Liked: 179

Default Sequential Gearbox

Just going through the March SCCA Fast Track and noticed this. I guess sequentials are now legal, I wish I new that before I dropped a boatload on my LD 200 rebuild.

FC
    1. #22958 (Robert Wright) Sequential Gearbox in FC/FFIn GCR section 9.1.1.B.17, make changes as follows:
    Transmission
    Any transmission may be used with not more than four (4) forward gears and an operationalreverse gear. The change gear ratios are unrestricted.
    a. The use of an automatic and/or sequentially shifted gearbox is prohibited.
    b. Electronic and/or electro-mechanical assisted gear change mechanisms are prohibited.
    c. Flat-shift, throttle blip/cut out or any other type of “shift assist” whether electronic or mechanical is prohibited.
    d. Paddle shift is prohibited.
    e. Shifting shall be through a mechanical linkage only and shall have no electronic sensorsattached or con gured for any purpose.
    c. f. Gearboxes with shafts that are transverse to the longitudinal axis of the chassis are not allowed. The
    sole exceptions are the gearbox nal drive (crownwheel) shaft axis and nal drive shafts (half shafts).
    d. g. All change gears must be located in the case aft of the nal drive.In GCR section 9.1.1.B.20.A. and B., make changes as follows: Weight
    A. Formula F
    1. Ford Cortina Engine: 1060 lbs.
    2. Ford Kent and Honda Fit Engines: 1110 lbs.
    3. Cars complying with the English FF rules under the Alternative Allowance Table which exceed the maximum allowable SCCA body width of 95 cm add 25 lbs. E ective July 1, 2018all FF cars shall be required to meet the maximum allowed width as described in 9.1.1.B.4.c; atsuch time this provision (3) shall become null and void.
    4. Cars running with a sequentially shifted gear box shall add 25 lbs. to minimum weight.
    B. Formula Continental
    1. Pinto Engine: 1200 lbs.
    2. Pinto with aluminum cylinder head: 1200 lbs.
    3. Zetec Engine: 1200 lbs.
    4. Cars running with a sequentially shifted gear box shall add 25 lbs. to minimum weight.

Liked: 126

Useless rule unless someone wants to blank out a gear in a USF2000 car. Or maybe use the gearbox being phased out of FE. And of course, per the usual BS, you get to add 25 lbs to min weight. The USF2000 gearbox already weighs more and places the car's COG much further aft.

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT1 View Post
    Just going through the March SCCA Fast Track and noticed this. I guess sequentials are now legal, I wish I new that before I dropped a boatload on my LD 200 rebuild.
    That is not how I understood that section. It states before that:

The Club Racing Board met by teleconference on February 6, 2018. Participating were... The following decisions were made:

Recommended Items
    The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address allcomments, both for and against, to the Club Racing Board. It is the BoD’s policy to withholdvoting on a rules change until there has been input from the membership on the presented rules. Member input is suggested and encouraged. Please send your comments via the format www.clubracingboard.com.

So, the Club Racing Board is recommending that the Board of Directors approve the use of sequential gearboxes but it is not final until the Board approves it which they may or may not do.

Those more informed on the process can weigh in but that is what I read from it.

Eric Little

Liked: 3279

Default Out for comments, not yet a rule

^^^^ previous post

Exactly!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 179

Ok that makes sense. Well, now I'm glad I got my gearbox rebuilt. But I am glad they are considering it as an alternative.

thanks for the clarity.

Brian

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

If they do this, the most tragic of things will then happen to the FC class.....

We WILL have to display a minimum weight sticker since there will be more than 1 minimum weight for the class.

Thread Information