Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 65

Interesting thoughts are forming in my head. I have a 17-lb fiberglass engine cover with a floppy tail* that does nothing for downforce. A light version that wouldn't have to cope with 100+ mph wind loads in track use could be made substantially lighter, removing weight from above the CG and helping move the CG forwards with ballast.

Only problem: I've never done any composite work before. Time to learn something new!

To the purists: I am not molesting the original bodywork. I'd make new.

Corey

* strengthening ribs were trimmed to clear redesigned rear pushrod arms

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1868

Should be nothing wrong with that at all, and if it were me, would be one of the first things i would look at for shedding weight.
    Last edited by R. Pare; 09.21.18 at 4:14 PM.

Liked: 309

Default MAC Member Advisory on CM Bodywork...

The MAC (Modified Advisory Committee) has sent the following to the SEB (Solo Events Board) regarding CM bodywork:

"MAC recommends the following Member Advisory:

Pursuant to retaining consistency with the intent of Club Racing regulations, the SEB is concerned about removal of bodywork for the sole purpose of reducing car weight. CM Formula Ford competitors wishing to make body alterations to their cars should request a ruling on the desired configuration if there is any doubt as to its legality."
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 65

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    The MAC (Modified Advisory Committee) has sent the following to the SEB (Solo Events Board) regarding CM bodywork:
    Playing devil's advocate here: What requirements exist in the GCR or Solo rules for bodywork to be unchanged? If there's no requirement for bodywork to be unchanged from the original supplied with the vehicle, why do we need to clear any changes with the SEB? I know my Citation's body is missing the clear windscreen and has had rear body notches added to clear the rear rocker arms and a different header than original, which seem reasonable.

Does the SEB pass along car-by-car allowances? I'm picturing sending pictures and a letter and getting "thank you for your input" in reply.

Not attacking - I'm genuinely curious as a relative newcomer in this class.

Corey

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1868

Actually, within the GCR for FF, as well as in the Cars and Equipment section, there are no requirement for ANY bodywork to be present - it only gives dimensional and material requirements for any bodywork that is actually present.

The closest thing to being a requirement for bodywork is the last sentence in:

9.3.32. LOSS OF BODYWORK
    All major body components such as front and rear hoods, fenders, doors, and windscreens shall be maintained
    in normal position throughout the competition. If loss of bodywork is a safety hazard, the car may be black-
    flagged. A car completing a competition with bodywork missing may be penalized.

But even that is wide open to interpretation.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Actually, within the GCR for FF, as well as in the Cars and Equipment section, there are no requirement for ANY bodywork to be present - it only gives dimensional and material requirements for any bodywork that is actually present.

The closest thing to being a requirement for bodywork is the last sentence in:

9.3.32. LOSS OF BODYWORK
    All major body components such as front and rear hoods, fenders, doors, and windscreens shall be maintained
    in normal position throughout the competition. If loss of bodywork is a safety hazard, the car may be black-
    flagged. A car completing a competition with bodywork missing may be penalized.

But even that is wide open to interpretation.
    Not to mention there is a minimum weight limit that prevents running without body work from reducing the weight of the car.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 41

CM Formula Ford competitors wishing to make body alterations to their cars should request a ruling on the desired configuration if there is any doubt as to its legality."
    Wow, what a terrible idea. Every person that has any sort of modified bodywork now has to get it approved? I would say that at least 50% of the 94-98 Van Diemens have some type of modification to their nose or engine cover.

Why are we trying to change the rules here? What does someone have to gain by removing the body panels?

Liked: 309

Default Advisory Not Rule Change...

Quote Originally Posted by captain_pants
    If there's no requirement for bodywork to be unchanged from the original supplied with the vehicle, why do we need to clear any changes with the SEB?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut
    Why are we trying to change the rules here? What does someone have to gain by removing the body panels?
    Please note that no rule changes are being proposed; it is to advise CM competitors to follow up with the SEB if they have questions regarding removing bodywork to make weight. The first post of the thread being an example; running a 84 Reynard without the tail to lighten the car.

In short, the MAC believes the intent of the GCR is have FF/CM cars compete with bodywork. That is, removing and/or modifying bodywork for weight purposes is understandable but running with zero bodywork is not.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

13. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

"MAC recommends the following Member Advisory:

Pursuant to retaining consistency with the intent of Club Racing regulations, the SEB is concerned about removal of bodywork for the sole purpose of reducing car weight. CM Formula Ford competitors wishing to make body alterations to their cars should request a ruling on the desired configuration if there is any doubt as to its legality."

Looks like someone sent a letter...

Modified Category
    #24775 Bodywork in CM
    Per the SEB, the requested modification would not be compliant with the rules. In particular the member is referred to Appendix A, class C Modified, paragraph A, last sentence: “The purpose of these rules is to maintain the value of these cars for Club Racing and therefore their market value, and to prevent special Solo-only Formula F vehicles.”

I will just leave this here....

Liked: 295

Bak when I had the 85 renard it was very heavy. I removed the side panels and htthen painted it all flat black with a few highlights of safety orange. Mark Lamm told me to figure it out how to get the weight good. CMods are supposed to be pretty. So I got all the aluminum parts I could find and did it right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information