Liked: 2

Default What safety belts do you use?

I need new harness/belts in my car and am curious what you've found to work. I just bought a set of G-Force pull-downs from Summit and they're *way* too big for a small formula car. Thoughts?

(thanks)

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by Frank06 View Post
    I need new harness/belts in my car and am curious what you've found to work. I just bought a set of G-Force pull-downs from Summit and they're *way* too big for a small formula car. Thoughts?

(thanks)
    I have a set of Willans that are very very nice. Now, I haven’t raced with them yet but I’ve been in and out of the car literally dozens of times in the past two weeks getting the cockpit set with all my gear on.

That said, I will seriously consider Crow when I need a new set for the following reasons:
    I understand they reweb existing sets for a reasonable cost
    They are reasonably priced from the get go
    They will build you just about whatever you want if you call
    US company

Liked: 133

I like the Schroth Hybrid. The 2" lap belts are pull-up so I can tighten them after I get belted in. Since I do not have a crew, it makes a huge difference for me. I like that a lot better than the fixed lap belt. Shoulder are the Hans 2" as well.

EDIT - I just noticed that the Hybrid has been discontinued.
    Last edited by Farrout48; 07.21.18 at 8:10 PM.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for your replies. A friend gave me a 10+ year old set of Willans and they are indeed very nice, just pricey. I hadn't heard of Crow and will look into both those and Schroth.

Liked: 553

Last year when I needed to update I spent some time looking at different sets here:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/moto...y/recommended/

I ended up getting a set of Sabelts and I'm happy with them, and the price was very reasonable.

I have had Willans and TRW in the past and they were nice, too.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 947

Default Omp

Have a look at OMP. They make a bolt in set with pull up lap belts and 2" HANS shoulder belts. The adjusters and buckle work really well.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Bot Sabelt from Primus last year. I like them better. Different buckle up procedure. the main buckle is on a lap belt instead of the shoulder so you're not flinging the buckle out of the cockpit and bashing it against the side of the car.

Liked: 208

Default Sabelt

About to replace my harness. I have used Willans, Sabelt and OMP in the past. Going with Sabelt this time around because I like the adjustable lap belt.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

You guys are giving me lots of options, thanks.

Liked: 610

Default Replacement Belts

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    About to replace my harness. I have used Willans, Sabelt and OMP in the past. Going with Sabelt this time around because I like the adjustable lap belt.
    Most single seaters I have seen don't have room for lap adjusters or they ride on your hips.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 133

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Most single seaters I have seen don't have room for lap adjusters or they ride on your hips.
    In my Stohr WF1, there is ample room such that I have SpeedSeat material on the sides of my hips . I did have to carve out a pocket for the lap adjusters because my hips were compressing them into the seat sides. After opening up the pocket, I did not have any further lap adjuster binding issues.

I also used the pull up lap belts in the Euroswift FF I had. A bit tighter but the belts worked well in that car.

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by Frank06 View Post
    You guys are giving me lots of options, thanks.
    You know, a lot of local club guys have their just outdated lying around you could borrow and try to see what you like.
    I’ll send you mine if you want to pay shipping but I bet you could find some around you free.

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I have a set of Willans that are very very nice. Now, I haven’t raced with them yet but I’ve been in and out of the car literally dozens of times in the past two weeks getting the cockpit set with all my gear on.

That said, I will seriously consider Crow when I need a new set for the following reasons:
    I understand they reweb existing sets for a reasonable cost
    They are reasonably priced from the get go
    They will build you just about whatever you want if you call
    US company

Crow does indeed recertify. I had mine done at the beginning of this season. For info, check here: http://www.crowenterprizes.com/pages/Recert.html

There is a PDF there with the process, options, and prices. $70 for formula belts and that is what I paid. Came back in perfect order. I had them cut off some of the excess as the original was a bit too long. Very easy to work with the folks there. Best part for me is they are within 10 miles of my house so no shipping.

I will happily continue on with Crow from my experience.

Eric Little

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    You know, a lot of local club guys have their just outdated lying around you could borrow and try to see what you like.
    I’ll send you mine if you want to pay shipping but I bet you could find some around you free.
    Thanks for the offer but I've actually just tried an old set of Willans I stumbled onto locally. Getting actual measurements will help tremendously.

Thread Information