Liked: 2

Default JFZ Caliper - Question + need bleeders

Hi everyone:

I'm working on an old F500 with Wilwood master cylinders and JFZ calipers. I need to replace at least one bleeder. Are JFZ and Wilwood related? Does anyone know offhand if the fittings are SAE or metric? One of the fittings I'm looking at is either 10X1.0 or 3/8-16. Any recommended parts sources? Any hints or help would be appreciated!

Liked: 307

To my knowledge JFZ is no long in business - I could be mistaken.

Easiest was to determine what the size of the bleeder screw is, is to take it to a hardware store and use their thread gauge array to ascertain exactly what you have.

If you intend to replace bleeder screws, get the EZ-Bleed bleed screws. Summitracing.com has a variety available. Eases the bleeding operation when you have to do it by yourself.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

Default Brake bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    To my knowledge JFZ is no long in business - I could be mistaken.

Easiest was to determine what the size of the bleeder screw is, is to take it to a hardware store and use their thread gauge array to ascertain exactly what you have.

If you intend to replace bleeder screws, get the EZ-Bleed bleed screws. Summitracing.com has a variety available. Eases the bleeding operation when you have to do it by yourself.
    I have an 89 red devil that I am working on for autocross. The brakes are Lockheed masters and JFZ calipers. My bleeders are 3/8" by 27 thread pitch. I know that's odd, but that's what they measure. Hope this helps.

Lighthorse

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthorse View Post
    I have an 89 red devil that I am working on for autocross. The brakes are Lockheed masters and JFZ calipers. My bleeders are 3/8" by 27 thread pitch. I know that's odd, but that's what they measure. Hope this helps.

Lighthorse
    3/8-27 sounds like the bushing the bleeder screws into. As I recall the JFZ's I had had the bushing that basically used a 3/8 pipe thread and was what the actual bleeder screwed into - 1/4-28 seems stuck in my mind for the bleeder.

The problem with JFZ's is the external crossover tube - with vibration and age if eventually breaks. The Wilwood Mini-Dynalite Single billet calipers are the direct replacement - they run about $100 at Summitracing.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wil-120-10188_w_ml.jpg 
Views:	1264 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	79116  

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 2

This is good information to have - thank you. Initial inspection shows my cross-overs look okay but until I do a proper bleeding I won't know for sure. My existing system had a mish-mash of AN and various flare fittings. I've gone back to AN for everything (including a line-lock I installed for drag racing). And I thought the brakes would be easy to sort out....

Liked: 10

JFZ is now Sierra Racing Brakes. They have gone through a few owners in the last few years, but they still have parts for the old JFZ calipers. Some of the lower line Sierra calipers are the same castings, just with the JFZ removed. I had restored a vintage Dirt Modified and needed to restore the original calipers (the Wilwood pistons are a SLIGHTLY different size,so they won't fit). They had everything I needed! Pistons, seals, bleeders and even the crossover pipes. They also have a bunch of older JFZ castings that came in handy as I needed to replace a damaged inner half. Contact them for parts.

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information