Liked: 22

Default Renesis engine swap and staying in spec.

So reading the latest scca gcr i noticed that the rx8 ren 4 port engine is now allowed as a powerplant for formula mazda. Im VERY interested in this as I would like fuel injection and a cheap modern engine that has no shortage of parts. Seeing as how i run my car as a FA in midwestern council having the option to pull out the restrictor plate and get a 10-20hp or so power bump would be nice. So what's the deal with it? When's the swap kit becoming available if ever? What's the header mentioned in the gcr? Anyway what's the scoop?

Liked: 530

Swap kit? Ha! Start engineering..

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Swap kit? Ha! Start engineering..
    Ahem, this is directly out of the Jan 2018 scca gcr:

"E. Alternate Header (13B) Moses Smith Racing P/N 050-133 or Moses Smith Racing system provided with
    Renesis conversion kit is permitted."

If something is provided with a "Renesis conversion kit" I'd assume there is such a thing as a renesis conversion kit..
    I can easily convert my car to ren power, but, I want information on the spec legal conversion that MSR is doing due to the shortage of engines out there. There is specific part numbers listed to be used in the conversion, parts that are not yet listed on the FM website.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default new motor

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
    Ahem, this is directly out of the Jan 2018 scca gcr:

"E. Alternate Header (13B) Moses Smith Racing P/N 050-133 or Moses Smith Racing system provided with
    Renesis conversion kit is permitted."

If something is provided with a "Renesis conversion kit" I'd assume there is such a thing as a renesis conversion kit..
    I can easily convert my car to ren power, but, I want information on the spec legal conversion that MSR is doing due to the shortage of engines out there. There is specific part numbers listed to be used in the conversion, parts that are not yet listed on the FM website.
    This package was in development when Gary owned Star Mazda I think Mike Anderson tested one, Then down the road Moses did more testing You cal Moses and he will tell you all about buy the sealed motor and the Kit and put it in your car this has been around for years just in case the 13b parts run out. Moses has all your answers. There a reason no one has it in there car Dwayne Anderson

I was planning on giving him a call this week and asking about it. Was there some sorts of issues with running the renesis? Sounds like you know some info on it. I'm just very interested because i run my car in multiple classes and having the ability to up the power by simply pulling a restrictor would really help me be more competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Anderson View Post
    This package was in development when Gary owned Star Mazda I think Mike Anderson tested one, Then down the road Moses did more testing You cal Moses and he will tell you all about buy the sealed motor and the Kit and put it in your car this has been around for years just in case the 13b parts run out. Moses has all your answers. There a reason no one has it in there car Dwayne Anderson

Liked: 530

After you give him a call you can let me know whether or not you still believe there is an off the shelf solution. I stand by my comment - start engineering if you want to run a Renesis in an earlier FM car. It takes a lot more than a fit check. Look at the radiators in PFM for starters.. And then consider reliability for all the parts downstream of the engine..

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    After you give him a call you can let me know whether or not you still believe there is an off the shelf solution. I stand by my comment - start engineering if you want to run a Renesis in an earlier FM car. It takes a lot more than a fit check. Look at the radiators in PFM for starters.. And then consider reliability for all the parts downstream of the engine..
    Up until last September, I owned the original standard FM Renesis Prototype. The 4-port engine had re-designed motor mounts and of course a new header. I'm not sure if the engine to transaxle adapter was a one off.
    The transaxle was ungraded to MK-5 internals and the engine cover had two bulges, one on either side, to allow for clearance of the factory intake. It was fitted with a Motec M-4 ECU and an ADL dash. The cooling system was marginal.
    The motor was in need of a rebuild so I optioned for a 2009 6 port Gen II engine. The change put the car in FS but was a 50HP gain over the restricted 4-port. That is close to the limit of the transaxle but the engine only made 164ft lbs. of torque
    The only mod I had to make as to remove the little electric motor that operated the APV (it interfered with a structural member). I just locked the valves in the open position.
    The oil injectors were removed and I used a 80:1 oil mix. Victor Seaber of VIPER at VIR gave me information on a couple of larger radiators that had the same dimensions of the stock radiators. I also installed individual thermostats to control two 14" fans. Each fan was set to automatically come on progressively at 180F with manual override for each fan(it worked great).
    I was told the reason the original project never went forward was the costs involved to upgrade an old chassis. They then moved on to the PFM.
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

8. The following members LIKED this post:

That's some really good information!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutchins View Post
    Up until last September, I owned the original standard FM Renesis Prototype. The 4-port engine had re-designed motor mounts and of course a new header. I'm not sure if the engine to transaxle adapter was a one off.
    The transaxle was ungraded to MK-5 internals and the engine cover had two bulges, one on either side, to allow for clearance of the factory intake. It was fitted with a Motec M-4 ECU and an ADL dash. The cooling system was marginal.
    The motor was in need of a rebuild so I optioned for a 2009 6 port Gen II engine. The change put the car in FS but was a 50HP gain over the restricted 4-port. That is close to the limit of the transaxle but the engine only made 164ft lbs. of torque
    The only mod I had to make as to remove the little electric motor that operated the APV (it interfered with a structural member). I just locked the valves in the open position.
    The oil injectors were removed and I used a 80:1 oil mix. Victor Seaber of VIPER at VIR gave me information on a couple of larger radiators that had the same dimensions of the stock radiators. I also installed individual thermostats to control two 14" fans. Each fan was set to automatically come on progressively at 180F with manual override for each fan(it worked great).
    I was told the reason the original project never went forward was the costs involved to upgrade an old chassis. They then moved on to the PFM.

Liked: 12

Dmitri,
    If its a "spare" engine you need, or if yours is getting older and you need another.... My engine is sitting at Moses' place needing a new home. Super engine, only about 10 races on the rebuild, sealed from Drummond, has all the accessories/intake/carb/clutch.

Give Moses a call and he can hook you up with it.

Thread Information