although I'm somewhat skeptical about making that happen if the parts are unobtanium.

If I did a road car a lot would be changed. The height would change in the form of tires, suspension geometry, seat height, etc. the upper tubes would be completely reconfigured, etc. The roll bar/roof line would be 48". Ground clearance approximately 5". Unless I built a Light Car Company Rocket wannabe it wouldn't even suggest the appearance of a formula car.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Do you have the engine/gearbox/suspension?
    If NO it looks like a good simulator project.
    Nothing but the chassis. which is why I'm considering it for other than it was originally intended. Unless I wound up with two or three parts cars to build a complete runner. You know how that goes. I'm hoping to find a couple of parts cars... There were several during the Barber auction but I wasn't able to get involved at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    I think these cars were built by Crossle originally rather than Reynard.
    That's what I originally thought but can't find one that matches. I was told that there may have been two separate manufacturers, The body and chassis matches the Reynard and I can't find a Crossle with a Neon 2.0. Could they have contracted the two builders to build identical cars?

www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/skip-barber-formula-2000-ar81007.html

Liked: 601

Default Barber car

I'd put my money on Crossle as the builder.
    Who ever it is, it's a one-off (very-low production) project.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Ok, I'll keep looking. Are there any other forums/web sites where I might inquire?

Also, since it is a low production car in a limited genre of the sport, would changing it in the ways I've mentioned be the wrong thing to do? I've had a lot of cars that I would not customise such as Lotus, Elva, Ginetta, etc. Not sure but I didn't think it mattered with a "trainer" formula car. If I were to change the chassis there wouldn't be any going back. Any views on this?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

If you decide you want to rebuild it into something close to its original configuration, I've got a Ricardo box from Skip Barber...

This thread is very old. But I’ll post anyway. What you have is a B1, that received updates to make it an RT2000 build by Skip Barber for the school and the race series. Send me the chassis number and I can tell you the year it was made. These were loosely based off of the Crossley 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar92 View Post
    This thread is very old. But I’ll post anyway. What you have is a B1, that received updates to make it an RT2000 build by Skip Barber for the school and the race series. Send me the chassis number and I can tell you the year it was made. These were loosely based off of the Crossley 35.
    Thanks Mopar92, I'll get the number to you. It's a bit on the backburner as so many projects can become but I still would like to "Light Car Company Rocket" it.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
    Thanks Mopar92, I'll get the number to you. It's a bit on the backburner as so many projects can become but I still would like to "Light Car Company Rocket" it.
    And since this has been resurrected, I've got a bellhousing/gearbox combo that I bought from the Skip Barber auction that I think probably came off one of those that I'm looking to sell.

Liked: 6

Default Crossle or Mondial

I bought one of these as well. The front suspension was modeled or taken from a Crossle 50/55 pull rod setup. The rear was outboard and Crossle 30, 32, 35, 40 or 45. You can have the front suspension and brake setup as I don't need them. Some parts are not exactly pristine. A great chassis if you wish to "road warrior" your way to the front.

I bought it for the rear uprights and steering rack, not bad for $400. An extra was the fuel cell.
    Tuck

16. The following members LIKED this post:

So, there might be access to enough parts to cobble together and be able to at least track day? Is this a feasable endeavor?

I'm currently looking at an 80s Reynard 1600 for SCCA Club use but I would also love to make the Crossle trackable.

Thread Information