Liked: 130

Default New clothes for an old gal.....Lola T202......

My Lola T202 came to me with new body panels fresh out of the mold in white gel-coat. A vinyl stripe was applied for looks.
    I drove it one time, with my own number like this to test it out, this is the Lola at the VRG Watkins Glen event in September of 2017.

All good except gel-coat does not hold up to the sun and the orange stripe with the white body is the well known Sasco Sports livery.

For years I raced with the number 31, my son's birthday and green and blue, the Earth and Sky. So green and blue it shall be again.

The new paints are, I believe, acrylic urethanes. All compatible with one another but all must be applied within a certain time frame, often NOT longer than 12 hours. No sanding is required, the top coat partially dissolving the previous coat to adhere.

I wet sanded the gel-coat and masked off to be primed. I found a wonderful use for aluminum foil since some of the body work could not be removed without completely removing the front suspension. Not happinin.....

I shot the blue first, let it dry an hour and masked off. I then shot 2 coats of the green.

I then shot 2 coats of clear and let it all dry together overnight.

I applied my numbers and graphics the next day...

The final touch was the black stripe painted on the inside of the windscreen.

My brother Todd in his Crossle and I were one of only about a dozen cars to make it out at the Jefferson 500 before the entire event was cancelled do to terrible weather conditions...

Thanks for reading this far,

Allan

"Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery."
    Last edited by Allan31; 05.22.18 at 5:08 PM.

2. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 208

I say leave the aluminum foil on the suspension! Gives it that outer space sort of look.

Nice job.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Wow.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 5

Default Scott is back

Nice job scott

Liked: 210

WOW! I never would have thought green/blue would go well together. But those shads are absolutely stunning together. Looks just GREAT!
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Thread Information