Thread: U-Hall Security

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default U-Hall Security

Gents;

I am finally getting ready to move my shop from Brainerd to Destin, and was thinking about security. We are getting a 20’ truck that will contain considerable value in both shop and household items. We will be stopping at least four times enroute to visit with family

It’s getting crazier out there every day, and I have learned that trust is a hard thing to find. Any ideas for truck and rear door security while we lodge?

V/r

Iverson

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Stop early. Park at the front door. Perhaps travel insurance is available ?
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 947

Geosky Alert

Sends a text to your cell phone. Install in the truck, alarm the door. When you get to FL, install it in your race trailer. Door alarms, plus GPS position tracking. You'll know within 60 seconds if someone has opened the back door or or stolen the truck.

https://www.geoskyalert.com/index.php
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 212

I have always tried to park where rear trailer door is up against something so thieves can't get into.

Use wheel locks to prevent moving of vehicle
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

Having just finished my 8th cross country move with trucks and trailers, first thing is buy a good lock - the circular type or the ones from master that are designed with a shank that's hard to cut.

If you are traveling with more than one vehicle, then parking so as to restrict access to the doors is helpful - but it's hard to find places with such parking. Arrive during daylight hours so you get a better lay of the land. Try to park where there's light and camera coverage.

Avoid staying in big metro areas. In smaller communities the cops know all the miscreants. I use RVTripwizard ($40/yr subscription) coupled with roadtrippers (free) to set daily mileage goals, find lodging, and scope the lodging out for access. TripWizard has the ability to calculate range based on fuel mileage, tank size, and reserve, but all it has for lodging in it's database are campgrounds. roadtrippers gives you the hotels but you need Tripwizard for the satellite view. I bounce back and forth in two windows.

Most modern vehicles are completely computer controlled, so just look in the fuse box for the main relay or a critical fuse and pull it every night.

Penske Trucks have a lot more cubic feet than U-Haul trucks, and a wooden floor you can screw cribbing to if you are sly about it. A lot of that cube is vertical though. I built a 8 x 8 foot deck 5.5 ft high in my last one and used the deck to carry lighter stuff with heavier stuff underneath, and the big stuff in the back. U-hauls do not have a flat floor - they give that up to get lower load-in height. My last Penske had air suspension and brakes, and you could dump the suspension and lose about 6" of load height.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 130

I'll reiterate it a third time. Back the door up to a building if possible or another truck so access to the rear door is not very possible. And disable the truck, by pulling a large relay out of the fuse box. At work we use u-haul quite a bit and leave trucks full of bikes and never had a problem when doing it that way. Good Luck!

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Gents;

We are going with Penske, and they have an installed GPS. Anyone know of an iPhone app or motion device that will alert another iPhone if motion is sensed?

Across the back of the truck will be an Ingersol-Rand industrial compressor and my Miller TIG, esentially blocking moveable contents.

V/r

Iverson

Thread Information