Liked: 208

Default Girling 14LF rebuild question

I am rebuilding the Girling 14LF calipers on my Alexis MK 14. The calipers are not currently using the rubber dust boot. The rebuild kit includes the dust boot. Is it recommended to use the dust boot in this application?

Your thoughts?

Many thanks,
    Ralph
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 127

I asked the same question the first time I rebuild my calipers, which were also Girling 14LF's. The consensus on the rubber dust boots was "hell no".
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Not needed

Liked: 601

Default Caliper Rebuild

Real race calipers do not have "Dust Seals".
    Discard.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 31

Hey guys. I jut came across this thread. I just rebuilt my Girling14F calipers last season and installed the dust boots as I just assumed they would need to go on as they came with the kit. What is the reason that you would not install the dust boots?

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

One more thing to screw up. Get hot, melt, trap water while long periods of sitting...etc... besides less weight!

Liked: 7

I put them in. Why not have the protection before they do get brittle and then ineffective?
    I'm a rebel; I also took the two halves apart to hone/clean the cylinders while servicing...

Liked: 601

Default Girling rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Forster View Post
    I put them in. Why not have the protection before they do get brittle and then ineffective?
    I'm a rebel; I also took the two halves apart to hone/clean the cylinders while servicing...
    As noted, you do not want the dust seals on a caliper used for racing, as the increased heat of racing pad materials can cause them to get brittle and interfere with the pistons, quicker then in a street application.

Secondly, why did you "hone the bores"?
    The pistons on that caliper ride on the seals, not the seals in the bore. Get the bore too large and then you have pistons that want to cock and cause other issues.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 7

I shouldn't have said 'honed'. Cleaned really, with Scotchbrite. I wanted clean bores to go with the new pistons...

Thread Information