Liked: 39

Default 1995 Swift Formula Renault

Over the past winter, I've completely rebuilt a 95 Formula Renault. I thought I would share some photos of the build.

My dad and I have been racing for as log as I can remember. We raced latemodels, Legend cars, snowmobiles, etc.
    About 6 years ago, we learned of a brand new road course that had opened up within an hour of our place ( Calabogie Motorspots Park). We normally had to drive 3-10 hours to oval race. We bought a Legend car with an R1 engine and ran it for the past few years in our local Formula Libre evening series. Other than safety rules, it’s a run what you brung class, with everything from Stohrs, Radicals, Formula Mazdas, Renaults,FFs, Formula Vees, Legend cars and everything in between. It’s a great evening series with beer and food afterwards, and great guys (and gals). I enjoy fabricating and building cars, so over the last few years, we modified the Legend car quite a bit. I built a Turbocharged ZX10R motor for it, had 10” tires all around, swaybars etc. We had the car beating most of the Formula Mazdas and FFs.

At the end of last season we had the opportunity to bring our Legend out to Area 27 in BC and test it for a few days. At the end of our trip, someone offered to buy the car from us. We agreed on a price and sold it. But now we were out of a car. We found out a local racer had this 95 Formula Renault. We actually raced against it once in our Libre series but he blew it up. He had it rebuilt, but had not raced it again as he moved on to faster cars.

We bought it with the intention of tearing it down, fixing a few small things and racing it this year. When we tore it down, we found a bunch of issues with the car. This is my first “open wheel” car, so I’ve learnt lots along the way. We are frugal, and we got the car for less than we sold the Legend for, so its definetly a budget build. Lots of late nights and many beverages consumed its nearly done.

The car came with a 2.0L Renault Motor and a 5 speed LD200. My understanding was that back in ’95 you would buy a package from Renault Sport and build the rest of the car around that. I believe the package consisted of the Motor, bellhousing, gearbox, wheels, brakes, dash,electronics, steering rack and maybe a few other pieces. The motor was freshly rebuilt, so it mainly was left alone aside from a few issues that I found.

I found a pair of JFR200 boxes on Apex for a steal, and decided to convert the car over to the sequential. This meant all new suspension mounts, and many other small modifications.

I also wanted to make the car a little safer. The fiberglass body provided very little protection from intrusion, so I added protection plates all around the chassis.

The lower rear subframe sections were bent from a previous crash, as was the plate that connected the spars with the bellhousing. I made a new plate and tried to straighten out the chassis as bestI could. It is within an 1/8” of being square, but there is some “twang” in the chassis still.

We did get the car out last weekend for a test day, and unfortunately only got a fewlaps in before noticing that the tensioner pulley for the water pump belt had failed. The car seemed pretty smooth, and I’m pretty happy with the outcome so far. The pedals need some adjustments to make things comfortable, and a shorter throw shift lever is in order too.

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

A few more pictures.

And a few more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 896

Very nice job!

Price? Maybe i missed it by spending my time looking at the nice job you did.

Where in Canada are you located?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Very nice job!

Thanks Jay! I posted this in the discussion page. I don't have plans to sell it right now

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Very nice job!

An hour from Calabogie puts him in the Ottawa Valley.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    An hour from Calabogie puts him in the Ottawa Valley.
    Correct. Petawawa to be exact.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by petawawarace View Post
    Thanks Jay! I posted this in the discussion page. I don't have plans to sell it right now

thanks, more attention must be paid.. Great work imo.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Any suggestions on what the proper alignment specs we should have on this car? Currently we have 1/16” toe out on each front wheel, 1/16” toe in on the rear. 3 degrees of camber in the front, and 1 degree in the rear. We are running Pirelli radials. Does this sound reasonable?

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Old thread - Some new information to share...

I've posted some items on FB. Got a note back from a Gerald Elliot @ Elliot Racing that I'll share. I am only passing along - not involved and not really sure where this should go...

Just to let you know that Atlantic Racing Team in Halifax , Nova Scotia have a number Formula Renault racing wheels with center wheel nut plus I believe some other parts. Cleaning out their warehouse so need them gone. Contact is Lucas Strackerjan at Kart Bahn Racing or Atlantic Racing Team.
    Maybe somebody can find utility? Maybe recommend a better location?

Cheers - Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Liked: 597

Applause !!

If your F&R corner weights are about 45 pounds biased toward the rear I think your set up numbers are a good starting point

Thread Information