Liked: 2

Default Autocrossing the Banshee

I picked up the car on Saturday and made it to my first event on Sunday. I am happy with the initial performance, it was all I hoped it would be. I left the 133 compound American Racer spec tires on with 15 psi. I was about 5 sec off ftd clean and 3 sec off with 1 cone. I am going to run the car as is because the tires are good to let me know if i am getting sloppy. Last run I spun out mid course, pushing too hard at the wrong turn.

I am still researching tires and wheels. Aside of spec rules, is there a suspension geometry consideration that warrants smaller diameter tires up front? Can I run the same size tire all around?

Liked: 182

Default Tires

Mine is happier with 12 to 13 psi. Softer Hoosiers will help a lot . Good take offs are available.

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    Mine is happier with 12 to 13 psi. Softer Hoosiers will help a lot . Good take offs are available.
    What size tires and rims are you running?

5.5 X 13 with FF tires. AR 133 spec are hard and wouldn't worm up in an autocross.
    hoosier makes some good soft and med soft. Check their website. Take offs are available

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default FF Tires

If you are planning to autocross the car and not road race it, get a set of Hoosier A2500 20x7x13 fronts, 22.5x7.5x13 canelevered rear tires, R25 compound for all. They will give you the best grip and your car and they should match the weight distribution of your car. That is what most of us are running on the FF's in autocross. Used tires are available from John Berget in Wisconsin or by posting a WTB here. Good Luck.

Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Default I had a great weekend at Pocono

Still getting used to car. Body panels are off still working on small leaks My best run was a 75 in day 3, slow run was an 88 in 2nd gear beginning day 2. Fast cars 69/70 slow cars high 80's low 90's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1269-(ZF-8106-19259-2-003).jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	79266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1271-(ZF-8106-19259-2-004).jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	79267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1272-(ZF-8106-19259-2-005).jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	79268  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1274-(ZF-8106-19259-2-001).jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	79269  
    Last edited by JoeE; 06.20.18 at 3:30 PM.
    Banshee #006 morphing from spec to maybe AM. I live for G force acceleration....

Surprised, leaks in an air cooled engine.
    i found the stock pressed steel valve covers seal better.

looks like you are having fun

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    Surprised, leaks in an air cooled engine.
    i found the stock pressed steel valve covers seal better.

looks like you are having fun
    Yes, now with the under steer is gone I can focus on how much courage I have to really push it. I have a lot of seeping leaks valve covers just right side I already fixed left side, minor drip or so at oil pump, have replaced oil lines to remote filter old fittings maybe a drip or so all day.

This winter will be a full tear down to replace all gaskets and seals. Right now I have an event every 2 weeks til mid September, I hoped when i bought the car it would have had less drips.
    Banshee #006 morphing from spec to maybe AM. I live for G force acceleration....

Thread Information